Re: iptables problems! iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      Actually, I'm really happy with what I've been able to accomplish thus
      far without flashing to the Kuro firmware. I think the better path for
      me is if I can simply add the ip modules to the kernal. If that
      doesn't work, then I can resort to flashing to the Kuro firmware. When
      you have the time please let me know how you did it.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > I think the better path for me is if I can simply add the ip modules
        > to the kernal.

        Anyone know where the original kernel config files are for both the LS
        and the Kurobox kernels? I guess I need to have a look at them to
        determine everything these kernels are capable of.

        > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting
        > > from scratch?

        You don't have to "start from scratch" on anything unless you mess up
        and "brick" your LS, in which case you *really* have to start over
        from scratch!

        Switching to the Kurobox kernel is really just two steps, copy over
        the kernel's module tree (/lib/modules/...) directory and then the
        simple but scarey flash memory write procedure. I did it recently and
        it worked great. There is a thread about it on the Kurobox forums,
        but I guess I need to do a simplified little how-to because this is
        something you only get one chance to get right!

        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age
        > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
        > > > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
        > > > working on my LS. I finally figured out
        > > > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
        > > > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
        > > > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
        > > > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
        > > > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).

        > > > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
        > > > short how-to.

        I too would be interested in this. The Debian that both "wedgemusic"
        and I are running expects that you have this running and won't even
        let us do DHCP without it. I do have a "netfilter" directory full of
        all kinds of iptable modules but I never really learned how any of
        this stuff worked because on all the Linux distributions I've ever
        installed (including other Debian ones) it "just worked". I suspect
        that maybe these kernels don't have the automatic module loader (kmod)
        running or perhaps the modules.conf file is all messed up because I
        find I have to manually load modules when I need them.

        On a similar topic: What USB modules are you running, I can't get USB
        to work unless I load the usb-ohci module. Since this is a USB 1.x
        module, I only get 12Mb/s speed (hence I can only burn CD's from my LS
        at 6x speed). Is there EHCI (USB-2.0) code compiled in this kernel?

        > > > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
        > > > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
        > > > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
        > > > on an LS running the stock Linux install.

        Congratulations for pulling that all off.

        Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation how-to? It is nice when
        you can get others' caught up to where you are because they can then
        help out at times as we all work to move foreward.
      • Art Age
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2005
          > Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation
          > how-to? It is nice when
          > you can get others' caught up to where you are
          > because they can then
          > help out at times as we all work to move foreward.

          I actually followed the how-to over on the wiki at the
          kurobox forum. It was pretty straight-forward.

          Sam

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2005
            I see you uploaded some new files, including some to do with iptables.
            Are you still planning on writing that tutorial?