Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Debian on Linkstation: fdisk renamed to ddisk

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2005
      From: "James Stewart" <wartstew@...>
      To: <LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com>

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
      > <jronald@c...> wrote:
      >
      >> This is the really the first time I've spent much time playing
      >> around with webmin. It's a little slow but it does look
      >> promising. I have not done too much with it except to view logs,
      >> view samba configuration, hardware and such. So far all of the
      >> configuration I have done has been from the command line.
      >
      > I think the hope is that for people less Linux savvy, webmin might
      > be a more capable replacement for the web interface of the original
      > LS OS. Maybe once a configuration that seems to work for the LS is
      > figured out, then those file(s) could be simply copied over after
      > the default installation is done with help from simple instructions
      > so that most people out there could do it?
      >
      > As far as Samba configureation is concerned, have you ever run swat?
      > It is very good in my opinion except there are actually too many
      > options even in the "basic" mode. A swat setup-for-the-Linkstation
      > instruction page is probably a good future project.

      Yes, I've used SWAT. It seems that the Webmin SAMBA module can do everything
      SWAT can do. Additionally modules for the most popular software and
      functions are available and development seems to be very active. SWAT does
      SAMBA well enough but Webmin is a more useful tool over all IMO.

      >> I did manage to get the Webmin upgrade that I installed via Webmin
      >> instead of aptitude removed and reinstalled via aptitude.
      >
      > I forgot, what version of Debian are you running now (Woody, Sarge,
      > Sid)? I was wondering so I can be thinking of the vintage of all
      > this software you are running is.

      I'm running SID (Unstable) which seems to be stable for me. In fact for
      Webmin it seems to be lagging a bit.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2005
        <jronald@c...> wrote:

        > Yes, I've used SWAT. It seems that the Webmin SAMBA module can do
        > everything SWAT can do. Additionally modules for the most popular
        > software and functions are available and development seems to be
        > very active. SWAT does SAMBA well enough but Webmin is a more
        > useful tool over all IMO.

        Ah, this is just the kind of information I (and probably others too)
        were looking for. Thanks.

        > I'm running SID (Unstable) which seems to be stable for me. In fact
        > for Webmin it seems to be lagging a bit.

        Probably once Debian releases Sarge, (I've heard rumors of "by June"),
        then they can get Sid caught up a little bit. There always is a
        little delay with new stuff because there seems to be an honest
        attempt to make sure things work and integrate well into Sid before
        they put it in.