Re: [LinkStation_General] iptables problems! iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)

  • Art Age
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
      working on my LS. Repeated appeals for help here and
      elsewhere yielded no answers. I finally figured out
      that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
      found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
      to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
      older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
      version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).

      When I get some time, I will try to put together a
      short how-to.

      One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
      on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
      kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
      on an LS running the stock Linux install.

      Sam

      --- wedgemusic <wedgemusic@...> wrote:
      > I get this error everytime I attempt to do something
      > related to the
      > iptables. I attmpeted to "insmod iptables, insmod
      > ip_tables, and
      > insmod iptables_filter" but I get "no module found
      > by that name." Does
      > anybody know what the heck is going on and how to
      > fix it???

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting from
        scratch? Other than the kernal, I don't believe I'm using anything
        from the stock setup.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age <artagesw@y...> wrote:
        > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
        > working on my LS. Repeated appeals for help here and
        > elsewhere yielded no answers. I finally figured out
        > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
        > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
        > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
        > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
        > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).
        >
        > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
        > short how-to.
        >
        > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
        > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
        > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
        > on an LS running the stock Linux install.
        >
        > Sam
        >
        > --- wedgemusic <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
        > > I get this error everytime I attempt to do something
        > > related to the
        > > iptables. I attmpeted to "insmod iptables, insmod
        > > ip_tables, and
        > > insmod iptables_filter" but I get "no module found
        > > by that name." Does
        > > anybody know what the heck is going on and how to
        > > fix it???

        > http://mail.yahoo.com
      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2005
          Actually, I'm really happy with what I've been able to accomplish thus
          far without flashing to the Kuro firmware. I think the better path for
          me is if I can simply add the ip modules to the kernal. If that
          doesn't work, then I can resort to flashing to the Kuro firmware. When
          you have the time please let me know how you did it.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2005
            <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > I think the better path for me is if I can simply add the ip modules
            > to the kernal.

            Anyone know where the original kernel config files are for both the LS
            and the Kurobox kernels? I guess I need to have a look at them to
            determine everything these kernels are capable of.

            > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
            > > Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting
            > > from scratch?

            You don't have to "start from scratch" on anything unless you mess up
            and "brick" your LS, in which case you *really* have to start over
            from scratch!

            Switching to the Kurobox kernel is really just two steps, copy over
            the kernel's module tree (/lib/modules/...) directory and then the
            simple but scarey flash memory write procedure. I did it recently and
            it worked great. There is a thread about it on the Kurobox forums,
            but I guess I need to do a simplified little how-to because this is
            something you only get one chance to get right!

            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age
            > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
            > > > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
            > > > working on my LS. I finally figured out
            > > > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
            > > > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
            > > > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
            > > > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
            > > > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).

            > > > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
            > > > short how-to.

            I too would be interested in this. The Debian that both "wedgemusic"
            and I are running expects that you have this running and won't even
            let us do DHCP without it. I do have a "netfilter" directory full of
            all kinds of iptable modules but I never really learned how any of
            this stuff worked because on all the Linux distributions I've ever
            installed (including other Debian ones) it "just worked". I suspect
            that maybe these kernels don't have the automatic module loader (kmod)
            running or perhaps the modules.conf file is all messed up because I
            find I have to manually load modules when I need them.

            On a similar topic: What USB modules are you running, I can't get USB
            to work unless I load the usb-ohci module. Since this is a USB 1.x
            module, I only get 12Mb/s speed (hence I can only burn CD's from my LS
            at 6x speed). Is there EHCI (USB-2.0) code compiled in this kernel?

            > > > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
            > > > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
            > > > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
            > > > on an LS running the stock Linux install.

            Congratulations for pulling that all off.

            Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation how-to? It is nice when
            you can get others' caught up to where you are because they can then
            help out at times as we all work to move foreward.
          • Art Age
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2005
              > Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation
              > how-to? It is nice when
              > you can get others' caught up to where you are
              > because they can then
              > help out at times as we all work to move foreward.

              I actually followed the how-to over on the wiki at the
              kurobox forum. It was pretty straight-forward.

              Sam

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • wedgemusic
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2005
                I see you uploaded some new files, including some to do with iptables.
                Are you still planning on writing that tutorial?