What is the best way without Power-On HD to know what CPU is inside? and more..

  • mcadorette2000
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
      The model on the side is: "HD-H250LAN (F)"

      I intend to use it:

      As a Mainly Backup device for all savor of Windows 9x up to XP and
      even 2003 in near future. Also I'd like be able to use the print
      server under Windows with printers that don't need a computer to run
      like old Epson inkjet colors printers and Canon BJ printers or newer
      Highend printer that don't rely on windows OS for running ( It could
      be also Laserjet in PCL not postcript or Okidata led page prt. ) .

      I'd like also to use the second USB port to add 250-300 Gig HD to
      have more storage.

      BTW: Do you have some good back-up software to suggest to me that
      work well. I have already Acronis, some have used it with
      linkstation ?

      I have also see patch for time shifting on the clock, it is a real
      problem for all unit ?

      On the second HD (USB port) it is easy to setup an FTP server ? and
      could you tell me if I can set a password for the FTP server.

      Also since I'm new I've DLD all I can find in firmware, software and
      doc on the web about it, just in case a rage of linux hang me ;-).

      But for now it is more basic operation.

      PS: I will backup 4 computer on my network plus one laptop. I'D like
      to be able to do FULL backup even of the file used by the OS
      (Windows) so the software you will suggest is vey important.

      BTW2: Like to know with which firmware I can loose for sure data.

      LAST ;-) I'd like to know the features good and bad of each firmware
      for the LinkStation (Like an history of the change).

      Thanks to all
      Mike
      Canada
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
        mine is a (F) too and has firmware 2.x which tells you it has a MIPS
        cpu. See the hacking howto for Linkstation II in the Links section it
        also has some details about the hardware

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mcadorette2000"
        <mcadorette2000@y...> wrote:
        > The model on the side is: "HD-H250LAN (F)"
        >
        > I intend to use it:
        >
        > As a Mainly Backup device for all savor of Windows 9x up to XP and
        > even 2003 in near future. Also I'd like be able to use the print
        > server under Windows with printers that don't need a computer to run
        > like old Epson inkjet colors printers and Canon BJ printers or newer
        > Highend printer that don't rely on windows OS for running ( It could
        > be also Laserjet in PCL not postcript or Okidata led page prt. ) .
        >
        > I'd like also to use the second USB port to add 250-300 Gig HD to
        > have more storage.
        >
        > BTW: Do you have some good back-up software to suggest to me that
        > work well. I have already Acronis, some have used it with
        > linkstation ?
        >
        > I have also see patch for time shifting on the clock, it is a real
        > problem for all unit ?
        >
        > On the second HD (USB port) it is easy to setup an FTP server ? and
        > could you tell me if I can set a password for the FTP server.
        >
        > Also since I'm new I've DLD all I can find in firmware, software and
        > doc on the web about it, just in case a rage of linux hang me ;-).
        >
        > But for now it is more basic operation.
        >
        > PS: I will backup 4 computer on my network plus one laptop. I'D like
        > to be able to do FULL backup even of the file used by the OS
        > (Windows) so the software you will suggest is vey important.
        >
        > BTW2: Like to know with which firmware I can loose for sure data.
        >
        > LAST ;-) I'd like to know the features good and bad of each firmware
        > for the LinkStation (Like an history of the change).
        >
        > Thanks to all
        > Mike
        > Canada
      • mcadorette2000
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30, 2005
          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
          > mine is a (F) too and has firmware 2.x which tells you it has a MIPS
          > cpu. See the hacking howto for Linkstation II in the Links section
          it
          > also has some details about the hardware

          At first it seem faster cause of the CPU and I browsed quickly the
          doc from what I understand it have a unix patition with the OS and a
          swap partition and therst is for "our own use" ;-)

          So do you think with this version ( I assume I have 2.x) I will be
          able to do all I want ?

          I have here DLD the 2.04 Firmware do you know if it is good ? or it
          have some better firmware I can downlad ?

          Best Regards
          Mike

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mcadorette2000"
          > <mcadorette2000@y...> wrote:
          > > The model on the side is: "HD-H250LAN (F)"
          > >
          > > I intend to use it:
          > >
          > > As a Mainly Backup device for all savor of Windows 9x up to XP
          and
          > > even 2003 in near future. Also I'd like be able to use the print
          > > server under Windows with printers that don't need a computer to
          run
          > > like old Epson inkjet colors printers and Canon BJ printers or
          newer
          > > Highend printer that don't rely on windows OS for running ( It
          could
          > > be also Laserjet in PCL not postcript or Okidata led page prt. ) .
          > >
          > > I'd like also to use the second USB port to add 250-300 Gig HD to
          > > have more storage.
          > >
          > > BTW: Do you have some good back-up software to suggest to me that
          > > work well. I have already Acronis, some have used it with
          > > linkstation ?
          > >
          > > I have also see patch for time shifting on the clock, it is a
          real
          > > problem for all unit ?
          > >
          > > On the second HD (USB port) it is easy to setup an FTP server ?
          and
          > > could you tell me if I can set a password for the FTP server.
          > >
          > > Also since I'm new I've DLD all I can find in firmware, software
          and
          > > doc on the web about it, just in case a rage of linux hang me ;-).
          > >
          > > But for now it is more basic operation.
          > >
          > > PS: I will backup 4 computer on my network plus one laptop. I'D
          like
          > > to be able to do FULL backup even of the file used by the OS
          > > (Windows) so the software you will suggest is vey important.
          > >
          > > BTW2: Like to know with which firmware I can loose for sure data.
          > >
          > > LAST ;-) I'd like to know the features good and bad of each
          firmware
          > > for the LinkStation (Like an history of the change).
          > >
          > > Thanks to all
          > > Mike
          > > Canada
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2005
            > At first it seem faster cause of the CPU and I browsed quickly the
            > doc from what I understand it have a unix patition with the OS and a
            > swap partition and therst is for "our own use" ;-)

            400MHz doesn't necessarily mean it's faster than a 200MHz CPU ...

            > So do you think with this version ( I assume I have 2.x) I will be
            > able to do all I want ?

            You should be, but it could be difficult to compile programs on your own

            > I have here DLD the 2.04 Firmware do you know if it is good ? or it
            > have some better firmware I can downlad ?

            I have 2.04 and it's working fine. But there's a 2.11 available too

            > Best Regards
            > Mike
            >

            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mcadorette2000"
            > > <mcadorette2000@y...> wrote:
            > > > The model on the side is: "HD-H250LAN (F)"
            > > >
            > > > I intend to use it:
            > > >
            > > > As a Mainly Backup device for all savor of Windows 9x up to XP
            > and
            > > > even 2003 in near future. Also I'd like be able to use the print
            > > > server under Windows with printers that don't need a computer to
            > run
            > > > like old Epson inkjet colors printers and Canon BJ printers or
            > newer
            > > > Highend printer that don't rely on windows OS for running ( It
            > could
            > > > be also Laserjet in PCL not postcript or Okidata led page prt. ) .
            > > >
            > > > I'd like also to use the second USB port to add 250-300 Gig HD to
            > > > have more storage.
            > > >
            > > > BTW: Do you have some good back-up software to suggest to me that
            > > > work well. I have already Acronis, some have used it with
            > > > linkstation ?
            > > >
            > > > I have also see patch for time shifting on the clock, it is a
            > real
            > > > problem for all unit ?
            > > >
            > > > On the second HD (USB port) it is easy to setup an FTP server ?
            > and
            > > > could you tell me if I can set a password for the FTP server.
            > > >
            > > > Also since I'm new I've DLD all I can find in firmware, software
            > and
            > > > doc on the web about it, just in case a rage of linux hang me ;-).
            > > >
            > > > But for now it is more basic operation.
            > > >
            > > > PS: I will backup 4 computer on my network plus one laptop. I'D
            > like
            > > > to be able to do FULL backup even of the file used by the OS
            > > > (Windows) so the software you will suggest is vey important.
            > > >
            > > > BTW2: Like to know with which firmware I can loose for sure data.
            > > >
            > > > LAST ;-) I'd like to know the features good and bad of each
            > firmware
            > > > for the LinkStation (Like an history of the change).
            > > >
            > > > Thanks to all
            > > > Mike
            > > > Canada
          • mcadorette2000
            Message 5 of 16 , May 1, 2005
              > 400MHz doesn't necessarily mean it's faster than a 200MHz CPU ...
              I know it depend also of the kind of CPU/Instructions it take and how
              it process it.

              > > So do you think with this version ( I assume I have 2.x) I will
              be able to do all I want ?

              > You should be, but it could be difficult to compile programs on
              your own

              I don't intend for the moment to use it no more than Backup Unit, Use
              the USB printer port for a printer & the other USB to increase
              storage for storage file and FTP if it work fine.
              > > I have here DLD the 2.04 Firmware do you know if it is good ? or
              it
              > > have some better firmware I can downlad ?
              >
              > I have 2.04 and it's working fine. But there's a 2.11 available too
              What is the differences with 2.11 versus 2.04 ? could you tell me the
              good and bad for the 2.11

              I've googling to find 2.11 and find nothing about it could you help
              me to find it ?

              BTW: When I was googling I found a page in japanese that seem to have
              all the history of the firmware from 2.0 to 2.13a but see nothing
              about 2.11 ?

              I join the url: http://buffalo.melcoinc.co.jp/download/driver/hd/hd-
              lan-ver2a.html

              I wait for your good advise.

              Best Regards
              Mike

            • balimbabullabe
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2005
                > What is the differences with 2.11 versus 2.04 ? could you tell me
                > the good and bad for the 2.11

                I don't know the differences either. I think 2.13 is at present only
                available with japanese texts so you should at most update to 2.11.
                Do you have problems with your current firmware ? Or do you miss a
                feature ? If not you should in my eyes stick with the firmware you have.
              • mcadorette2000
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2005
                  <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
                  > > What is the differences with 2.11 versus 2.04 ? could you tell me
                  > > the good and bad for the 2.11
                  >
                  > I don't know the differences either. I think 2.13 is at present only
                  > available with japanese texts so you should at most update to 2.11.
                  > Do you have problems with your current firmware ?

                  Like I said before I just have the LinkStation II near me unplugged
                  and it will be in function in 2-4 week with the new network. So for
                  the present I don't know if I will have problems. I have read a lot
                  and some firmware seem to add feature and remove others.... It is why
                  before beginning the whole set-up I try to gain all informations I
                  can have to do the thing RIGHT the first time.

                  Or do you miss a
                  > feature ?

                  The same I don't know if I the firmware can do all things I want.

                  >If not you should in my eyes stick with the firmware you have.

                  I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                  firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
                  to find it ?

                  Thanks
                  Mike
                • balimbabullabe
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2005
                    > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                    > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
                    > to find it ?

                    the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                    http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/
                  • meichrie
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                      <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                      > > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                      > > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
                      > > to find it ?
                      >
                      > the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                      > http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/

                      I tried to update my firmware from 2.00 up to 2.05 with the link above
                      with the result that I cannot connect to my LinkStation anymore!

                      Can anybody help me to recover the old (2.00) version or knows a
                      firmwareupdate that works?!?

                      The IP Setup Utility works and I can change the IP but I cannot
                      connect to the webinterface. The IP Setup Utility shows a firmware
                      version "6.00" and a hostname "HD-HDLAN-EM".

                      Would be great if anybody could help me soon!!!

                      Michael
                    • Bertram Dorfler
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2005

                        Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure. I never get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem with the 2.05 firmware; it’s just not flashed correctly…

                        > > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                        > > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being able
                        > > to find it ?
                        >
                        > the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                        > http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/

                        I tried to update my firmware from 2.00 up to 2.05 with the link above
                        with the result that I cannot connect to my LinkStation anymore!

                        Can anybody help me to recover the old (2.00) version or knows a
                        firmwareupdate that works?!?

                        The IP Setup Utility works and I can change the IP but I cannot
                        connect to the webinterface. The IP Setup Utility shows a firmware
                        version "6.00" and a hostname "HD-HDLAN-EM".

                        Would be great if anybody could help me soon!!!

                        Michael

                      • poetting2001
                        Message 11 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                          Hi Folks,

                          as discussed before on this forum it is very important to deactivate
                          any firewall in order to update your Linkstation properly. Don´t
                          panic- a second try with firewall deactivated will fix it. At least it
                          did on mine ;-)
                          Good luck!
                          Andreas
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Bertram Dorfler
                          <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                          > Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure. I
                          never
                          > get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem
                          with the
                          > 2.05 firmware; it's just not flashed correctly.
                          >

                          > _____

                          II ? and
                          > more.
                          >

                          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                          > <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > I understand your point of view, but could you point me to the new
                          > > > firmware 2.11 in english I have googled to find it and not being
                          able
                          > > > to find it ?
                          > >
                          > > the latest I have seen myself is 2.05 at
                          > > http://support.hornington.com/buffalo/
                          >
                          > I tried to update my firmware from 2.00 up to 2.05 with the link above
                          > with the result that I cannot connect to my LinkStation anymore!
                          >
                          > Can anybody help me to recover the old (2.00) version or knows a
                          > firmwareupdate that works?!?
                          >
                          > The IP Setup Utility works and I can change the IP but I cannot
                          > connect to the webinterface. The IP Setup Utility shows a firmware
                          > version "6.00" and a hostname "HD-HDLAN-EM".
                          >
                          > Would be great if anybody could help me soon!!!
                          >
                          > Michael
                          >

                          > _____

                        • meichrie
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                            It finally worked when I started the firmwareupdate from another
                            pc!?!?

                            The only differences (I know) between the two pcs are that one has the
                            SP2 installed and the other not. And what surprise: It worked from the
                            SP2 PC! Was this really the problem? I don't know...

                            So now the version 2.05 is running... and I am happy again ;-)
                          • ilneill
                            Message 13 of 16 , May 10, 2005
                              I have updated my linkstation 2 a couple of times. Both times I only
                              succeeded if my PC and linkstation were connected via a 100M switch.
                              All attempts via my 100M hub failed at various stages due to time-outs.
                              Attempts via the switch worked first time on both occassions.

                              Ian Neill
                            • mocsharp
                              Message 14 of 16 , May 14, 2005
                                Thanks for the tip. I had the same problem before I turn off XP
                                firewall, it failed to flash the firmware and the firmware became
                                version 6.0. However, after turning XP FW off, it flashed
                                successfully.

                                <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                                > Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure.
                                I never
                                > get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem
                                with the
                                > 2.05 firmware; it's just not flashed correctly.
                                >

                                > _____

                                subject=Unsubscribe>

                              • MrChagle
                                Message 15 of 16 , May 14, 2005
                                  I have a Buffalo LinkStation HD-H120LAN

                                  I've been told latest version of FW is 1.45 - Is this true? It's what I have on the unit at the moment. Or is there a later.

                                  Glen

                                  <ernie73@g...> wrote:
                                  > Switch of all possible firewalls and repeat the update procedure.
                                  I never
                                  > get an update done the first time. It is (probably) not a problem
                                  with the
                                  > 2.05 firmware; it's just not flashed correctly.
                                  >

                                  >   _____

                                  subject=Unsubscribe>

                                  > *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo!

                                • mcadorette2000
                                  Message 16 of 16 , May 15, 2005
                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, MrChagle <mrchagle@g...>
                                    wrote:
                                    > I have a Buffalo LinkStation HD-H120LAN
                                    >
                                    > I've been told latest version of FW is 1.45 - Is this true? It's what
                                    I have
                                    > on the unit at the moment. Or is there a later.
                                    >
                                    > Glen

                                    For LinkStation II

                                    The latest in English is 2.05 and there is higher version in other
                                    language.... 2.13a japanese

                                    Regards