Re: Upgrading/Replacing Drive within Linkstation

  • lb_worm
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2005
      Has anyone done this sort of thing yet?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
      <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:

      > Hey guys. I just got myself a 160GB LinkStation (sorry to say it's
      > not a 2.0 hardware; i flashed the firmware to 1.46.10 tho).
      >
      > Are there any step-by-step instructions (document or web page) on how
      > to upgrade the internal drive? If not, we need to make one (I'd do it
      > if I knew what the steps were!). :)
      >
      > And what is the max capacity the Linkstation can handle?
      > Will any drive work?
      >
      > thanks.
      >
      > -taka
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2005
        I have not upgraded to a bigger hard disc but I installed a different
        hard disc because I was a little cowardous and didn't want to mess my
        linkstation up ;-)
        I made an image of the first partition and stored it on a pc in my
        network which has a ftp server. Then I installed a new hard disc (40GB
        in this case) and created these partitions:

        1. partition with the same size as the first partition of the
        Linkstation's hard disc
        2. a swap partition (about the same size as the 250GB disc of my
        Linkstation II had)
        3. the rest

        To the first partition I copied the image (transferred it to the third
        partition using ftp and then did a dd if=/mnt/hda3/hda1.bin of=/dev/hda1.

        All of these partitions were primary partitions. I did this on a
        normal x86 pc and then put the disc into the Linkstation and it booted
        fine.

        It was a good idea I did this because during my hacking efforts I
        messed the disc up many times. ;-)
        I think it shouldn't be a problem to install and "normal" P-ATA hard
        disc that's correctly jumpered. The latest Linkstation is sold with a
        400GB (or was it 350GB ?) drive.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "lb_worm"
        <bobateiger@h...> wrote:
        > Has anyone done this sort of thing yet?
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Taka Torimoto"
        > <ttorimoto@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey guys. I just got myself a 160GB LinkStation (sorry to say it's
        > > not a 2.0 hardware; i flashed the firmware to 1.46.10 tho).
        > >
        > > Are there any step-by-step instructions (document or web page) on how
        > > to upgrade the internal drive? If not, we need to make one (I'd do it
        > > if I knew what the steps were!). :)
        > >
        > > And what is the max capacity the Linkstation can handle?
        > > Will any drive work?
        > >
        > > thanks.
        > >
        > > -taka
      • JSCHLADE
        Message 3 of 7 , May 15, 2005
          Hi All,

          I just bought a LS 160 and it came with firmware 2.04 (looks like a
          have LS II?). I did some tests with Windows 2003 and everything
          worked great but I wanted to upgrade the internal hard drive. I
          didn't think it would be problem till I realized you couldn't easily
          open it but I found some great instructions here:

          http://www.natfairbanks.com/

          So I stuck in a 320G hard drive that was formatted using FAT32 but my
          LS failed to boot up and the diagnostic light blinked 6 times. I
          called Buffalo support and found out this means there's a hard drive
          problem but they weren't too helpful. So I searched the net and
          luckily found this group. I've read some posts and it looks like it
          can be done but I have a few questions:

          1) Do I just need to init the hard drive and stick it in again?
          2) Will the LS automatically format it and create the needed
          partitions?
          3) I guess I should have looked at how the original hard drive was
          partition but I assumed the LS OS was in the firmware. Does anyone
          some step by step instructions?
          4) What's on these partitions?

          Thanks,
          John
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 7 , May 15, 2005
            > I just bought a LS 160 and it came with firmware 2.04 (looks like a
            > have LS II?). I did some tests with Windows 2003 and everything

            yes, that's Linkstation II

            > So I stuck in a 320G hard drive that was formatted using FAT32 but
            > my LS failed to boot up and the diagnostic light blinked 6 times.

            That's because Linkstations only have a part of the software they need
            for booting in flash. The rest is stored on the first partition.

            > 1) Do I just need to init the hard drive and stick it in again?
            > 2) Will the LS automatically format it and create the needed
            > partitions?

            No and no.

            > 3) I guess I should have looked at how the original hard drive was
            > partition but I assumed the LS OS was in the firmware. Does anyone
            > some step by step instructions?
            > 4) What's on these partitions?

            John, have a look at the hacking howto in the links section. It does
            not give you a detailed instruction how to replace the internal drive
            but it could give you an idea how to do this. I myself replaced (for
            testing purposed) the internal 250GB harddrive with a 40GB drive,
            perhaps I will write the steps down and integrate them into the howto.
          • balimbabullabe
            Message 5 of 7 , May 15, 2005
              > but it could give you an idea how to do this. I myself replaced (for
              > testing purposed) the internal 250GB harddrive with a 40GB drive,
              > perhaps I will write the steps down and integrate them into the howto.

              because the tv program is boring today I decided to update the howto.
              Your 320GB drive is bigger than the maximum Buffalo sells. I think it
              would be interesting for people to read what's the maximum size the
              Linkstation supports. Someone here with a 400MB drive ?
            • JSCHLADE
              Message 6 of 7 , May 17, 2005

                Thanks for updating your document. It was very useful to print out
                and reference when I performed the hard drive upgrade last night.
                After repartitioning my new hard drive into the 3 partitions for the
                OS, swap and storage, the LS still failed to boot up after inserting
                the new drive.

                I even made sure I set the jumper on the drive to MS like the
                original one is configured.

                I used ff to copy the first partition to the new drive from the old
                drive. It was easy to setup the 2nd partition which was swap. The 3
                one took a little bit because I had to format it.

                Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I hope I didn't toast
                this thing. The more I read and learn about it, the more I like it.
                Tonight I'll verify that I can still use the old drive. It should
                work since I didn't do anything to it beside run that utility
                that "unhides" the partitions.

                Does, anyone have a good recommendation on how to debug this issue?
                I don't understand what problem it would be having with the drive?
                All the partitions look great. Does the 1st one have to bootable or
                something? I'm definitely not a UNIX expert, but I know enough to be
                dangerous.

                Thanks again,
                John

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"