Crosscompiler (SSH for Linkstation 1 with fw 1.45_13)? / DynDNS

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 10 , May 17, 2005
      Hi all, hi balimbabullabe,

      has anybody set up a crosscompiler for the Linkstation1 (PowerPC) with
      orig. firmware (=debian 2.4.17)? Since there is no ssh without
      security issues available for this old version of debian, but there is
      sourcecode to make one
      (http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/), I am
      looking for somebody who has a working (cross)compiler or is able to
      install one.
      I also need a DynDNS client since my router has none. ddclient looks
      promising, any experiences?

      Thanks!
    • lalunas10
      Message 2 of 10 , May 17, 2005
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel" <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
        [...]
        > I also need a DynDNS client since my router has none. ddclient looks
        > promising, any experiences?

        <http://www.funtaff.com/software/addns.pl/> has always worked for me, on various
        systems.

        -Andre
      • Thoralf Freitag
        Message 3 of 10 , May 17, 2005

          sshd is available in the kuro binaries http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip

          I also need a DynDNS client since my router has none. ddclient looks
          promising, any experiences?

          Thanks!

        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 10 , May 17, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Thoralf Freitag
            <tf_0815@y...> wrote:
            > haberschnasel schrieb:
            >
            > > Hi all, hi balimbabullabe,
            > >
            > > has anybody set up a crosscompiler for the Linkstation1 (PowerPC) with
            > > orig. firmware (=debian 2.4.17)? Since there is no ssh without
            > > security issues available for this old version of debian, but there is
            > > sourcecode to make one
            > > (http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/),
            > > <http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/%29,> I am
            > > looking for somebody who has a working (cross)compiler or is able to
            > > install one.
            >

            > sshd is available in the kuro binaries
            > http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip

            but its an old version i think....he searched for sshd without
            security issues. thats why he needs someone to compile the source.

            > > I also need a DynDNS client since my router has none. ddclient looks
            > > promising, any experiences?
            > >
            > > Thanks!

          • Thoralf Freitag
            Message 5 of 10 , May 17, 2005
              cherrytreeproduction schrieb:

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Thoralf Freitag
              > <tf_0815@y...> wrote:
              > > haberschnasel schrieb:
              > >
              > > > Hi all, hi balimbabullabe,
              > > >
              > > > has anybody set up a crosscompiler for the Linkstation1 (PowerPC) with
              > > > orig. firmware (=debian 2.4.17)? Since there is no ssh without
              > > > security issues available for this old version of debian, but there is
              > > > sourcecode to make one
              > > > (http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/),
              > <http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/%29,>
              > > > <http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/%29,> I am
              > > > looking for somebody who has a working (cross)compiler or is able to
              > > > install one.
              > >

              > > sshd is available in the kuro binaries
              > > http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
              > >

              > but its an old version i think....he searched for sshd without
              > security issues. thats why he needs someone to compile the source.

              He should install:

              autoconf-2.13.tar.gz
              automake-1.4p4.tar.gz
              binutils-2.10.91.0.2.tar.gz
              bison-1.28.tar.gz
              diff-2.7.tar.gz
              flex-2.5.4.tar.gz
              g++-2.95.3.tar.gz
              gdb-5.1.tar.gz
              glibc-2.2.3.tar.gz
              libgdbm-1.7.3.tar.gz
              libstdc++2.10-2.95.3.tar.gz
              m4-1.4.tar.gz
              make-3.79.1.tar.gz
              textutils-2.0.tar.gz

              which comes also with this binary packet. Then it should be possible to
              compile it at his own linkstation.

              TF
            • haberschnasel
              Message 6 of 10 , May 17, 2005
                <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Thoralf Freitag
                > <tf_0815@y...> wrote:
                > > haberschnasel schrieb:
                > >
                > > > Hi all, hi balimbabullabe,
                > > >
                > > > has anybody set up a crosscompiler for the Linkstation1
                (PowerPC) with
                > > > orig. firmware (=debian 2.4.17)? Since there is no ssh without
                > > > security issues available for this old version of debian, but
                there is
                > > > sourcecode to make one
                > > > (http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/),
                > > > <http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/main/o/openssh/%29,> I am
                > > > looking for somebody who has a working (cross)compiler or is able to
                > > > install one.
                > >

                > > sshd is available in the kuro binaries
                > > http://www.revogear.com/downloads/binary.zip
                > >

                > but its an old version i think....he searched for sshd without
                > security issues. thats why he needs someone to compile the source.

                Exactly. The Kuro binary is way older than the 3.4p1 version on
                security.debian.org (which is precompiled for Powerpc, you just have
                to convert .deb to .tar, which is easyly done on any modern debian
                system). But 3.4p1 still has this security issue:
                http://www.openssh.com/txt/buffer.adv
                There is also a root exploit existing for this issue, so I would
                rather use ftp than this old ssh. In the advisory they tell you how to
                fix the sources, but because our old debian is no longer supported
                they did not put things together an compiled it for us.
                I do not know enough Linux to cross-compile it, but maybe someone on
                this list can?

                Any help still welcome!
              • balimbabullabe
                Message 7 of 10 , May 17, 2005
                  You should be able to install one yourself, it's relatively easy.
                  Either you can use a compiler for your Linkstation (native compile) or
                  I think it should be possible to use the DENX ELDK I used for the MIPS
                  Linkstation, theres also an eldk for PPC.
                  Second you could try and use a sshd from any ppc debian distribution.
                  If it's not possible to install using aptget you could get the .deb
                  file and convert it to a tgz file using the utility "alien".

                  > > > looking for somebody who has a working (cross)compiler or is able
                  > > > to install one.
                • haberschnasel
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 17, 2005
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                    <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                    > You should be able to install one yourself, it's relatively easy.
                    > Either you can use a compiler for your Linkstation (native compile) or
                    > I think it should be possible to use the DENX ELDK I used for the MIPS
                    > Linkstation, theres also an eldk for PPC.

                    OK, if nobody set one of these two up already I might try that. But
                    since I have no big idea of Linux I think I will fail. Anyway, thanks
                    for the help so far, also to Thoralf for his install-list! (Is there
                    any way to get rid of all the installed files after compiling?)

                    > Second you could try and use a sshd from any ppc debian distribution.
                    > If it's not possible to install using aptget you could get the .deb
                    > file and convert it to a tgz file using the utility "alien".

                    Tried already to use the woody sshd (fails because some lib is
                    missing). Right, I converted it (like the 3.4p1 version) because
                    apt-get seems to be missing on the orig. LS.
                  • haberschnasel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 14, 2005
                      Dear Andre, dear all,

                      I tried to install a DynDNS update client that reads my IP from the
                      router and transmits it to a DynDNS server if it has changed. Together
                      with the now working dropbear this would let me access my home LS
                      files from work.

                      But somehow these perl scripts do not run (Version requirements should
                      be fine: we have 5.6.1 installed and >5.0.5 is required for ddclient,
                      e.g.). addns says:
                      Can't locate IO/Socket.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
                      /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1
                      /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl /usr/lib/perl5
                      /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/bin/addns.pl line 9.

                      The "offending" command is "use IO::Socket;". It seems as the use
                      command never works. Because ddclient behaves the like:

                      ddclient says:
                      Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
                      /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1
                      /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl /usr/lib/perl5
                      /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 13.
                      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 13.

                      What is wrong here?

                      Best,
                      h.
                    • lb_worm
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 14, 2005
                        <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:
                        > Dear Andre, dear all,
                        >
                        > I tried to install a DynDNS update client that reads my IP from the
                        > router and transmits it to a DynDNS server if it has changed.
                        Together
                        > with the now working dropbear this would let me access my home LS
                        > files from work.
                        >
                        > But somehow these perl scripts do not run (Version requirements
                        should
                        > be fine: we have 5.6.1 installed and >5.0.5 is required for
                        ddclient,
                        > e.g.). addns says:
                        > Can't locate IO/Socket.pm in @INC (@INC
                        contains: /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1
                        > /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1
                        > /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl /usr/lib/perl5
                        > /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/bin/addns.pl line 9.
                        >
                        > The "offending" command is "use IO::Socket;". It seems as the use
                        > command never works. Because ddclient behaves the like:
                        >
                        > ddclient says:
                        > Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
                        > /usr/lib/perl/5.6.1 /usr/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1
                        > /usr/local/share/perl/5.6.1 /usr/local/share/perl /usr/lib/perl5
                        > /usr/share/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 13.
                        > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/sbin/ddclient line 13.
                        >
                        > What is wrong here?
                        >
                        > Best,
                        > h.

                        You either need to upgrade to 5.8.3 (these packages have lots of
                        modules added, GetOpt and IO are just some) otherwise visit the CPAN
                        site and download and install each of the missing packages. You may
                        also need to install cc as some of these are written in c and others
                        in c++. Good luck.