FTP Server

  • MrChagle
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2005
      Hi there,

      I have a Buffalo LinkStation which has a FTP server. I have set this up with
      no problem (easy stuff) and can ftp is it locally 192.168.1.21

      I have now gone into my DrayTek 2600G

      NAT SETUP > Configure Port Redirection Table >

      Configured TCP / Port 20 & 21 tp Private IP 192.168.1.21 (which is the
      Buffalo's IP)

      But whenever I go to "FTP <my WAN IP> I can't get on the box - Just comes
      with connect: unknown error number.. Clearly not setup correctly.

      Do I have to open ports also with NAT setup?

      I have tried this Local Computer 192.168.1.21

      Then TCP Start port 20 end port 21.. still no go.

      I have also been to grc.com - shields up and expected to see port 20/21 open
      - but they are stealthed.

      As I say I can FTP locally ftp 192.168.1.21 and works brilliantly.. but not
      via the web?

      Anyone?
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 6 , May 15, 2005
        Are you sure that Port 20 & 21 is really reachable from the free
        internet?

        As example:
        My Provider blocks requests from outside that come from any port
        except 22 and 81. These 2 Ports are the only 2 ports which gets passed
        through to my modem.....

        Regards
        Markus

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, MrChagle <mrchagle@g...>
        wrote:
        > Hi there,
        >

        > I have a Buffalo LinkStation which has a FTP server. I have set this
        up with
        > no problem (easy stuff) and can ftp is it locally 192.168.1.21
        >

        > I have now gone into my DrayTek 2600G
        >

        > NAT SETUP > Configure Port Redirection Table >
        >

        > Configured TCP / Port 20 & 21 tp Private IP 192.168.1.21 (which is the
        > Buffalo's IP)
        >

        > But whenever I go to "FTP <my WAN IP> I can't get on the box - Just
        comes
        > with connect: unknown error number.. Clearly not setup correctly.
        >

        > Do I have to open ports also with NAT setup?
        >

        > I have tried this Local Computer 192.168.1.21
        >
        > Then TCP Start port 20 end port 21.. still no go.
        >

        > I have also been to grc.com - shields up and expected to see port
        20/21 open
        > - but they are stealthed.
        >

        > As I say I can FTP locally ftp 192.168.1.21 and works brilliantly..
        but not
        > via the web?
        >

        > Anyone?
      • Thoralf Freitag
        Message 3 of 6 , May 15, 2005
          cherrytreeproduction schrieb:

          > Are you sure that Port 20 & 21 is really reachable from the free
          > internet?
          >
          > As example:
          > My Provider blocks requests from outside that come from any port
          > except 22 and 81. These 2 Ports are the only 2 ports which gets passed
          > through to my modem.....

          Check your WAN IP with a portscanner like nessus.

          > Regards
          > Markus
          >

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, MrChagle <mrchagle@g...>
          > wrote:
          > > Hi there,
          > >

          > > I have a Buffalo LinkStation which has a FTP server. I have set this
          > up with
          > > no problem (easy stuff) and can ftp is it locally 192.168.1.21
          > >

          > > I have now gone into my DrayTek 2600G
          > >

          > > NAT SETUP > Configure Port Redirection Table >
          > >

          > > Configured TCP / Port 20 & 21 tp Private IP 192.168.1.21 (which is the
          > > Buffalo's IP)
          > >

          > > But whenever I go to "FTP <my WAN IP> I can't get on the box - Just
          > comes
          > > with connect: unknown error number.. Clearly not setup correctly.
          > >

          > > Do I have to open ports also with NAT setup?
          > >

          > > I have tried this Local Computer 192.168.1.21
          > >
          > > Then TCP Start port 20 end port 21.. still no go.
          > >

          > > I have also been to grc.com - shields up and expected to see port
          > 20/21 open
          > > - but they are stealthed.
          > >

          > > As I say I can FTP locally ftp 192.168.1.21 and works brilliantly..
          > but not
          > > via the web?

          Do you mean via internet or via www-browser ? Are you shure, what your
          alternativ internet-connection is not behind a NAT device ? Try passiv
          ftp like a www-browser, maybe your gateway does not support open a
          connection from inside ... .
        • MrChagle
          Message 4 of 6 , May 15, 2005
            Should be yes - I have seem many people within the ISP forums setting up FTP servers.. not with a Buffalo but on a PC.

            I'm stumped...

            Glen

            Message 5 of 6 , May 15, 2005
              wrote:

              > I have now gone into my DrayTek 2600G

              I don't know anything about this router, but does it also have a
              firewall/port-blocking section where you might be blocking these ports?
            • MrChagle
              Message 6 of 6 , May 15, 2005
                Hi there

                Just sorted it now. A config problem... within the router.

                At last I can FTP directly into the Buffalo from anywhere. Works a treat... Great device.

                I also have a Ximeta NetDisk - Terrible! I've used it with an ethernet connection & USB - Keeps dropping connection. This is the 2nd one I've had.. sent the first back to Ximeta - They sent me this one... and same thing.

                Glen