RE: [LinkStation_General] Re: TeraStation ? Has anybody a TeraStation

  • Paul Milligan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2005

      As far as I know the TeraStation is a big Linkstation with a 266Mhz Processor, 512Mb Ram, 1GB Ethernet and 4 USB ports. The kernel boot message reports the kernel name as linkstation, so once you hack it, it should do everything the linkstation does but with added pzazz. However all my knowledge is based on reading Japanese hacker websites with a better translator than Bablefish (it still translates “serial port” as “cereal port”, maybe in Japan they give them away as prizes in cornflakes packets!)

      I’m currently struggling with my conscience to justify buying one for home use!

        > As far as I know the TeraStation is a big Linkstation with a 266Mhz
        > Processor, 512Mb Ram, 1GB Ethernet and 4 USB ports.

        It's only 128MB of RAM. The reviews out there which say 512MB are
        wrong. No clue where they got 512MB from as from visual inspection of
        the board you'll see 4x 32MB and it shows only 128MB from within Linux
        as well.

        > The kernel boot message
        > reports the kernel name as linkstation, so once you hack it, it
        should do
        > everything the linkstation does but with added pzazz. However all my
        > knowledge is based on reading Japanese hacker websites with a better
        > translator than Bablefish (it still translates "serial port" as "cereal
        > port", maybe in Japan they give them away as prizes in cornflakes
        packets!)

        Yeah. Hardwarewise it's very similar to the KuroBox HG except that
        it's got an extra IDE controller and some extra LEDs. Most stuff
        compiled for a KuroBox/LinkStation should run without any problems.
        Before I compiled a newer version myself, I used the OpenSSH tarball
        for the KuroBox.
      • Trevor
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Richards"
          <roger_richards@h...> wrote:
          > Does the TeraStation support NFS?

          Nope. Not by default. The standard firmware for it only supports
          Samba, AppleTalk and FTP.