Re: What is the best way without Power-On HD to know what CPU is inside? and mo

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 16 , May 1, 2005
      > At first it seem faster cause of the CPU and I browsed quickly the
      > doc from what I understand it have a unix patition with the OS and a
      > swap partition and therst is for "our own use" ;-)

      400MHz doesn't necessarily mean it's faster than a 200MHz CPU ...

      > So do you think with this version ( I assume I have 2.x) I will be
      > able to do all I want ?

      You should be, but it could be difficult to compile programs on your own

      > I have here DLD the 2.04 Firmware do you know if it is good ? or it
      > have some better firmware I can downlad ?

      I have 2.04 and it's working fine. But there's a 2.11 available too

      > Best Regards
      > Mike
      >

      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mcadorette2000"
      > > <mcadorette2000@y...> wrote:
      > > > The model on the side is: "HD-H250LAN (F)"
      > > >
      > > > I intend to use it:
      > > >
      > > > As a Mainly Backup device for all savor of Windows 9x up to XP
      > and
      > > > even 2003 in near future. Also I'd like be able to use the print
      > > > server under Windows with printers that don't need a computer to
      > run
      > > > like old Epson inkjet colors printers and Canon BJ printers or
      > newer
      > > > Highend printer that don't rely on windows OS for running ( It
      > could
      > > > be also Laserjet in PCL not postcript or Okidata led page prt. ) .
      > > >
      > > > I'd like also to use the second USB port to add 250-300 Gig HD to
      > > > have more storage.
      > > >
      > > > BTW: Do you have some good back-up software to suggest to me that
      > > > work well. I have already Acronis, some have used it with
      > > > linkstation ?
      > > >
      > > > I have also see patch for time shifting on the clock, it is a
      > real
      > > > problem for all unit ?
      > > >
      > > > On the second HD (USB port) it is easy to setup an FTP server ?
      > and
      > > > could you tell me if I can set a password for the FTP server.
      > > >
      > > > Also since I'm new I've DLD all I can find in firmware, software
      > and
      > > > doc on the web about it, just in case a rage of linux hang me ;-).
      > > >
      > > > But for now it is more basic operation.
      > > >
      > > > PS: I will backup 4 computer on my network plus one laptop. I'D
      > like
      > > > to be able to do FULL backup even of the file used by the OS
      > > > (Windows) so the software you will suggest is vey important.
      > > >
      > > > BTW2: Like to know with which firmware I can loose for sure data.
      > > >
      > > > LAST ;-) I'd like to know the features good and bad of each
      > firmware
      > > > for the LinkStation (Like an history of the change).
      > > >
      > > > Thanks to all
      > > > Mike
      > > > Canada
    • mcadorette2000
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2005
        > 400MHz doesn't necessarily mean it's faster than a 200MHz CPU ...
        I know it depend also of the kind of CPU/Instructions it take and how
        it process it.

        > > So do you think with this version ( I assume I have 2.x) I will
        be able to do all I want ?

        > You should be, but it could be difficult to compile programs on
        your own

        I don't intend for the moment to use it no more than Backup Unit, Use
        the USB printer port for a printer & the other USB to increase
        storage for storage file and FTP if it work fine.
        > > I have here DLD the 2.04 Firmware do you know if it is good ? or
        it
        > > have some better firmware I can downlad ?
        >
        > I have 2.04 and it's working fine. But there's a 2.11 available too
        What is the differences with 2.11 versus 2.04 ? could you tell me the
        good and bad for the 2.11

        I've googling to find 2.11 and find nothing about it could you help
        me to find it ?

        BTW: When I was googling I found a page in japanese that seem to have
        all the history of the firmware from 2.0 to 2.13a but see nothing
        about 2.11 ?

        I join the url: http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-
        lan-ver2a.html

        I wait for your good advise.

      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 16 , May 2, 2005
          > What is the differences with 2.11 versus 2.04 ? could you tell me
          > the good and bad for the 2.11

          I don't know the differences either. I think 2.13 is at present only
          available with japanese texts so you should at most update to 2.11.
          Do you have problems with your current firmware ? Or do you miss a
          feature ? If not you should in my eyes stick with the firmware you have.
        • mcadorette2000
          Message 4 of 16 , May 2, 2005
            <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
            > > What is the differences with 2.11 versus 2.04 ? could you tell me
            > > the good and bad for the 2.11
            >
            > I don't know the differences either. I think 2.13 is at present only
            > available with japanese texts so you should at most update to 2.11.
            > Do you have problems with your current firmware ?

            Like I said before I just have the LinkStation II near me unplugged
            and it will be in function in 2-4 week with the new network. So for
            the present I don't know if I will have problems. I have read a lot
            and some firmware seem to add feature and remove others.... It is why
            before beginning the whole set-up I try to gain all informations I
            can have to do the thing RIGHT the first time.

            Or do you miss a
            > feature ?

            The same I don't know if I the firmware can do all things I want.

            >If not you should in my eyes stick with the firmware you have.

            I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
            firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
            to find it ?

            Thanks
            Mike
          • balimbabullabe
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2005
              > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
              > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
              > to find it ?

              the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
              http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/
            • meichrie
              Message 6 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                > > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                > > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
                > > to find it ?
                >
                > the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                > http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/

                I tried to update my firmware from 2.00 up to 2.05 with the link above
                with the result that I cannot connect to my LinkStation anymore!

                Can anybody help me to recover the old (2.00) version or knows a
                firmwareupdate that works?!?

                The IP Setup Utility works and I can change the IP but I cannot
                connect to the webinterface. The IP Setup Utility shows a firmware
                version "6.00" and a hostname "HD-HDLAN-EM".

                Would be great if anybody could help me soon!!!

                Michael
              • Bertram Dorfler
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2005

                  Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure. I never get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem with the 2.05 firmware; it’s just not flashed correctly…

                  > > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                  > > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
                  > > to find it ?
                  >
                  > the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                  > http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/

                  I tried to update my firmware from 2.00 up to 2.05 with the link above
                  with the result that I cannot connect to my LinkStation anymore!

                  Can anybody help me to recover the old (2.00) version or knows a
                  firmwareupdate that works?!?

                  The IP Setup Utility works and I can change the IP but I cannot
                  connect to the webinterface. The IP Setup Utility shows a firmware
                  version "6.00" and a hostname "HD-HDLAN-EM".

                  Would be great if anybody could help me soon!!!

                  Michael

                • poetting2001
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                    Hi Folks,

                    as discussed before on this forum it is very important to deactivate
                    any firewall in order to update your Linkstation properly. Don´t
                    panic- a second try with firewall deactivated will fix it. At least it
                    did on mine ;-)
                    Good luck!
                    Andreas
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
                    <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                    > Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure. I
                    never
                    > get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem
                    with the
                    > 2.05 firmware; it's just not flashed correctly.
                    >

                    > _____

                    II ? and
                    > more.
                    >

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                    > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                    > > > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being
                    able
                    > > > to find it ?
                    > >
                    > > the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                    > > http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/
                    >
                    > I tried to update my firmware from 2.00 up to 2.05 with the link above
                    > with the result that I cannot connect to my LinkStation anymore!
                    >
                    > Can anybody help me to recover the old (2.00) version or knows a
                    > firmwareupdate that works?!?
                    >
                    > The IP Setup Utility works and I can change the IP but I cannot
                    > connect to the webinterface. The IP Setup Utility shows a firmware
                    > version "6.00" and a hostname "HD-HDLAN-EM".
                    >
                    > Would be great if anybody could help me soon!!!
                    >
                    > Michael
                    >

                    > _____

                  • meichrie
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                      It finally worked when I started the firmwareupdate from another
                      pc!?!?

                      The only differences (I know) between the two pcs are that one has the
                      SP2 installed and the other not. And what surprise: It worked from the
                      SP2 PC! Was this really the problem? I don't know...

                      So now the version 2.05 is running... and I am happy again ;-)
                    • ilneill
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                        I have updated my linkstation 2 a couple of times. Both times I only
                        succeeded if my PC and linkstation were connected via a 100M switch.
                        All attempts via my 100M hub failed at various stages due to time-outs.
                        Attempts via the switch worked first time on both occassions.

                        Ian Neill
                      • mocsharp
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 14, 2005
                          Thanks for the tip. I had the same problem before I turn off XP
                          firewall, it failed to flash the firmware and the firmware became
                          version 6.0. However, after turning XP FW off, it flashed
                          successfully.

                          <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                          > Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure.
                          I never
                          > get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem
                          with the
                          > 2.05 firmware; it's just not flashed correctly.
                          >

                          > _____

                          subject=Unsubscribe>

                        • MrChagle
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 14, 2005
                            I have a Buffalo LinkStation HD-H120LAN

                            I've been told latest version of FW is 1.45 - Is this true? It's what I have on the unit at the moment. Or is there a later.

                            Glen

                            <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                            > Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure.
                            I never
                            > get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem
                            with the
                            > 2.05 firmware; it's just not flashed correctly.
                            >

                            >   _____

                            subject=Unsubscribe>

                            > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

                          • mcadorette2000
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 15, 2005
                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, MrChagle <mrchagle@g...>
                              wrote:
                              > I have a Buffalo LinkStation HD-H120LAN
                              >
                              > I've been told latest version of FW is 1.45 - Is this true? It's what
                              I have
                              > on the unit at the moment. Or is there a later.
                              >
                              > Glen

                              For LinkStation II

                              The latest in English is 2.05 and there is higher version in other
                              language.... 2.13a japanese

                              Regards