/var/log/messages

  • JSCHLADE
    Message 1 of 10 , May 22, 2005
      I'm trying to figure out why my LS II won't work with a new hard drive.
      I followed geishuettner's instructions. How do you view the messages
      in /var/log/messages?

      I think I need to mount the ramdrive first but I don't know how to do
      this. Any help would be appreciated.
      Message 2 of 10 , May 22, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "JSCHLADE" <jschlade@y...>
        wrote:
        > I'm trying to figure out why my LS II won't work with a new hard drive.
        > I followed geishuettner's instructions. How do you view the messages
        > in /var/log/messages?

        less /var/log/messages

        > I think I need to mount the ramdrive first but I don't know how to
        > do this.

        Oh yea, this assumes the kernel mounted it. If you are putting your
        original drive back in to boot the system, then it should be mounting
        it, is there anything in /var? Do a:

        ls /var

        and see if it lists anything.

        You can also do a:

        df -h

        and it will list all your "mounts"

        Any help would be appreciated.

        If you are *not* working with your LS by putting the old drive back
        in, please let us know what are you doing. Are you able to access the
        LS (via telnet like the Kuroboxes can) with the hard drive not mounted?
      • JSCHLADE
        Message 3 of 10 , May 23, 2005
          Thanks for the reply James.

          Sorry, I wasn't clear in my last message. After I tried and failed
          to get my *new* hard to work, I then booted up my Linux PC with the
          drive attached to see if there was a trace as to why my LS II failed
          with this new drive. At this point I realized I didn't have
          a /var/log/messages file. Actually, upon examination /var isn't
          even a directory. Maybe that's my problem?

          I've verified that I haven't hosed my LS II by re-attaching the
          original drive. This drive still boots fine... thank God.

          Does anyone have any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this problem?
          As you can see I'm not a UNIX expert. At this point, I'm not sure
          at what point the failure is occurring?

          Message 4 of 10 , May 23, 2005
            <jschlade@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the reply James.
            >
            > At this point I realized I didn't have
            > a /var/log/messages file. Actually, upon examination /var isn't
            > even a directory. Maybe that's my problem?

            Could be. Try creating one.

            > I've verified that I haven't hosed my LS II by re-attaching the
            > original drive. This drive still boots fine... thank God.
            >
            > Does anyone have any ideas on how I could troubleshoot this
            > problem?

            Can someone talk him through putting an entry in the init scripts
            just after the disk gets mounted rw that would dump the kernel
            message log and syslog out to files that actually lives on the hard
            drive? (i.e. a current LS-II owner that has enough Linux know-how)

            > As you can see I'm not a UNIX expert. At this point, I'm not sure
            > at what point the failure is occurring?

            Yes, it is hard dealing with a machine that doesn't have a console
            display.
          • JSCHLADE
            Message 5 of 10 , May 24, 2005

              > Can someone talk him through putting an entry in the init scripts
              > just after the disk gets mounted rw that would dump the kernel
              > message log and syslog out to files that actually lives on the hard
              > drive? (i.e. a current LS-II owner that has enough Linux know-how)

              Does anyone know how to do this?

              Thanks,
              John
            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 10 , May 24, 2005
                John,

                Take a look at /dev/fl3
                cat /dev/fl3 xxx
                less xxx

                if it's set to "NGNG..." then it needs to be set to "OKOK"
                echo -n "OKOK" > /dev/fl3

                JR

                > I'm trying to figure out why my LS II won't work with a new hard drive.
                > I followed geishuettner's instructions. How do you view the messages
                > in /var/log/messages?
                >
                > I think I need to mount the ramdrive first but I don't know how to do
                > this. Any help would be appreciated.
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • michael_harper75
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                  Ive been noticing some weird messages in /var/log/messages having to
                  do with /dev/tty :

                  Jan 4 12:59:55 linkstation getty[24215]: /dev/tty6: cannot open as
                  standard input: No such device
                  Jan 4 12:59:55 linkstation init: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled
                  for 5 minutes
                  Jan 4 12:59:59 linkstation getty[24217]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as
                  standard input: No such device
                  Jan 4 12:59:59 linkstation init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled
                  for 5 minutes
                  Jan 4 13:00:04 linkstation getty[24224]: /dev/tty2: cannot open as
                  standard input: No such device
                  Jan 4 13:00:05 linkstation init: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled
                  for 5 minutes
                  Jan 4 13:00:08 linkstation mc_ctld[537]: Timer is released. (because
                  timer file isn't able to be read)
                  Jan 4 13:00:10 linkstation getty[24226]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as
                  standard input: No such device
                  Jan 4 13:00:14 linkstation init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled
                  for 5 minutes
                  Jan 4 13:00:20 linkstation getty[24228]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as
                  standard input: No such device

                  etc/inittab reads:
                  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
                  2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
                  3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
                  4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
                  5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
                  6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

                  should i comment this out? anybody know what this means?
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Yes, you are on the right track. It is trying to open virtual
                    consoles on a non-existent serial port. Here is what that part of my
                    /etc/inittab looks like:

                    1:2345:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
                    2:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
                    3:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
                    4:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
                    5:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
                    6:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6

                    Notice "respawn" was replaced with "off".

                    Is this from a recent installation of Freelink? If so please let them
                    know about this.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 4, 2006
                      I guess they already know about, I just didnt look hard enough.

                      http://linkstationwiki.org/PITS/00004,

                      <wartstew@y...> wrote:

                      > Yes, you are on the right track. It is trying to open virtual
                      > consoles on a non-existent serial port. Here is what that part of my
                      > /etc/inittab looks like:
                      >
                      > 1:2345:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
                      > 2:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
                      > 3:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
                      > 4:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
                      > 5:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
                      > 6:23:off:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
                      >
                      > Notice "respawn" was replaced with "off".
                      >
                      > Is this from a recent installation of Freelink? If so please let them
                      > know about this.
                      >
                      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "michael_harper75"
                      > <cain171562@g...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Ive been noticing some weird messages in /var/log/messages having to
                      > > do with /dev/tty :
                      > >
                      > > Jan 4 12:59:55 linkstation getty[24215]: /dev/tty6: cannot open as
                      > > standard input: No such device
                      > > Jan 4 12:59:55 linkstation init: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled
                      > > for 5 minutes
                      > > Jan 4 12:59:59 linkstation getty[24217]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as
                      > > standard input: No such device
                      > > Jan 4 12:59:59 linkstation init: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled
                      > > for 5 minutes
                      > > Jan 4 13:00:04 linkstation getty[24224]: /dev/tty2: cannot open as
                      > > standard input: No such device
                      > > Jan 4 13:00:05 linkstation init: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled
                      > > for 5 minutes
                      > > Jan 4 13:00:08 linkstation mc_ctld[537]: Timer is released. (because
                      > > timer file isn't able to be read)
                      > > Jan 4 13:00:10 linkstation getty[24226]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as
                      > > standard input: No such device
                      > > Jan 4 13:00:14 linkstation init: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled
                      > > for 5 minutes
                      > > Jan 4 13:00:20 linkstation getty[24228]: /dev/tty4: cannot open as
                      > > standard input: No such device
                      > >

                      > > etc/inittab reads:
                      > > 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
                      > > 2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
                      > > 3:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty3
                      > > 4:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty4
                      > > 5:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty5
                      > > 6:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty6
                      > >
                      > > should i comment this out? anybody know what this means?

                    • Art Age
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 11, 2006
                        Buffalo has announced a new addition to the
                        LinkStation line: HS-D300GL and HS-D400GL. These
                        appear to be typical LinkStations with software
                        support for the DLNA standard used by its new
                        LinkTheater Mini. However, it is possible that there
                        are hardware differences (beefier processor and
                        memory, for example), to run the new server software.
                        If anyone has any hardware details, please share them!

                        Here's a link:

                        http://www.buffalotech.com/products/product-detail.php?productid=132&categoryid=16