Installed Debian, need help with next steps

  • wedgemusic
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
      Thanks to warstew's wonderful tutorial I've now successfully installed
      and configured Debian (Sid), VNCserver, SAMBA, and all the other
      modules he recommended. I'm a complete newbie to Linux so I'm
      basically learning Linux as I modify my Linkstation. This group is
      full of such great information that it hasn't been that difficult.
      However, I need help with a few more things:

      1.) How do I have VNCserver run as root on system startup?
      2.) How do I install lighttpd (http://www.lighttpd.net/)? I see a
      precompiled Debian PPC version on their download page but I have no
      idea how to install it (it's not listed in Aptitude). I've already
      removed Apache.
      3.) Is it possible to install/use TV RSS
      (http://tvtrss.sourceforge.net/)? The website lists the binaries as
      i386 so I don't know if it can run or be recompiled to be run on a PPC
      Linkstation. I believe with this program I can turn my Linkstation
      into a virtual TiVo.

      Warstew, I ran into some problems along the way so I have a few
      recommendations for your tutorial (particularly for complete newbies
      like me):

      1.) I struggled to mount the Linkstation hard drive in another Linux
      workstation (running Knoppix) because I didn't know I had to run
      file_ext2_magic first. If you listed this first it would save a lot of
      trouble for other newbies.
      2.) I couldn't get VNCserver to work at first because it failed to
      install xfonts-base and its related modules. Adding xfonts-base to the
      apt-get install vncserver etc etc line will ensure this doesn't happen
      to other people.
      3.) I installed Webmin instead of SWAT and I must say it's amazing. It
      makes administering the Linkstation much, much easier for those of us
      who have little experience with Linux. I am more comfortable and
      confident changing settings from Webmin instead of the command line.

      Thanks again!
    • wedgemusic
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
        I forgot to add that people running icewm via VNC should install the
        Debian menu package. Then a person can run "update-menus" and
        automatically add all their installed packages/programs to icewm's
        program menu. It saves a lot of time.
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "wedgemusic"
          <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:

          > 1.) How do I have VNCserver run as root on system startup?

          I haven't done this myself yet, but there is a document somewhere
          (www.realvnc.com maybe?) about running the vncserver from the Linux
          "superserver" called "inet.d". Inet.d is normally used to start up
          services "on demand". In the document I saw, there were two ways of
          running VNC this way, One was where anytime someone new wanted a VNC
          session, it would start up a new (generic?) session, the other mode
          was where you have certain ports assigned to certain users ("root"
          could be one), and when you requested a VNC session from a certain
          port (or "desktop" using the ":n" thing) then it would fire up the
          server for that user.

          Anyway, I was thinking this might be a way to do it.

          > 2.) How do I install lighttpd (http://www.lighttpd.net/)? I see a
          > precompiled Debian PPC version on their download page but I have no
          > idea how to install it (it's not listed in Aptitude). I've already
          > removed Apache.

          It probably won't run under Sid, but if you would like the try it, you
          can install ".deb"s directly using the command:

          dpkg --install <pkgname.deb>

          What you will probably have to do is download the source file and
          compile it yourself on the LinkStation. Do this by downloading the
          source, "un-tar-ing" it somewhere and read any "COMPILING" or
          "INSTALLING" documents that might be included on the top level
          directory. You might need to also download some header files or
          additional libraries too, but that is easy with Debian once you know
          what you need.

          Note that there are other lightweight web servers that are in the
          Debian binary repository, thttpd seems popular.

          > 3.) Is it possible to install/use TV RSS
          > (http://tvtrss.sourceforge.net/)? The website lists the binaries as
          > i386 so I don't know if it can run or be recompiled to be run on a
          > PPC

          I briefly checked it out. The downloads aren't binaries like the
          description says, but simply "C" source code. So it looks like it
          could also be recompiled.

          > Linkstation. I believe with this program I can turn my Linkstation
          > into a virtual TiVo.

          I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual". I guess you could have some
          program that goes out and downloads stuff according so some schedule,
          but if you are really thinking of having the same functionality of a
          TiVo, you don't have the video hardware (or MPEG CODEC processing
          power) to do it. What seems to be popular for this sort of thing are
          projects based on the "freevo" (freevo.sourceforge.net) project, then
          running it on the little VIA-EPIA computers which aren't much bigger
          than a Linkstation anyway, but a little more expensive. With an
          addition of a video capture card, you can do most all the TiVo functions.

          > Warstew, I ran into some problems along the way so I have a few
          > recommendations for your tutorial (particularly for complete newbies
          > like me):
          >
          > 1.) I struggled to mount the Linkstation hard drive in another Linux
          > workstation (running Knoppix) because I didn't know I had to run
          > file_ext2_magic first. If you listed this first it would save a lot
          > of trouble for other newbies.

          Oh yea, I had run that on my LS a long time ago and forgot all about it.

          > 2.) I couldn't get VNCserver to work at first because it failed to
          > install xfonts-base and its related modules. Adding xfonts-base to
          > the apt-get install vncserver etc etc line will ensure this doesn't
          > happen to other people.

          Good recommendation, I don't know why on mine it installed them with
          VNC, but yours it didn't.

          > 3.) I installed Webmin instead of SWAT and I must say it's amazing.
          > It makes administering the Linkstation much, much easier for those
          > of us who have little experience with Linux. I am more comfortable
          > and confident changing settings from Webmin instead of the command
          > line.

          Very good! James Ronald has been playing with Webmin too and seems to
          like it. Hopefully someone will upload a little tutorial about it to
          the "Debian-on-Linkstation" section, and perhaps some screenshots.
          The more information we can provide to others, the more of them will
          decide to make the switch. Then the more we will all learn as we all
          learn together.

          > Thanks again!

          Looks like you did very well indeed!
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2005
            <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:

            > I forgot to add that people running icewm via VNC should install the
            > Debian menu package. Then a person can run "update-menus" and
            > automatically add all their installed packages/programs to icewm's
            > program menu. It saves a lot of time.

            Hmmm "menu" also got automatically installed in my case (it claims to
            be a dependency of both fluxbox and icewm). Did you turn off
            dependency checking in your apt.conf file or something? It makes me
            wonder what else you have missing? I wonder if "apt-get -f install"
            would find anything (and fix it automatically)?

            "menu" is another nice feature of Debian. With other distributions
            you have to manually update your wm menus, which is a pain if you have
            several of them installed at the same time and are constantly
            installing new stuff. The problem is that I don't like where things
            are placed in menus by default. There is way do overrides in the menu
            system where you can say "anytime Firfox gets re-installed, put the
            menu item *here*", but the whole system isn't very user friendly yet.

            Finally "update-menus" normally runs automatically after you install
            stuff. A trick is that I think it only updates the "system default"
            menus, and not individual user menus (hidden in each user's home
            directory). Usually if the user hasn't created one, then all will be
            well because the "system default" one will get used. Sometimes I've
            had to symlink a user menu to the system one. Watch for all this if
            your menus stop updating someday.
          • wedgemusic
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2005
              > > 3.) Is it possible to install/use TV RSS
              > > (http://tvtrss.sourceforge.net/)? The website lists the binaries as
              > > i386 so I don't know if it can run or be recompiled to be run on a
              > > PPC
              >
              > I briefly checked it out. The downloads aren't binaries like the
              > description says, but simply "C" source code. So it looks like it
              > could also be recompiled.
              >
              > > Linkstation. I believe with this program I can turn my Linkstation
              > > into a virtual TiVo.
              >
              > I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual". I guess you could have some
              > program that goes out and downloads stuff according so some schedule

              That is my plan, hence a "virtual" TiVo because it's limited to new
              episodes available for download, which is all I want anyway. To be
              honest I think it would be easier to buy a TiVo or TiVo clone than
              build one myself :)
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1, 2005
                <wedgemusic@y...> wrote:

                > > > I believe with this program I can turn my Linkstation into a
                > > > virtual TiVo.
                > >
                > > I'm not sure what you mean by "virtual". I guess you could have
                > > some program that goes out and downloads stuff according so some
                > > schedule
                >
                > That is my plan, hence a "virtual" TiVo because it's limited to new
                > episodes available for download, which is all I want anyway. To be
                > honest I think it would be easier to buy a TiVo or TiVo clone than
                > build one myself :)

                Sounds like yet another interesting use for a hacked LS. Like me
                using mine to rip Internet "radio" streams from places like
                www.shoutcast.com with "streamripper".