LS1: OpenVPN?

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 8 , May 24, 2005
      Does anybody know if the FW 1.45_13/2.4.17 kernel does or doesn't support Tun (or Tap)
      devices, as needed by OpenVPN?

      -Andre
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2005
        Is that a stock or Debian-converted LinkStation? I've successfully
        installed OpenVPN on a Debian LinkStation I.

        http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/ - LinkStationWiki

        <lalunas10@y...> wrote:
        > Does anybody know if the FW 1.45_13/2.4.17 kernel does or doesn't
        support Tun (or Tap)
        > devices, as needed by OpenVPN?
        >
        > -Andre
      • lalunas10
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > Is that a stock or Debian-converted LinkStation? I've successfully
          > installed OpenVPN on a Debian LinkStation I.

          It's the stock LS 1. OpenVPN does compile, but it's useless w/o the tun module. Could you
          make yours available please, so I could test it? Provided you're on firmware 1.45_13,
          otherwise, it wouldn't work, I fear.

          -Andre
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2005
            Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
            additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a custom
            firmware with the tun modules included?

            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2005
              <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
              > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
              > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
              > custom firmware with the tun modules included?

              They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
              need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
              to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
              compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
              immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
              have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
              compatible libssl and liblzo1.

              So hopefully you can eventually tell us what all you did to get it
              to work in Debian at least?
            • wedgemusic
              Message 6 of 8 , May 31, 2005
                I'm still working on a tutorial. Hopefully I'll have it posted soon :)

                <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                > > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
                > > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
                > > custom firmware with the tun modules included?
                >
                > They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
                > need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
                > to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
                > compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
                > immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
                > have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
                > compatible libssl and liblzo1.
                >
                > So hopefully you can eventually tell us what all you did to get it
                > to work in Debian at least?
              • lalunas10
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic" <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                  > Is that a stock or Debian-converted LinkStation? I've successfully
                  > installed OpenVPN on a Debian LinkStation I.

                  It's a stock LS 1.

                  -Andre
                • lalunas10
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart" <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                    > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
                    > > Sorry, I'm running a Debian-converted LinkStation I with the
                    > > additional modules package. Perhaps you could try creating a
                    > > custom firmware with the tun modules included?
                    >
                    > They don't need Debian to install extra kernel modules. They will
                    > need load them in a script somewhere however. They will also have
                    > to fight the infamous "dependency hell" problems getting OpenVPN to
                    > compile and run in the first place that us Debian users are mostly
                    > immune to. ... Actually I just checked and it looks like all they
                    > have to make sure they have (other than the obvious libc6) is a
                    > compatible libssl and liblzo1.

                    Compiling OpenVPN 2.0 on a stock LS 1 is no problem, provided you have the kuro
                    openssl binary installed. LZO compression is optional. The ./configure script will tell you
                    what to do if it's not installed, and disabling LZO in the openvpn configuration is trivial.
                    Just I would need to get the tun module to make use of it.

                    -Andre