Re: Upgrading/Replacing Drive within Linkstation

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      I have not upgraded to a bigger hard disc but I installed a different
      hard disc because I was a little cowardous and didn't want to mess my
      linkstation up ;-)
      I made an image of the first partition and stored it on a pc in my
      network which has a ftp server. Then I installed a new hard disc (40GB
      in this case) and created these partitions:

      1. partition with the same size as the first partition of the
      Linkstation's hard disc
      2. a swap partition (about the same size as the 250GB disc of my
      Linkstation II had)
      3. the rest

      To the first partition I copied the image (transferred it to the third
      partition using ftp and then did a dd if=/mnt/hda3/hda1.bin of=/dev/hda1.

      All of these partitions were primary partitions. I did this on a
      normal x86 pc and then put the disc into the Linkstation and it booted
      fine.

      It was a good idea I did this because during my hacking efforts I
      messed the disc up many times. ;-)
      I think it shouldn't be a problem to install and "normal" P-ATA hard
      disc that's correctly jumpered. The latest Linkstation is sold with a
      400GB (or was it 350GB ?) drive.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"
      <bobateiger@h...> wrote:
      > Has anyone done this sort of thing yet?
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
      > <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey guys. I just got myself a 160GB LinkStation (sorry to say it's
      > > not a 2.0 hardware; i flashed the firmware to 1.46.10 tho).
      > >
      > > Are there any step-by-step instructions (document or web page) on how
      > > to upgrade the internal drive? If not, we need to make one (I'd do it
      > > if I knew what the steps were!). :)
      > >
      > > And what is the max capacity the Linkstation can handle?
      > > Will any drive work?
      > >
      > > thanks.
      > >
      > > -taka
    • JSCHLADE
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2005
        Hi All,

        I just bought a LS 160 and it came with firmware 2.04 (looks like a
        have LS II?). I did some tests with Windows 2003 and everything
        worked great but I wanted to upgrade the internal hard drive. I
        didn't think it would be problem till I realized you couldn't easily
        open it but I found some great instructions here:

        http://www.natfairbanks.com/

        So I stuck in a 320G hard drive that was formatted using FAT32 but my
        LS failed to boot up and the diagnostic light blinked 6 times. I
        called Buffalo support and found out this means there's a hard drive
        problem but they weren't too helpful. So I searched the net and
        luckily found this group. I've read some posts and it looks like it
        can be done but I have a few questions:

        1) Do I just need to init the hard drive and stick it in again?
        2) Will the LS automatically format it and create the needed
        partitions?
        3) I guess I should have looked at how the original hard drive was
        partition but I assumed the LS OS was in the firmware. Does anyone
        some step by step instructions?
        4) What's on these partitions?

        Thanks,
        John
      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2005
          > I just bought a LS 160 and it came with firmware 2.04 (looks like a
          > have LS II?). I did some tests with Windows 2003 and everything

          yes, that's Linkstation II

          > So I stuck in a 320G hard drive that was formatted using FAT32 but
          > my LS failed to boot up and the diagnostic light blinked 6 times.

          That's because Linkstations only have a part of the software they need
          for booting in flash. The rest is stored on the first partition.

          > 1) Do I just need to init the hard drive and stick it in again?
          > 2) Will the LS automatically format it and create the needed
          > partitions?

          No and no.

          > 3) I guess I should have looked at how the original hard drive was
          > partition but I assumed the LS OS was in the firmware. Does anyone
          > some step by step instructions?
          > 4) What's on these partitions?

          John, have a look at the hacking howto in the links section. It does
          not give you a detailed instruction how to replace the internal drive
          but it could give you an idea how to do this. I myself replaced (for
          testing purposed) the internal 250GB harddrive with a 40GB drive,
          perhaps I will write the steps down and integrate them into the howto.
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2005
            > but it could give you an idea how to do this. I myself replaced (for
            > testing purposed) the internal 250GB harddrive with a 40GB drive,
            > perhaps I will write the steps down and integrate them into the howto.

            because the tv program is boring today I decided to update the howto.
            Your 320GB drive is bigger than the maximum Buffalo sells. I think it
            would be interesting for people to read what's the maximum size the
            Linkstation supports. Someone here with a 400MB drive ?
          • JSCHLADE
            Message 5 of 7 , May 17, 2005

              Thanks for updating your document. It was very useful to print out
              and reference when I performed the hard drive upgrade last night.
              After repartitioning my new hard drive into the 3 partitions for the
              OS, swap and storage, the LS still failed to boot up after inserting
              the new drive.

              I even made sure I set the jumper on the drive to MS like the
              original one is configured.

              I used ff to copy the first partition to the new drive from the old
              drive. It was easy to setup the 2nd partition which was swap. The 3
              one took a little bit because I had to format it.

              Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I hope I didn't toast
              this thing. The more I read and learn about it, the more I like it.
              Tonight I'll verify that I can still use the old drive. It should
              work since I didn't do anything to it beside run that utility
              that "unhides" the partitions.

              Does, anyone have a good recommendation on how to debug this issue?
              I don't understand what problem it would be having with the drive?
              All the partitions look great. Does the 1st one have to bootable or
              something? I'm definitely not a UNIX expert, but I know enough to be
              dangerous.

              Thanks again,
              John

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"