Re: Torrent client on the LS?

  • bmwbiker0569
    Message 1 of 26 , May 6, 2005
      Hello James Steward,

      can you tell me the pro's & cons's about running Debian in a
      "chroot"-Environment, and how to do this ?
      I'm running Debian on a Linkstation@Kurobox with Samba. Some other
      Stuff will be "apt-get" in the future like Apache and some Backup-soft.

      <wartstew@y...> wrote:
      > Just a reminder: all this is trivial once you've converted over to a
      > full sized Linux. It will all download, install, and setup with a
      > simple "apt-get"(Debian) or "emerge"(Gentoo) command.
      >
      > I'm running the eDonkey client "aMule", the bittorrent "bittorrnado",
      > python, and lots of other stuff (like a full graphical window
      > environment!) on my Debianized LS. It is a wonderful machine for me
      > right now. If you don't believe me, you can test drive it yourself in
      > a "chroot" environment over on /dev/hda3 just like I did until I
      > decided that there was no benefit to keeping the original LS OS. If
      > you decide you don't like it, just erase the directory tree.
      >
      > I can do a HowTo page on how to run Debian in a chroot environment if
      > you'd like.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
      > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
      > > I searched for a mldonkey-binary that worked...but a torrent client
      > > would also be a good choice...i am interested, too...
      > >
      > > has anyone done this right now??
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 26 , May 6, 2005
        That would be nice! Please make a tutorial...i am a noob concerning
        linux....but i want to try out a debian installation...a preview
        over "chroot" would be very comfortable ;).....so if you make a
        tutorial i am the first who uses it :)

        regards
        Markus

        <wartstew@y...> wrote:
        > Just a reminder: all this is trivial once you've converted over to a
        > full sized Linux. It will all download, install, and setup with a
        > simple "apt-get"(Debian) or "emerge"(Gentoo) command.
        >
        > I'm running the eDonkey client "aMule", the
        bittorrent "bittorrnado",
        > python, and lots of other stuff (like a full graphical window
        > environment!) on my Debianized LS. It is a wonderful machine for me
        > right now. If you don't believe me, you can test drive it yourself
        in
        > a "chroot" environment over on /dev/hda3 just like I did until I
        > decided that there was no benefit to keeping the original LS OS. If
        > you decide you don't like it, just erase the directory tree.
        >
        > I can do a HowTo page on how to run Debian in a chroot environment
        if
        > you'd like.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
        > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
        > > I searched for a mldonkey-binary that worked...but a torrent
        client
        > > would also be a good choice...i am interested, too...
        > >
        > > has anyone done this right now??
      • pretzel_munster
        Message 3 of 26 , May 6, 2005
          James,

          this would be great, a very comfortable way to check this step out.

          I hope you find the time to do it.

          Thanks in advance,

          pretzel_munster.

          Message 4 of 26 , May 6, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bmwbiker0569"
            <bmwbiker@t...> wrote:
            > Hello James Steward,
            >
            > can you tell me the pro's & cons's about running Debian in a
            > "chroot"-Environment, and how to do this ?

            Basically you put a complete file system for some other Linux system
            somewhere else on your hard drive. For example when I was
            test-driving Debian, I put it in /mnt/debian on my Linkstation,
            which put it in a directory off /dev/hda3 where I had room for it.
            (the typical command would be "tar -zxf <filename.tgz>"
            from /mnt/debian)

            Then you use the chroot command that you can get from the files
            section of this Yahoo group (which I got from the debian distro
            itself) and run this:

            > chroot /mnt/debian

            So now "/mnt/debian" becomes your new root ("/"), so all new
            commands, references to shared libraries, etc will come from
            within /mnt/debian.

            One thing I found useful is to mount a new copy of /proc in this
            debian file system because a lot of programs expect that it should
            be there:

            > mount -t proc proc /proc

            So now your can do most anything as if you are really running
            Debian, such as install new software, run services like vnc, ssh, a
            bittorrent client, and other stuff as long as it doesn't conflict
            with what is *still* running on your LS OS (like telnet, ftp, web
            servers, etc). The bad news is that as soon as you close down your
            telnet session, all this stops. There are ways to deal with this
            but that is best for another discussion.

            Oh yea, to exit from your chroot environment, back to your LS,
            simply do a ctrl-d.

            > I'm running Debian on a Linkstation@Kurobox with Samba. Some other
            > Stuff will be "apt-get" in the future like Apache and some
            > Backup-soft.

            So if you are already running Debian, the only advantage to doing
            this chroot thing is to, once again, try out another Linux. For
            example, if you were hesitant about upgrading to "Sid" you can
            simply copy your existing debian off somewhere:

            > cp -ax / /mnt/debian2

            then chroot into it, upgrade it and see if you like it. You can
            test drive the Gentoo distribution this way too, or finally you can
            do a reverse of above where you boot into "Sid" but then keep a copy
            of "Woody" around so that you can chroot into it and perpare
            software that could be compatible with the original LS OS for all
            your friends you left behind.
            Message 5 of 26 , May 6, 2005
              Please look over the brief version of such a thing I just put in
              another post on this thread and tell me what areas I need to go into
              more detail with to make things more clear.

              Note that you can work with your chrooted Debian and get it working
              the way you want it, then save that whole thing off somewhere and
              then install it as your primary OS when you decide it time to ween
              yourself from the LS OS.

              <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

              > That would be nice! Please make a tutorial...i am a noob
              > concerning linux....but i want to try out a debian
              > installation...a preview over "chroot" would be very
              > comfortable ;).....so if you make a tutorial i am the first who
              > uses it :)
              >

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
              > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > I can do a HowTo page on how to run Debian in a chroot
              > > environment if you'd like.
            • pretzel_munster
              Message 6 of 26 , May 6, 2005
                James,

                this sounds really interesting. I am curios of trying out a Debian
                system. The only thing that makes me fear ist loosing my warranty. I
                read your Debian installation instructions and was wondering if there
                was a way to get around having to get the hard disk out of the LS and
                putting it into a PC. Why can't I just copy all the files I need over
                the network to say, /dev/hda3 and the chroot from the LS standard
                linux (as a first step)? Or did I miss something?
                And then how to avoid that this chrooted linux stops working when I
                close telnet? It would make the attempt of trying to make the LS a
                device that I can leave running as a server or torrent client absurd,
                if I had to leave the PC with the telnet session running...

                Please forgive my missing linux skills. But I'm keen on learning!

                Kind regards, pretzel_munster.

                Message 7 of 26 , May 6, 2005
                  i will try your tutorial tommorow morning....

                  this things are a bit unclear for me right now (because i am a nooby
                  but i am willing to learn):

                  1)
                  >I put it in /mnt/debian on my Linkstation,
                  >which put it in a directory off /dev/hda3 where I had room for it.

                  how do you do this? with which command? sounds like you are creating a
                  folder in /dev/hda3 (which is the third partition on the LS?) and u
                  are mounting it....but which command(s) do u use for it?

                  2)
                  from where do i get the debian system tree? do i have to copy it from
                  a existing debian-installation (which cant be right because an
                  existing installation is compiled for x86, is this right?) or are
                  there any other possibilities?

                  Regards
                  Markus

                  <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                  > Please look over the brief version of such a thing I just put in
                  > another post on this thread and tell me what areas I need to go into
                  > more detail with to make things more clear.
                  >
                  > Note that you can work with your chrooted Debian and get it working
                  > the way you want it, then save that whole thing off somewhere and
                  > then install it as your primary OS when you decide it time to ween
                  > yourself from the LS OS.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                  > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > That would be nice! Please make a tutorial...i am a noob
                  > > concerning linux....but i want to try out a debian
                  > > installation...a preview over "chroot" would be very
                  > > comfortable ;).....so if you make a tutorial i am the first who
                  > > uses it :)
                  > >

                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                  > > <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I can do a HowTo page on how to run Debian in a chroot
                  > > > environment if you'd like.
                • James Ronald
                  Message 8 of 26 , May 6, 2005
                    >> can you tell me the pro's & cons's about running Debian in a
                    >> "chroot"-Environment, and how to do this ?
                    >
                    > Basically you put a complete file system for some other Linux system
                    > somewhere else on your hard drive. For example when I was
                    > test-driving Debian, I put it in /mnt/debian on my Linkstation,
                    > which put it in a directory off /dev/hda3 where I had room for it.
                    > (the typical command would be "tar -zxf <filename.tgz>"
                    > from /mnt/debian)
                    >
                    > Then you use the chroot command that you can get from the files
                    > section of this Yahoo group (which I got from the debian distro
                    > itself) and run this:
                    >
                    >> chroot /mnt/debian
                    >
                    > So now "/mnt/debian" becomes your new root ("/"), so all new
                    > commands, references to shared libraries, etc will come from
                    > within /mnt/debian.
                    >
                    > One thing I found useful is to mount a new copy of /proc in this
                    > debian file system because a lot of programs expect that it should
                    > be there:
                    >
                    >> mount -t proc proc /proc
                    >
                    > So now your can do most anything as if you are really running
                    > Debian, such as install new software, run services like vnc, ssh, a
                    > bittorrent client, and other stuff as long as it doesn't conflict
                    > with what is *still* running on your LS OS (like telnet, ftp, web
                    > servers, etc). The bad news is that as soon as you close down your
                    > telnet session, all this stops. There are ways to deal with this
                    > but that is best for another discussion.
                    >
                    > Oh yea, to exit from your chroot environment, back to your LS,
                    > simply do a ctrl-d.
                    >
                    >> I'm running Debian on a Linkstation@Kurobox with Samba. Some other
                    >> Stuff will be "apt-get" in the future like Apache and some
                    >> Backup-soft.
                    >
                    > So if you are already running Debian, the only advantage to doing
                    > this chroot thing is to, once again, try out another Linux. For
                    > example, if you were hesitant about upgrading to "Sid" you can
                    > simply copy your existing debian off somewhere:
                    >
                    >> cp -ax / /mnt/debian2
                    >
                    > then chroot into it, upgrade it and see if you like it. You can
                    > test drive the Gentoo distribution this way too, or finally you can
                    > do a reverse of above where you boot into "Sid" but then keep a copy
                    > of "Woody" around so that you can chroot into it and perpare
                    > software that could be compatible with the original LS OS for all
                    > your friends you left behind.

                    James,

                    Excellent explanation and example as to how to use chroot. Why don't you
                    just copy those sections to a file and call it a chroot how-to?

                    JR
                    Message 9 of 26 , May 6, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pretzel_munster"
                      <pretzel_munster@y...> wrote:

                      > Why can't I just copy all the files I need over
                      > the network to say, /dev/hda3 and the chroot from the LS standard
                      > linux (as a first step)? Or did I miss something?

                      Nope, you didn't miss anything, that is exactly what I did.

                      There are other ways to install Debian (where it boots into Debian)
                      that probably wouldn't involve opening the LS. I started down this
                      path, but gave up. Maybe someone else can perfect another method of
                      installing Debian on the LS.

                      > And then how to avoid that this chrooted linux stops working when I
                      > close telnet? It would make the attempt of trying to make the LS a
                      > device that I can leave running as a server or torrent client
                      > absurd, if I had to leave the PC with the telnet session running...

                      True, that is why I call the thing a "test drive". Somebody reported
                      using a utility called "screen" to detach a session, there are
                      probably other ways too. I just don't know them.

                      > Please forgive my missing linux skills. But I'm keen on learning!

                      We're all just learning! I just got a little bit of a head start.
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 6, 2005
                        <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                        > >I put it in /mnt/debian on my Linkstation, which put it in a
                        > > directory off /dev/hda3 where I had room for it.
                        >
                        > how do you do this? with which command? sounds like you are creating
                        > a folder in /dev/hda3 (which is the third partition on the LS?) and
                        > u are mounting it....but which command(s) do u use for it?

                        Copy the debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz file using windows file sharing to
                        the /mnt/Shared directory. Then telnet in and do this

                        cd /mnt
                        mkdir debian
                        cp /mnt/Shared/debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz /mnt/debian
                        cd debian
                        tar -zxf debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz

                        I can't remember the exact name of /mnt/Shared (is it really capital
                        "S"?), You could even put the whole thing under your "Shared"
                        directory if you want, it would then be accessable from Windows file
                        sharing.

                        > from where do i get the debian system tree?

                        From http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data/

                        It's about 30 Megs or so.

                        It is a archived "tarball" of a running Debian "Woody" installation
                        from a LS (PPC based). Just download it, unarchive it (that "tar"
                        command above) and you'll have it, ready to chroot into.

                        Be sure to read the docs in the "Debian-on-Linkstation" section in the
                        files section of this Yahoo group. I'm really pushing the idea of
                        upgrading "Woody" to "Sid".
                      • Arias Hung
                        Message 11 of 26 , May 6, 2005
                          Actually I would recommend using the most recent debian tarball
                          available instead of one that's dated from last year. A current one
                          can be found here:

                          http://210.166.208.216/kuro-box/archive/

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 7, 2005
                            oh..i am sorry...my questions were answered reading your debian
                            installation instructions.....so i will try out making a chroot
                            environment....in a about 20 minutes...now i have to eat something...i
                            drank too much yesterday ;)

                            regards
                            Markus

                            <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                            > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > >I put it in /mnt/debian on my Linkstation, which put it in a
                            > > > directory off /dev/hda3 where I had room for it.
                            > >
                            > > how do you do this? with which command? sounds like you are creating
                            > > a folder in /dev/hda3 (which is the third partition on the LS?) and
                            > > u are mounting it....but which command(s) do u use for it?
                            >
                            > Copy the debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz file using windows file sharing to
                            > the /mnt/Shared directory. Then telnet in and do this
                            >
                            > cd /mnt
                            > mkdir debian
                            > cp /mnt/Shared/debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz /mnt/debian
                            > cd debian
                            > tar -zxf debian_2004_12_26_dist.tgz
                            >
                            > I can't remember the exact name of /mnt/Shared (is it really capital
                            > "S"?), You could even put the whole thing under your "Shared"
                            > directory if you want, it would then be accessable from Windows file
                            > sharing.
                            >
                            > > from where do i get the debian system tree?
                            >
                            > From http://kuro.kaguya.biz/data/
                            >
                            > It's about 30 Megs or so.
                            >
                            > It is a archived "tarball" of a running Debian "Woody" installation
                            > from a LS (PPC based). Just download it, unarchive it (that "tar"
                            > command above) and you'll have it, ready to chroot into.
                            >
                            > Be sure to read the docs in the "Debian-on-Linkstation" section in the
                            > files section of this Yahoo group. I'm really pushing the idea of
                            > upgrading "Woody" to "Sid".
                          • cherrytreeproduction
                            Message 13 of 26 , May 7, 2005
                              steps i have done already:

                              i have downloaded the new tarball of debian from
                              http://210.166.208.216/kuro-box/archive/

                              then i have copied it to /mnt/debian und untared it with

                              >root@LINKSTATION:/mnt/debian# tar -zxf debian_2005_04_09_dist.tgz.gz

                              i had one problem. i thought "where do i put the untared chroot-file?"
                              but the only problem was, that i didnt know how to execute in linux
                              correctly...i tried

                              >chroot /mnt/debian

                              but i then i got

                              >bash: chroot: command not found

                              then i put the chroot-file in /mnt/debian and used it this way:

                              > /mnt/debian/chroot /mnt/debian

                              and it worked. so for linux novices it is unclear how to execute a
                              file...so plz include where to put the chroot file and how to execute
                              it.....then everything works...

                              i will install some software now :)

                              i hope to get samba, ntp, ftp, bittorrent running today....

                              regards
                              markus

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 7, 2005
                                <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
                                > steps i have done already:
                                >
                                > i have downloaded the new tarball of debian from
                                > http://210.166.208.216/kuro-box/archive/

                                Oh good. I was wondering where people were getting what probably is a
                                newer version from. I guess we need to put the link in the "Links"
                                section of the group.

                                > i thought "where do i put the untared chroot-file?"

                                Where ever you want, but it might make the "tar" command more
                                complicated, for example: tar -zxf ../Shared/download/debian.tgz

                                > but the only problem was, that i didnt know how to execute in linux
                                > correctly...i tried
                                >
                                > >chroot /mnt/debian
                                >
                                > but i then i got
                                >
                                > >bash: chroot: command not found
                                >
                                > then i put the chroot-file in /mnt/debian and used it this way:
                                >
                                > > /mnt/debian/chroot /mnt/debian

                                Actually I think the chroot command is in the debian distro. In your
                                example it would be /mnt/debian/usr/sbin/chroot. Alternatively what I
                                did was copy the chroot command to the same place on the LS OS,
                                (/usr/sbin) then chroot just works without the full pathname.

                                > and it worked. so for linux novices it is unclear how to execute a
                                > file...so plz include where to put the chroot file and how to
                                > execute it.....then everything works...

                                Great. The program "aptitude" is a useful package browser. If you
                                can't find what you are looking for AND you haven't upgraded to
                                "testing" or "unstable", then that is why. "stable" is a rather small
                                (and old) collection of software. Read the "Upgrading" doc in the
                                "Debian on Linkstation" section.

                                Looks like you are doing good, keep going, I'm sure you will
                                eventually find that it is well worth it.
                              • wedgemusic
                                Message 15 of 26 , May 7, 2005
                                  Does it matter what version of the Debian Woody distro we're using
                                  since most (I would hope all) of us are upgrading to Debian Sid anyway?

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 8, 2005
                                    As far as i have seen it is only possible to check if an installation
                                    works if it doesnt interfere with any running services from the
                                    original LinkstationOS, am i right?

                                    i just played around and installed the same stuff that you installed
                                    in your tutorial but i think i made a mistake, because everytime i
                                    install something with

                                    > apt-get install

                                    i get a message that some errors occured (webmin and exim).
                                    additionaly there is sometimes the message that /proc isnt mounted....

                                    i recognized to late that i forgot to copy /proc from the original
                                    installation to my chroot environment....do i have to begin again???

                                    i mean....i will restart the installation anyway....but for the
                                    future: are there ways to fix this errors?

                                    Regards
                                    Markus

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 8, 2005
                                      <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                                      > As far as i have seen it is only possible to check if an
                                      > installation works if it doesnt interfere with any running services
                                      > from the original LinkstationOS, am i right?

                                      I'm not sure I understand, but for example, you can not run Apache on
                                      Debian on tcp port 80 if you have the Linkstation's web based
                                      interface (which uses port 80) running at the same time. The same
                                      goes for proftp and samba. You can run sshd or vnc because theyt
                                      aren't running on the original LS OS.

                                      > i just played around and installed the same stuff that you installed
                                      > in your tutorial but i think i made a mistake, because everytime i
                                      > install something with
                                      >
                                      > > apt-get install
                                      >
                                      > i get a message that some errors occured (webmin and exim).
                                      > additionaly there is sometimes the message that /proc isnt
                                      > mounted....

                                      Yes. You need to mount /proc within the Debian file system:

                                      mount -t proc proc /proc

                                      after you "chroot" in, otherwise various programs will freak out.

                                      to "repair" anything that didn't install correctly do:

                                      apt-get -f install

                                      and it will try to fix what ever went wrong.

                                      > i recognized to late that i forgot to copy /proc from the original
                                      > installation to my chroot environment....do i have to begin again???

                                      No, you can't copy proc because it is a "virtual filesystem". It is a
                                      communications link between the Linux kernel and "userland" programs.
                                      The files within don't actually exist on the hard drive, they are
                                      dynamically generated by the running kernel. Instead "mount" a second
                                      copy of /proc as I described above.

                                      > i mean....i will restart the installation anyway....but for the
                                      > future: are there ways to fix this errors?

                                      Don't restart, you are doing fine. Keep moving forward.
                                    • cherrytreeproduction
                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                                        until now i have 2 questions:

                                        1) is there any uninstall mechanism in debian?
                                        how do i uninstall packages?

                                        2) how is it possible to compile packages from sources?
                                        i found a package for azureus(torrent-client) in the unstable tree but
                                        for the web interface plugin only sources exist.
                                        http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui

                                        i dont know if i can use these for the linkstation but using a
                                        bittorrent client over a webinterface would be exactly what i want to
                                        use the linkstation for....

                                        perhaps i dont need to compile anything...i think because it is
                                        written in java i only need to get java running and then install it
                                        somehow

                                        http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui&docu=1#1

                                        what do you think?

                                        regards
                                        markus

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                                          <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                                          > 1) is there any uninstall mechanism in debian?
                                          > how do i uninstall packages?

                                          Sure. "apt-get remove <package name>" is one way, but if you don't
                                          know the exact name of the package you can use aptitude to pick it
                                          out of the "Installed" package list and do a "-" to mark it for
                                          removal.

                                          > 2) how is it possible to compile packages from sources?

                                          You might have to install "gcc" and perhaps a few other things, but
                                          then just download it source and follow the instructions within
                                          (which is probably something like doing a "./configure" followed by
                                          a "make").

                                          The "right" way to do this is to then make a debian package out of
                                          it before you install the compiled version, but I don't know how to
                                          do that. Not doing that probably won't cause any problems for small
                                          things like the web interface you describe below.

                                          > i found a package for azureus(torrent-client) in the unstable tree
                                          > but for the web interface plugin only sources exist.
                                          > http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui
                                          >
                                          > i dont know if i can use these for the linkstation but using a
                                          > bittorrent client over a webinterface would be exactly what i want
                                          > to use the linkstation for....

                                          That looks interesting. Note that there are other bittorrent
                                          clients you can use if you have too much trouble getting this one to
                                          work

                                          > perhaps i dont need to compile anything...i think because it is
                                          > written in java i only need to get java running and then install
                                          > it somehow

                                          Oh, it's Java source? In that case I think all you have to do is
                                          install the Java Virtual Machine on the PC that you will be
                                          accessing the LS with. (Java apps get "pushed" onto the client
                                          machines and run there)

                                          http://azureus.sourceforge.net/plugin_details.php?plugin=webui&docu=1#1

                                          Note I'm saying all this WITHOUT reading the documentation above.
                                        • cherrytreeproduction
                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                                            <wartstew@y...> wrote:
                                            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                                            > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > 1) is there any uninstall mechanism in debian?
                                            > > how do i uninstall packages?
                                            >
                                            > Sure. "apt-get remove <package name>" is one way, but if you don't
                                            > know the exact name of the package you can use aptitude to pick it
                                            > out of the "Installed" package list and do a "-" to mark it for
                                            > removal.

                                            thx 4 info.

                                            > > perhaps i dont need to compile anything...i think because it is
                                            > > written in java i only need to get java running and then install
                                            > > it somehow
                                            >
                                            > Oh, it's Java source? In that case I think all you have to do is
                                            > install the Java Virtual Machine on the PC that you will be
                                            > accessing the LS with. (Java apps get "pushed" onto the client
                                            > machines and run there)

                                            the whole azureus-torrent-client is java-based. the webinterface is a
                                            plugin for it. so i have to install it on the linkstation. i need java
                                            even for azureus...but as i said a package for the client
                                            exists...because its written in java i dont think that i need to
                                            compile....thats why there is a virtual machine i think...
                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 9, 2005
                                              <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                                              > the whole azureus-torrent-client is java-based. the webinterface is a
                                              > plugin for it. so i have to install it on the linkstation. i need java
                                              > even for azureus...but as i said a package for the client
                                              > exists...because its written in java i dont think that i need to
                                              > compile....thats why there is a virtual machine i think...

                                              Should be true. Java a an "interpreted" language, not a "compiled"
                                              one. This is why you need the JVM running to execute the "source"
                                              file directly. It is also why Java is so slow.
                                            • cherrytreeproduction
                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                                i think i have found a problem....a new java version is needed for
                                                using azureus..and as you said java IS slow (i know this, because i
                                                programmed enough in java for courses at the University in
                                                Vienna)....thats why i will search for a better client that is easier
                                                to install....

                                                Anybody has any recommendations?

                                                Regards
                                                Markus

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 10, 2005
                                                  <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                                                  > ....a new java version is needed for using azureus

                                                  You might see if you can get one from Sun, but there might be no
                                                  support for Linux under a PPC.

                                                  > thats why i will search for a better client that is easier
                                                  > to install....
                                                  >
                                                  > Anybody has any recommendations?

                                                  Although I've been using bittornado on my LS, I think it requires a
                                                  graphical interface (which I have -- vnc). Once I used the original
                                                  bittorrent client that had a little python / ncurses based client
                                                  that ran well in a text shell. To use it, you will probably need to
                                                  install something like "screen" so you can detach your telnet/ssh
                                                  session from your computer and have it still run, then be able to
                                                  attach to it later to get status. It would be nice if someone wrote
                                                  a "webmin" front-end module for this!