Re: Continued Installed Debian, need help with next steps

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
      <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:

      > I forgot to add that people running icewm via VNC should install the
      > Debian menu package. Then a person can run "update-menus" and
      > automatically add all their installed packages/programs to icewm's
      > program menu. It saves a lot of time.

      Hmmm "menu" also got automatically installed in my case (it claims to
      be a dependency of both fluxbox and icewm). Did you turn off
      dependency checking in your apt.conf file or something? It makes me
      wonder what else you have missing? I wonder if "apt-get -f install"
      would find anything (and fix it automatically)?

      "menu" is another nice feature of Debian. With other distributions
      you have to manually update your wm menus, which is a pain if you have
      several of them installed at the same time and are constantly
      installing new stuff. The problem is that I don't like where things
      are placed in menus by default. There is way do overrides in the menu
      system where you can say "anytime Firfox gets re-installed, put the
      menu item *here*", but the whole system isn't very user friendly yet.

      Finally "update-menus" normally runs automatically after you install
      stuff. A trick is that I think it only updates the "system default"
      menus, and not individual user menus (hidden in each user's home
      directory). Usually if the user hasn't created one, then all will be
      well because the "system default" one will get used. Sometimes I've
      had to symlink a user menu to the system one. Watch for all this if
      your menus stop updating someday.
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 6 , May 1, 2005
        > > 3.) Is it possible to install/use TV RSS
        > > (http://tvtrss.sourceforge.net/)? The website lists the binaries as
        > > i386 so I don't know if it can run or be recompiled to be run on a
        > > PPC
        >
        > I briefly checked it out. The downloads aren't binaries like the
        > description says, but simply "C" source code. So it looks like it
        > could also be recompiled.
        >
        > > Linkstation. I believe with this program I can turn my Linkstation
        > > into a virtual TiVo.
        >
        > I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual". I guess you could have some
        > program that goes out and downloads stuff according so some schedule

        That is my plan, hence a "virtual" TiVo because it's limited to new
        episodes available for download, which is all I want anyway. To be
        honest I think it would be easier to buy a TiVo or TiVo clone than
        build one myself :)
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2005
          <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:

          > > > I believe with this program I can turn my Linkstation into a
          > > > virtual TiVo.
          > >
          > > I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual". I guess you could have
          > > some program that goes out and downloads stuff according so some
          > > schedule
          >
          > That is my plan, hence a "virtual" TiVo because it's limited to new
          > episodes available for download, which is all I want anyway. To be
          > honest I think it would be easier to buy a TiVo or TiVo clone than
          > build one myself :)

          Sounds like yet another interesting use for a hacked LS. Like me
          using mine to rip Internet "radio" streams from places like
          www.shoutcast.com with "streamripper".