why cant mt-daapd be done on a mac (PPC) instead on the linkstation?

  • whodiini3
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 27, 2005
      All the instructions for installing mt-daapd and other files
      instructions are to copy a bunch of files to the linkstation, make and
      compile...... If I have a mac, PPC based, couldnt I run the same
      code, but a whole lot faster and also keep fewer files on the linkstation?

      If so, has any one done this and have modified instructions?

      THX
    • Steve Lemke
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28, 2005
        Recently, whodiini3 wrote:
        > All the instructions for installing mt-daapd and other files
        > instructions are to copy a bunch of files to the linkstation, make and
        > compile...... If I have a mac, PPC based, couldnt I run the same
        > code, but a whole lot faster and also keep fewer files on the
        > linkstation?

        If you want to leave a Mac turned on all the time to serve your music
        to other daap clients, why not just leave iTunes running with sharing
        enabled?

        The whole point of having mt-daapd running on a LinkStation, NSLU2,
        etc., at least from my perspective, is to be able to run it on a small
        NAS that is quieter and draws far less power than leaving my desktop
        computer on all the time. In fact, being able to run mt-daapd is the
        primary reason I bought my LinkStation.
        --Steve
      • whodiini3
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 28, 2005
          No, that wasnt my question. Let me try to be more clear. I want to
          run mt-daapd on my linkstation. As part of the instructions, you
          need to port all these files to the linkstation, build,
          compile,...etc... My question is can one do the build, compile on
          your Mac and after that is done, only port the resulting key files
          to the linkstation?

          Maybe my question doesnt make sense because of my ignorance; if it
          doesnt, and I am ignorant, would like to know that too.

          THX

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Steve Lemke <steve@l...>
          wrote:
          > Recently, whodiini3 wrote:
          > > All the instructions for installing mt-daapd and other files
          > > instructions are to copy a bunch of files to the linkstation,
          make and
          > > compile...... If I have a mac, PPC based, couldnt I run the
          same
          > > code, but a whole lot faster and also keep fewer files on the
          > > linkstation?
          >
          > If you want to leave a Mac turned on all the time to serve your
          music
          > to other daap clients, why not just leave iTunes running with
          sharing
          > enabled?
          >
          > The whole point of having mt-daapd running on a LinkStation,
          NSLU2,
          > etc., at least from my perspective, is to be able to run it on a
          small
          > NAS that is quieter and draws far less power than leaving my
          desktop
          > computer on all the time. In fact, being able to run mt-daapd is
          the
          > primary reason I bought my LinkStation.
          > --Steve
        • Thom Mason
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 28, 2005
            In principle you can setup a crostool so you can build for the
            Linkstation on a mac (or even linux PC but that is hareder). This is
            non-trivial but can be done. If you covert your Linkstation to a Kuro
            and install Gentoo then you can even setup that compiles are done on a
            bunch of different machines on your network, again not trivial to
            setup but can be done using distcc
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"