Re: slow upload

  • Dave Kristol
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 5:02 PM
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, luderitz stephan
      <sluderitz@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Adam,
      >
      > I just rechecked the speed of my Linkstation. Writing to it from
      Windows I got: 5,6 MByte/sec, reading from it I got about 7 MByte/sec.
      I think other people on this mailing list have pretty much confirmed
      this as well, so this is all you gonna get out of your Linkstation.
      Maybe you could connect the Linkstation to your PC directly to check
      if the speed gets any better then, at least this way you would find
      out if the problem lies with the router.
      > You should also consider a different backup scheme, because even if
      you get up to 5,6 MByte/sec backing up 50 GByte would still take
      hours. Consider using rsync to do incremental backups or even better
      the great hard linking method (also using rsync) which will give you
      snap shots of prior days or weeks. Here you find a good article about
      that:
      > http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

      I use 10b/s ~ 1B/s as an approximation. With that, I would say 7MB/s
      is about 70Mb/s, which isn't all that far from the 100Mb/s Ethernet
      speed. Seems to me you're not likely to exceed 10MB/s under the best
      of circumstances.

      Dave Kristol
    • djlogic20
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 6:08 PM
        How is it that PC World reported speeds many times faster than this in
        their reviews?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
        <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, luderitz stephan
        > <sluderitz@y...> wrote:
        > > Hi Adam,
        > >
        > > I just rechecked the speed of my Linkstation. Writing to it from
        > Windows I got: 5,6 MByte/sec, reading from it I got about 7 MByte/sec.
        > I think other people on this mailing list have pretty much confirmed
        > this as well, so this is all you gonna get out of your Linkstation.
        > Maybe you could connect the Linkstation to your PC directly to check
        > if the speed gets any better then, at least this way you would find
        > out if the problem lies with the router.
        > > You should also consider a different backup scheme, because even if
        > you get up to 5,6 MByte/sec backing up 50 GByte would still take
        > hours. Consider using rsync to do incremental backups or even better
        > the great hard linking method (also using rsync) which will give you
        > snap shots of prior days or weeks. Here you find a good article about
        > that:
        > > http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
        >
        > I use 10b/s ~ 1B/s as an approximation. With that, I would say 7MB/s
        > is about 70Mb/s, which isn't all that far from the 100Mb/s Ethernet
        > speed. Seems to me you're not likely to exceed 10MB/s under the best
        > of circumstances.
        >
        > Dave Kristol
      • Dave Kristol
        Message 3 of 6 , May 3 6:04 AM
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "djlogic20"
          <adamensis@g...> wrote:
          > How is it that PC World reported speeds many times faster than this in
          > their reviews?
          > [...]
          > > I use 10b/s ~ 1B/s as an approximation. With that, I would say 7MB/s
          > > is about 70Mb/s, which isn't all that far from the 100Mb/s Ethernet
          > > speed. Seems to me you're not likely to exceed 10MB/s under the best
          > > of circumstances.

          I don't know. Some possibilities:
          1) They measured disk transfer speeds directly on the box, not over
          the network.
          2) They measured speed on a v.2 box that (I can only guess) has 1Gb/s
          Ethernet, and they used a 1Gb/s network connection.

          I could be overlooking something (corrections welcome!), but you can't
          get more than 100Mb/s out of a 100-BaseT network!

          Dave Kristol