Re: iptables problems! iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1 12:51 PM
      Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting from
      scratch? Other than the kernal, I don't believe I'm using anything
      from the stock setup.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age <artagesw@y...> wrote:
      > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
      > working on my LS. Repeated appeals for help here and
      > elsewhere yielded no answers. I finally figured out
      > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
      > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
      > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
      > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
      > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).
      >
      > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
      > short how-to.
      >
      > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
      > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
      > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
      > on an LS running the stock Linux install.
      >
      > Sam
      >
      > --- wedgemusic <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
      > > I get this error everytime I attempt to do something
      > > related to the
      > > iptables. I attmpeted to "insmod iptables, insmod
      > > ip_tables, and
      > > insmod iptables_filter" but I get "no module found
      > > by that name." Does
      > > anybody know what the heck is going on and how to
      > > fix it???

      > http://mail.yahoo.com
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 1:21 PM
        Actually, I'm really happy with what I've been able to accomplish thus
        far without flashing to the Kuro firmware. I think the better path for
        me is if I can simply add the ip modules to the kernal. If that
        doesn't work, then I can resort to flashing to the Kuro firmware. When
        you have the time please let me know how you did it.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 10:10 PM
          <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > I think the better path for me is if I can simply add the ip modules
          > to the kernal.

          Anyone know where the original kernel config files are for both the LS
          and the Kurobox kernels? I guess I need to have a look at them to
          determine everything these kernels are capable of.

          > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > > Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting
          > > from scratch?

          You don't have to "start from scratch" on anything unless you mess up
          and "brick" your LS, in which case you *really* have to start over
          from scratch!

          Switching to the Kurobox kernel is really just two steps, copy over
          the kernel's module tree (/lib/modules/...) directory and then the
          simple but scarey flash memory write procedure. I did it recently and
          it worked great. There is a thread about it on the Kurobox forums,
          but I guess I need to do a simplified little how-to because this is
          something you only get one chance to get right!

          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age
          > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
          > > > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
          > > > working on my LS. I finally figured out
          > > > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
          > > > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
          > > > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
          > > > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
          > > > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).

          > > > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
          > > > short how-to.

          I too would be interested in this. The Debian that both "wedgemusic"
          and I are running expects that you have this running and won't even
          let us do DHCP without it. I do have a "netfilter" directory full of
          all kinds of iptable modules but I never really learned how any of
          this stuff worked because on all the Linux distributions I've ever
          installed (including other Debian ones) it "just worked". I suspect
          that maybe these kernels don't have the automatic module loader (kmod)
          running or perhaps the modules.conf file is all messed up because I
          find I have to manually load modules when I need them.

          On a similar topic: What USB modules are you running, I can't get USB
          to work unless I load the usb-ohci module. Since this is a USB 1.x
          module, I only get 12Mb/s speed (hence I can only burn CD's from my LS
          at 6x speed). Is there EHCI (USB-2.0) code compiled in this kernel?

          > > > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
          > > > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
          > > > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
          > > > on an LS running the stock Linux install.

          Congratulations for pulling that all off.

          Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation how-to? It is nice when
          you can get others' caught up to where you are because they can then
          help out at times as we all work to move foreward.
        • Art Age
          Message 4 of 7 , May 3 7:14 PM
            > Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation
            > how-to? It is nice when
            > you can get others' caught up to where you are
            > because they can then
            > help out at times as we all work to move foreward.

            I actually followed the how-to over on the wiki at the
            kurobox forum. It was pretty straight-forward.

            Sam

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • wedgemusic
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3 8:14 PM
              I see you uploaded some new files, including some to do with iptables.
              Are you still planning on writing that tutorial?