How to recover Buffalo OS (an answer!) after debian boot problems

  • downlalaway
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2005
      Ok, just to fill in a story of what can happen and a basic solution if
      you've been unlucky while installing the debian build on a LS1 and end
      up not being able to ping and boot fails.
      You know boot may not be correct if there's only about 5 flashes on
      the power (usually 10-20secs of it) when booting and almost no disc noise.
      This route may also help in fixing simple 'bricked' linkstations
      (don't know if it will when kuro re-flashing's occurred) and guides to
      removing debian and going back to 'buffalo LS' linux if you're not
      happy (couldn't know why one would want to attempt to make an
      effective low power full server/linux box and then later turn it back
      to a simple IP accessible hard drive).

      I used the http://frontalot.is-a-geek.net:81/wiki which works to put
      debian OS in and I corrected minor typos as I went.
      First time it all went well (although got concerned about using the
      security packages in case they cut me off). Eventually when trying to
      install cups/foomatic it hung on foomatic-ppd or similar). After few
      plug-pulling resets 'cos dpkg is blocked and can't find the solution
      and its now also blocking webmin from taking clients (possibly
      security packages but kept trying).

      Anyway so I take the disc out, wipe everything and reinstall it
      (wanted more root space too...). Do all the setting etc and put it
      back in -doesn't connect. hmmm.. HD out again, reconnect to HD and
      change IP settings. But forgot to reset the jumper on the HD from
      Slave back to CS so when rebooting the red light flashed so I stop it
      change jumper to CS and then start again. Now there's still no contact
      at all on the IP address I'd entered in etc/network/interfaces but
      green lights are ok.

      Well after many hours/days time, several wipe and reinstalls and some
      help from warstew I realised it was only booting to the flash so I was
      on the wrong IP address. Found it quickly with the buffalo ip setup
      utility (and cursed the wasted hours). This must have happened
      somewhere along the line e.g. when it couldn't find the HD and paniced
      to flash. What I didn't realise was that it might not reset to boot
      from HD the following time. I'd thought it was possibly incorrect
      modules, but warstew says that many modules have been used that
      possibly shouldn't. Of course it wasn't loading them...

      How to recover quickly:

      0. Might as well set the hard disc up right beforehand:
      2GB root (linux ext3 type 83), 512M swap(82), rest (linux type83),
      using on linux> cfdisk /dev/hdx and then follow the 'obvious' usage.
      1. Run the Buffalo IP search prog on Win XP box - change LS's IP if
      necessary.
      2. Install firmware (open the zip and run the exe.)
      I used 1.45 kindly shared by someone here (thanks!)
      3. Now got a fully restored stock Linkstation.
      4. Check Ip again and reinstall debian and packages (NB webmin is great!)

      A painful process to learn for a noob, but now know how to restore the
      original Buffalo OS firmware from software/OS problems and how to very
      quickly connect the LS hard disc to a PC. I guess this should get you
      out of any trouble unless you changed the flash with the kuro-box
      install. -it worked for me

      Phil

      PS.Haven't tried cups again for print server but will and also want to
      see if xane makes it possible to serve a scanner and maybe a webcam
      (or IP camera managed web serving). Anybody tried this?
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "downlalaway"
        <downlalaway@y...> wrote:

        > You know boot may not be correct if there's only about 5 flashes
        > on the power (usually 10-20secs of it) when booting and almost no
        > disc noise.

        > I realised it was only booting to the flash so I was on the wrong
        > IP address. Found it quickly with the buffalo ip setup
        > utility

        Thanks for this info, I was a little unclear what happens in this
        case on the LS, I am running the Kurobox kernel + initrd these days
        which has a more useful "EM" mode instead.

        > Haven't tried cups again for print server but will

        Maybe it is time to look at the entries in /etc/rc2.d to make sure
        that networking and telnetd/sshd start up before anything new you
        might experiment with (like CUPS) so you can still get in if
        something hangs.

        > and also want to see if xane makes it possible to serve a scanner

        There is a usb scanner kernel module available. I'm not sure if it
        would only load on the kurobox kernel or not however.

        > and maybe a webcam (or IP camera managed web serving). Anybody
        tried this?

        The kurobox kernel also has a drivers/media/video/videodrv.o module,
        but I'm unsure about what it is for. I didn't see anything that
        looked like a USB webcam module in the drivers/usb section however.
      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30, 2005
          Can you tell me what the typos are so that I may correct them? Thank you!

          Message 4 of 4 , May 31, 2005
            I did them as I went -before you updated it.
            I looked yesterday and they were in.

            Also have some info on ntp settings - just followed ntp.org and
            ntp-pool.org advice to get it talking to a server.
            In the ntp.conf file I used:
            server ntp2b.mcc.ac.uk
            server 0.pool.ntp.org
            server 1.pool.ntp.org
            It had slipped 13mins out in about 7 days and after a reboot it synced
            perfectly. There was a little difficulty getting it to agree on a
            sync without the first server and there may have been other tricks
            which I will check and get back to you/edit.

            Should have some info eventually on setting up usb for portable hard
            drives, webcams, scanner and printers(hopefully).
            Its a bit scrappy how I've done it so far so will need testing from
            someone with a clean install.

            Many thanks again for the wiki. Used your apahe setup advice since
            completely clueless on how to use it. What's the wiki package?

            Still want to put a webmail up - was looking at an
            openwebmail/sendmail combination to serve my emails and history when
            I'm out and about - it would hopefully make Outlook fairly redundant :-))

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"