You guys are all operating at a much more technical level than this
post, but I just wanted to mention (with thanks) a solution to a
problem I have had for a couple of months. I bought a Linkstation a
year or so ago and set it up in my Win NT4 Domain. It did not work
until I upgraded the firmware to 1.44 then, to my surprise, when I
gave it the domain name, it negotiated a machine account with the
server and appeared in browse lists, made its shares available etc.
etc. It even turned up in the list of computers in NT's server
management tools (but of course you could not actually manage it
from there). It did not seem to pull the domain user lists
successfully, but as an unsecured general share available to
machines running 2K, XP and NT4 it was great. Then I upgraded my
domain to a Win 2003, and the Linkstation 'disappeared'.
I could still access the web interface and ping the device, but
hours and hours (and hours and hours and hours) of attempts to get
at the shares from any other domain computer were to no avail. Even
guest computers on the LAN but not in the domain could not even see
the Linkstation in browse lists and could not net use to its
shares. Other than occasionally googling the problem in an idle
moment, I gave up.
Well, long story slightly shorter, yesterday I found this group,
downloaded the 1.47 firmware upgrader via one of the links in the
links section, failed to follow the advice to turn off the firewall
in the machine the upgrade was running from, (and therefore) failed
to upgrade the device, then FOLLOWED the advice to turn off the
firewall and successfully upgraded the firmware - after which I was
delighted to find my Linkstation back in browse lists.
The 1.47 web interface no longer offers the option to join a domain -
just a workgroup. The interface offers the advice to leave the
workgroup name blank if joining a domain, but there is nowhere to
put a domain name and it will not accept a blank workgroup name. I
was able to put the LS in a workgroup, but then I put my domain name
instead of the workgroup name - and (to my delight and astonishment)
now the LS appears in the list of domain computers in the browse
list! Users can brows to it, see and access the shares and net use
to them. It is still basically unsecured (and unsecurable) and I do
not really understand ADS, so I do not know how its shares
will 'fit' in the ADS architecture, but I really only use the LS for
archival data (which has static backups elsewhere) and network
accessible copies of data CDs etc. so it does not really matter.
The point is that now that I have it 'back', I have freed up 120GB
of much more expensive tape backed-up SCSI RAID disk space
for 'real' data.
I am grateful to he/she or those who established this group and to
you all for the effort you make to assist the on-line community. I
am sorry for the long post, but having been assisted, I wanted to
offer this story to help to other neophytes who may encounter the
Thanks and Regards,