Will a given binary run (Perforce)?

  • mphoust2
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 23 12:30 PM
      All,

      I am interested in running a source code control system called
      perforce on the LinkStation. It looks like a promising fit. The
      progam supports Linux PPC 2.4.18. The vendor says it was built with:
      o Mandrake 8.2
      o gcc 2.95.3
      o glibc 2.2.4

      Any idea on if this will have a snowball's shot at running in the
      LinkStation? I hate to buy the box and find out there is some
      mysterious reason it won't run.

      Is there anyone willing to download the executable and run a smoke
      test? It is available from the vendor's site as a simple file (the
      p4d server). I really just need to see if the program loads.

      http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/linux24ppc.html

      Or should I just pony up the $250 and give it a shot myself? (I want
      this to replace a 6 yr-old laptop running Red Hat). I don't mind
      spending the time to figure things out, but I would hate to get stuck
      in a situation that requires access to the source code to fix it. Not
      likely with a commercial package :(.
    • Derek Taubert
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23 1:36 PM
        On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:30:39PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > I am interested in running a source code control system called
        > perforce on the LinkStation. It looks like a promising fit. The
        > progam supports Linux PPC 2.4.18. The vendor says it was built with:
        > o Mandrake 8.2
        > o gcc 2.95.3
        > o glibc 2.2.4
        >
        > Any idea on if this will have a snowball's shot at running in the
        > LinkStation? I hate to buy the box and find out there is some
        > mysterious reason it won't run.

        It may very well work. glibc is 2.2.3 on the LinkStation.

        > Is there anyone willing to download the executable and run a smoke
        > test? It is available from the vendor's site as a simple file (the
        > p4d server). I really just need to see if the program loads.
        >
        > http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/linux24ppc.html

        You want to run the server on the LinkStation, yes?

        > Or should I just pony up the $250 and give it a shot myself? (I want
        > this to replace a 6 yr-old laptop running Red Hat). I don't mind
        > spending the time to figure things out, but I would hate to get stuck
        > in a situation that requires access to the source code to fix it. Not
        > likely with a commercial package :(.

        I should have a cross and native compiler that will work with the
        LinkStation RSN...

        Derek

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • mphoust2
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 23 2:02 PM
          Excellent news! I may just give it a try. If I buy it from newegg,
          I suspect I can return it if the experiment is a complete failure (and
          I don't turn it into a brik :).

          The binary I wanted to run is the server (p4d). It takes a command
          line argument to specify the root dir: 'p4d -r /tmp' or something like
          that. It might create some db.* files in that directory.

          The cross-compiler will be great, but I won't have access to the source...

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
          <taubert@g...> wrote:
          > On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:30:39PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
          > > All,
          > >
          > > I am interested in running a source code control system called
          > > perforce on the LinkStation. It looks like a promising fit. The
          > > progam supports Linux PPC 2.4.18. The vendor says it was built with:
          > > o Mandrake 8.2
          > > o gcc 2.95.3
          > > o glibc 2.2.4
          > >
          > > Any idea on if this will have a snowball's shot at running in the
          > > LinkStation? I hate to buy the box and find out there is some
          > > mysterious reason it won't run.
          >
          > It may very well work. glibc is 2.2.3 on the LinkStation.
          >

          > > Is there anyone willing to download the executable and run a smoke
          > > test? It is available from the vendor's site as a simple file (the
          > > p4d server). I really just need to see if the program loads.
          > >
          > > http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/linux24ppc.html
          >
          > You want to run the server on the LinkStation, yes?
          >

          > > Or should I just pony up the $250 and give it a shot myself? (I want
          > > this to replace a 6 yr-old laptop running Red Hat). I don't mind
          > > spending the time to figure things out, but I would hate to get stuck
          > > in a situation that requires access to the source code to fix it. Not
          > > likely with a commercial package :(.
          >
          > I should have a cross and native compiler that will work with the
          > LinkStation RSN...
          >
          > Derek
          >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Derek Taubert
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23 6:56 PM
            That binary passed the laugh test:

            # uname -a
            Linux HD-HLANA09 2.4.17_mvl21-sandpoint #990 2004ǯ 5�� 21�� ������ 13:39:00 JST ppc unknown
            #./p4d -h
            Usage:

            p4d [ options ]
            p4d -j? [ -z ] [ args ... ]

            The first form starts the Perforce server.
            The second form performs checkpoint/journaling operations.

            Server options:
            -d run as a daemon (fork first, then run)
            -f run as single-threaded server
            -i run for inetd (socket on stdin/stdout)
            -q suppress startup messages
            -s run as an NT service (or invoke as p4s)
            -xi switch server database to Unicode mode and quit
            -xu run database upgrades and quit

            Checkpointing options:
            -c cmd lock tables, run command, and exit
            -jc [ prefix ] checkpoint, then save and truncate journal
            -jd [ file ] checkpoint without saving/truncating journal
            -jj [ prefix ] save and truncate journal
            -jr file restore incrementally from file
            -z gzip checkpoint/journals

            General Options:
            -h -? print this message
            -V print server version

            -J journal set journal file (default $P4JOURNAL, 'journal')
            -J off turn off journalling
            -L log set error log (default $P4LOG, stderr)
            -p port set listen port (default $P4PORT, 1666)
            -r root set server root directory (default $P4ROOT)
            -v level debug modes (default $P4DEBUG)

            # ./p4d -V
            Perforce - The Fast Software Configuration Management System.
            Copyright 1995, 2002 Perforce Software. All rights reserved.
            Rev. P4D/LINUX24PPC/2003.1/46608 (2003/08/12).
            License: none

            Derek

            On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 09:02:29PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
            > Excellent news! I may just give it a try. If I buy it from newegg,
            > I suspect I can return it if the experiment is a complete failure (and
            > I don't turn it into a brik :).
            >
            > The binary I wanted to run is the server (p4d). It takes a command
            > line argument to specify the root dir: 'p4d -r /tmp' or something like
            > that. It might create some db.* files in that directory.
            >
            > The cross-compiler will be great, but I won't have access to the source...
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Derek Taubert
            > <taubert@g...> wrote:
            > > On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 07:30:39PM -0000, mphoust2 wrote:
            > > > All,
            > > >
            > > > I am interested in running a source code control system called
            > > > perforce on the LinkStation. It looks like a promising fit. The
            > > > progam supports Linux PPC 2.4.18. The vendor says it was built with:
            > > > o Mandrake 8.2
            > > > o gcc 2.95.3
            > > > o glibc 2.2.4
            > > >
            > > > Any idea on if this will have a snowball's shot at running in the
            > > > LinkStation? I hate to buy the box and find out there is some
            > > > mysterious reason it won't run.
            > >
            > > It may very well work. glibc is 2.2.3 on the LinkStation.
            > >

            > > > Is there anyone willing to download the executable and run a smoke
            > > > test? It is available from the vendor's site as a simple file (the
            > > > p4d server). I really just need to see if the program loads.
            > > >
            > > > http://www.perforce.com/perforce/downloads/linux24ppc.html
            > >
            > > You want to run the server on the LinkStation, yes?
            > >

            > > > Or should I just pony up the $250 and give it a shot myself? (I want
            > > > this to replace a 6 yr-old laptop running Red Hat). I don't mind
            > > > spending the time to figure things out, but I would hate to get stuck
            > > > in a situation that requires access to the source code to fix it. Not
            > > > likely with a commercial package :(.
            > >
            > > I should have a cross and native compiler that will work with the
            > > LinkStation RSN...
            > >
            > > Derek
            > >

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
            > > >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • mphoust2
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 24 4:57 AM
              Great news. Looks like I get to order one while the rebate offer still
              holds. I will post with my results.

              Thanks a lot Derek!

              BTW, I use perforce for source control because it has a free 2 user
              license and is much easier to setup/use than the other free alternatives.

              I don't want a noisy 300 watt space heater (aka PC) running in my
              study 24/7 :). The LinkStation looks like a good replacement.