Re: Torrent client on the LS?

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 26 , May 8, 2005
      As far as i have seen it is only possible to check if an installation
      works if it doesnt interfere with any running services from the
      original LinkstationOS, am i right?

      i just played around and installed the same stuff that you installed
      in your tutorial but i think i made a mistake, because everytime i
      install something with

      > apt-get install

      i get a message that some errors occured (webmin and exim).
      additionaly there is sometimes the message that /proc isnt mounted....

      i recognized to late that i forgot to copy /proc from the original
      installation to my chroot environment....do i have to begin again???

      i mean....i will restart the installation anyway....but for the
      future: are there ways to fix this errors?

      Regards
      Markus

      Message 2 of 26 , May 8, 2005
        <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

        > As far as i have seen it is only possible to check if an
        > installation works if it doesnt interfere with any running services
        > from the original LinkstationOS, am i right?

        I'm not sure I understand, but for example, you can not run Apache on
        Debian on tcp port 80 if you have the Linkstation's web based
        interface (which uses port 80) running at the same time. The same
        goes for proftp and samba. You can run sshd or vnc because theyt
        aren't running on the original LS OS.

        > i just played around and installed the same stuff that you installed
        > in your tutorial but i think i made a mistake, because everytime i
        > install something with
        >
        > > apt-get install
        >
        > i get a message that some errors occured (webmin and exim).
        > additionaly there is sometimes the message that /proc isnt
        > mounted....

        Yes. You need to mount /proc within the Debian file system:

        mount -t proc proc /proc

        after you "chroot" in, otherwise various programs will freak out.

        to "repair" anything that didn't install correctly do:

        apt-get -f install

        and it will try to fix what ever went wrong.

        > i recognized to late that i forgot to copy /proc from the original
        > installation to my chroot environment....do i have to begin again???

        No, you can't copy proc because it is a "virtual filesystem". It is a
        communications link between the Linux kernel and "userland" programs.
        The files within don't actually exist on the hard drive, they are
        dynamically generated by the running kernel. Instead "mount" a second
        copy of /proc as I described above.

        > i mean....i will restart the installation anyway....but for the
        > future: are there ways to fix this errors?

        Don't restart, you are doing fine. Keep moving forward.
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 26 , May 9, 2005
          until now i have 2 questions:

          1) is there any uninstall mechanism in debian?
          how do i uninstall packages?

          2) how is it possible to compile packages from sources?
          i found a package for azureus(torrent-client) in the unstable tree but
          for the web interface plugin only sources exist.
          http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui

          i dont know if i can use these for the linkstation but using a
          bittorrent client over a webinterface would be exactly what i want to
          use the linkstation for....

          perhaps i dont need to compile anything...i think because it is
          written in java i only need to get java running and then install it
          somehow

          http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui&docu=1#1

          what do you think?

          regards
          markus

          Message 4 of 26 , May 9, 2005
            <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

            > 1) is there any uninstall mechanism in debian?
            > how do i uninstall packages?

            Sure. "apt-get remove <package name>" is one way, but if you don't
            know the exact name of the package you can use aptitude to pick it
            out of the "Installed" package list and do a "-" to mark it for
            removal.

            > 2) how is it possible to compile packages from sources?

            You might have to install "gcc" and perhaps a few other things, but
            then just download it source and follow the instructions within
            (which is probably something like doing a "./configure" followed by
            a "make").

            The "right" way to do this is to then make a debian package out of
            it before you install the compiled version, but I don't know how to
            do that. Not doing that probably won't cause any problems for small
            things like the web interface you describe below.

            > i found a package for azureus(torrent-client) in the unstable tree
            > but for the web interface plugin only sources exist.
            > http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui
            >
            > i dont know if i can use these for the linkstation but using a
            > bittorrent client over a webinterface would be exactly what i want
            > to use the linkstation for....

            That looks interesting. Note that there are other bittorrent
            clients you can use if you have too much trouble getting this one to
            work

            > perhaps i dont need to compile anything...i think because it is
            > written in java i only need to get java running and then install
            > it somehow

            Oh, it's Java source? In that case I think all you have to do is
            install the Java Virtual Machine on the PC that you will be
            accessing the LS with. (Java apps get "pushed" onto the client
            machines and run there)

            http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui&docu=1#1

            Note I'm saying all this WITHOUT reading the documentation above.
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 26 , May 9, 2005
              <wartstew@y...> wrote:
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
              > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
              >
              > > 1) is there any uninstall mechanism in debian?
              > > how do i uninstall packages?
              >
              > Sure. "apt-get remove <package name>" is one way, but if you don't
              > know the exact name of the package you can use aptitude to pick it
              > out of the "Installed" package list and do a "-" to mark it for
              > removal.

              thx 4 info.

              > > perhaps i dont need to compile anything...i think because it is
              > > written in java i only need to get java running and then install
              > > it somehow
              >
              > Oh, it's Java source? In that case I think all you have to do is
              > install the Java Virtual Machine on the PC that you will be
              > accessing the LS with. (Java apps get "pushed" onto the client
              > machines and run there)

              the whole azureus-torrent-client is java-based. the webinterface is a
              plugin for it. so i have to install it on the linkstation. i need java
              even for azureus...but as i said a package for the client
              exists...because its written in java i dont think that i need to
              compile....thats why there is a virtual machine i think...
              Message 6 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                > the whole azureus-torrent-client is java-based. the webinterface is a
                > plugin for it. so i have to install it on the linkstation. i need java
                > even for azureus...but as i said a package for the client
                > exists...because its written in java i dont think that i need to
                > compile....thats why there is a virtual machine i think...

                Should be true. Java a an "interpreted" language, not a "compiled"
                one. This is why you need the JVM running to execute the "source"
                file directly. It is also why Java is so slow.
              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                  i think i have found a problem....a new java version is needed for
                  using azureus..and as you said java IS slow (i know this, because i
                  programmed enough in java for courses at the University in
                  Vienna)....thats why i will search for a better client that is easier
                  to install....

                  Anybody has any recommendations?

                  Regards
                  Markus

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                    <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                    > ....a new java version is needed for using azureus

                    You might see if you can get one from Sun, but there might be no
                    support for Linux under a PPC.

                    > thats why i will search for a better client that is easier
                    > to install....
                    >
                    > Anybody has any recommendations?

                    Although I've been using bittornado on my LS, I think it requires a
                    graphical interface (which I have -- vnc). Once I used the original
                    bittorrent client that had a little python / ncurses based client
                    that ran well in a text shell. To use it, you will probably need to
                    install something like "screen" so you can detach your telnet/ssh
                    session from your computer and have it still run, then be able to
                    attach to it later to get status. It would be nice if someone wrote
                    a "webmin" front-end module for this!