iptables problems! iptables who? (do you need to insmod?)

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      I get this error everytime I attempt to do something related to the
      iptables. I attmpeted to "insmod iptables, insmod ip_tables, and
      insmod iptables_filter" but I get "no module found by that name." Does
      anybody know what the heck is going on and how to fix it???
    • Art Age
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
        working on my LS. Repeated appeals for help here and
        elsewhere yielded no answers. I finally figured out
        that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
        found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
        to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
        older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
        version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).

        When I get some time, I will try to put together a
        short how-to.

        One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
        on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
        kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
        on an LS running the stock Linux install.

        Sam

        --- wedgemusic <wedgemusic@...> wrote:
        > I get this error everytime I attempt to do something
        > related to the
        > iptables. I attmpeted to "insmod iptables, insmod
        > ip_tables, and
        > insmod iptables_filter" but I get "no module found
        > by that name." Does
        > anybody know what the heck is going on and how to
        > fix it???

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • wedgemusic
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2005
          Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting from
          scratch? Other than the kernal, I don't believe I'm using anything
          from the stock setup.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age <artagesw@y...> wrote:
          > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
          > working on my LS. Repeated appeals for help here and
          > elsewhere yielded no answers. I finally figured out
          > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
          > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
          > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
          > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
          > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).
          >
          > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
          > short how-to.
          >
          > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
          > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
          > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
          > on an LS running the stock Linux install.
          >
          > Sam
          >
          > --- wedgemusic <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
          > > I get this error everytime I attempt to do something
          > > related to the
          > > iptables. I attmpeted to "insmod iptables, insmod
          > > ip_tables, and
          > > insmod iptables_filter" but I get "no module found
          > > by that name." Does
          > > anybody know what the heck is going on and how to
          > > fix it???

          > http://mail.yahoo.com
        • wedgemusic
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1, 2005
            Actually, I'm really happy with what I've been able to accomplish thus
            far without flashing to the Kuro firmware. I think the better path for
            me is if I can simply add the ip modules to the kernal. If that
            doesn't work, then I can resort to flashing to the Kuro firmware. When
            you have the time please let me know how you did it.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"

            Message 5 of 7 , May 1, 2005
              <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
              > I think the better path for me is if I can simply add the ip modules
              > to the kernal.

              Anyone know where the original kernel config files are for both the LS
              and the Kurobox kernels? I guess I need to have a look at them to
              determine everything these kernels are capable of.

              > <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:
              > > Might I be better off flashing to the Kuro kernal and starting
              > > from scratch?

              You don't have to "start from scratch" on anything unless you mess up
              and "brick" your LS, in which case you *really* have to start over
              from scratch!

              Switching to the Kurobox kernel is really just two steps, copy over
              the kernel's module tree (/lib/modules/...) directory and then the
              simple but scarey flash memory write procedure. I did it recently and
              it worked great. There is a thread about it on the Kurobox forums,
              but I guess I need to do a simplified little how-to because this is
              something you only get one chance to get right!

              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Art Age
              > > <artagesw@y...> wrote:
              > > > I too was flummoxed in my attempt to get iptables
              > > > working on my LS. I finally figured out
              > > > that the LS needed the ip kernel modules installed. I
              > > > found these on a Japanese site, after which I was able
              > > > to build and run iptables. I elected to go with an
              > > > older version of iptables due to the LS kernel
              > > > version being a bit dated (I believe v.1.2.5).

              > > > When I get some time, I will try to put together a
              > > > short how-to.

              I too would be interested in this. The Debian that both "wedgemusic"
              and I are running expects that you have this running and won't even
              let us do DHCP without it. I do have a "netfilter" directory full of
              all kinds of iptable modules but I never really learned how any of
              this stuff worked because on all the Linux distributions I've ever
              installed (including other Debian ones) it "just worked". I suspect
              that maybe these kernels don't have the automatic module loader (kmod)
              running or perhaps the modules.conf file is all messed up because I
              find I have to manually load modules when I need them.

              On a similar topic: What USB modules are you running, I can't get USB
              to work unless I load the usb-ohci module. Since this is a USB 1.x
              module, I only get 12Mb/s speed (hence I can only burn CD's from my LS
              at 6x speed). Is there EHCI (USB-2.0) code compiled in this kernel?

              > > > One thing you should know is that I am running gentoo
              > > > on my LS, which has also been upgraded to the Kurobox
              > > > kernel. I have no idea if you can get iptables to work
              > > > on an LS running the stock Linux install.

              Congratulations for pulling that all off.

              Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation how-to? It is nice when
              you can get others' caught up to where you are because they can then
              help out at times as we all work to move foreward.
            • Art Age
              Message 6 of 7 , May 3, 2005
                > Ever considered doing a Gentoo-on-Linkstation
                > how-to? It is nice when
                > you can get others' caught up to where you are
                > because they can then
                > help out at times as we all work to move foreward.

                I actually followed the how-to over on the wiki at the
                kurobox forum. It was pretty straight-forward.

                Sam

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • wedgemusic
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2005
                  I see you uploaded some new files, including some to do with iptables.
                  Are you still planning on writing that tutorial?