slow upload

  • djlogic20
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      I have a 120GB Linkstation and I only get about 2 mb/sec upload
      speeds. This makes the drive relatively useless when I want to backup
      large folders. If I upload overnight it will still be uploading in
      the morning!

      I have tried changing the duplex on my NIC as well as enabling UPnP on
      my router and this changes nothing. Is this a realistic speed?

      Thanks,

      Adam
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        Hi Adam,

        my Linkstation has been slow too. Although I changed duplex settings
        on my windows machine this didn't help. Later I found out that the
        problem had been caused by my switch which I replaced and then
        everything ran smoothly. But I didn't get more than this

        Win-server to Linkstation-Client:
        Packet size 1k bytes: 9392 KByte/s Tx, 8552 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 2k bytes: 10311 KByte/s Tx, 9724 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 4k bytes: 10895 KByte/s Tx, 10757 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 8k bytes: 11346 KByte/s Tx, 11269 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 16k bytes: 11384 KByte/s Tx, 11259 KByte/s Rx.
        Packet size 32k bytes: 11370 KByte/s Tx, 11257 KByte/s Rx.

        on a low level and not more than about 7-8MB using higher level Samba.
        Full duplex seems to be unsupported by my Linkstation (MIPS) and the
        CPU to slow to process incoming data fast enough.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "djlogic20"
        <adamensis@g...> wrote:
        > I have a 120GB Linkstation and I only get about 2 mb/sec upload
        > speeds. This makes the drive relatively useless when I want to backup
        > large folders. If I upload overnight it will still be uploading in
        > the morning!
        >
        > I have tried changing the duplex on my NIC as well as enabling UPnP on
        > my router and this changes nothing. Is this a realistic speed?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Adam
      • luderitz stephan
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          Hi Adam,

          I just rechecked the speed of my Linkstation. Writing to it from Windows I got: 5,6 MByte/sec, reading from it I got about 7 MByte/sec. I think other people on this mailing list have pretty much confirmed this as well, so this is all you gonna get out of your Linkstation. Maybe you could connect the Linkstation to your PC directly to check if the speed gets any better then, at least this way you would find out if the problem lies with the router.
          You should also consider a different backup scheme, because even if you get up to 5,6 MByte/sec backing up 50 GByte would still take hours. Consider using rsync to do incremental backups or even better the great hard linking method (also using rsync) which will give you snap shots of prior days or weeks. Here you find a good article about that:

          Good luck,
          Stephan

          Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 250MB kostenlosem Speicher
        • Dave Kristol
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, luderitz stephan
            <sluderitz@y...> wrote:
            > Hi Adam,
            >
            > I just rechecked the speed of my Linkstation. Writing to it from
            Windows I got: 5,6 MByte/sec, reading from it I got about 7 MByte/sec.
            I think other people on this mailing list have pretty much confirmed
            this as well, so this is all you gonna get out of your Linkstation.
            Maybe you could connect the Linkstation to your PC directly to check
            if the speed gets any better then, at least this way you would find
            out if the problem lies with the router.
            > You should also consider a different backup scheme, because even if
            you get up to 5,6 MByte/sec backing up 50 GByte would still take
            hours. Consider using rsync to do incremental backups or even better
            the great hard linking method (also using rsync) which will give you
            snap shots of prior days or weeks. Here you find a good article about
            that:
            > http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

            I use 10b/s ~ 1B/s as an approximation. With that, I would say 7MB/s
            is about 70Mb/s, which isn't all that far from the 100Mb/s Ethernet
            speed. Seems to me you're not likely to exceed 10MB/s under the best
            of circumstances.

            Dave Kristol
          • djlogic20
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2005
              How is it that PC World reported speeds many times faster than this in
              their reviews?

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
              <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, luderitz stephan
              > <sluderitz@y...> wrote:
              > > Hi Adam,
              > >
              > > I just rechecked the speed of my Linkstation. Writing to it from
              > Windows I got: 5,6 MByte/sec, reading from it I got about 7 MByte/sec.
              > I think other people on this mailing list have pretty much confirmed
              > this as well, so this is all you gonna get out of your Linkstation.
              > Maybe you could connect the Linkstation to your PC directly to check
              > if the speed gets any better then, at least this way you would find
              > out if the problem lies with the router.
              > > You should also consider a different backup scheme, because even if
              > you get up to 5,6 MByte/sec backing up 50 GByte would still take
              > hours. Consider using rsync to do incremental backups or even better
              > the great hard linking method (also using rsync) which will give you
              > snap shots of prior days or weeks. Here you find a good article about
              > that:
              > > http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
              >
              > I use 10b/s ~ 1B/s as an approximation. With that, I would say 7MB/s
              > is about 70Mb/s, which isn't all that far from the 100Mb/s Ethernet
              > speed. Seems to me you're not likely to exceed 10MB/s under the best
              > of circumstances.
              >
              > Dave Kristol
            • Dave Kristol
              Message 6 of 6 , May 3, 2005
                <adamensis@g...> wrote:
                > How is it that PC World reported speeds many times faster than this in
                > their reviews?
                > [...]
                > > I use 10b/s ~ 1B/s as an approximation. With that, I would say 7MB/s
                > > is about 70Mb/s, which isn't all that far from the 100Mb/s Ethernet
                > > speed. Seems to me you're not likely to exceed 10MB/s under the best
                > > of circumstances.

                I don't know. Some possibilities:
                1) They measured disk transfer speeds directly on the box, not over
                the network.
                2) They measured speed on a v.2 box that (I can only guess) has 1Gb/s
                Ethernet, and they used a 1Gb/s network connection.

                I could be overlooking something (corrections welcome!), but you can't
                get more than 100Mb/s out of a 100-BaseT network!

                Dave Kristol