Debian on Linkstation: fdisk renamed to ddisk

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26 8:22 PM
      After a little digging around looking for the fdisk utility I found that it had been renamed to ddisk.  For now I created a symlink for fdisk because the Webmin storage modules require the fdisk utility be named fdisk.  Is this a debian-ism?  Does anyone know why fdisk was renamed to ddisk?

      Thanks!!  JR

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26 10:26 PM
        <jronald@c...> wrote:
        > After a little digging around looking for the fdisk utility I
        found that it had been renamed to ddisk. For now I created a
        symlink for fdisk because the Webmin storage modules require the
        fdisk utility be named fdisk. Is this a debian-ism? Does anyone
        know why fdisk was renamed to ddisk?

        > Thanks!! JR

        It's not a Debian-ism, I think it is a PPC-platform-ism. All my x86
        based Debian systems have fdisk no problem. It looks like it might
        be renamed to make room for the MacIntosh version of fdisk (writes
        Mac style partition tables) that probably has the same name (package
        name is mac-fdisk).

        How are you liking "webmin" so far? I've never used it.
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 27 2:07 PM
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
          > <jronald@c...> wrote:
          >> After a little digging around looking for the fdisk utility I
          > found that it had been renamed to ddisk. For now I created a
          > symlink for fdisk because the Webmin storage modules require the
          > fdisk utility be named fdisk. Is this a debian-ism? Does anyone
          > know why fdisk was renamed to ddisk?
          >>
          >> Thanks!! JR
          >
          > It's not a Debian-ism, I think it is a PPC-platform-ism. All my x86
          > based Debian systems have fdisk no problem. It looks like it might
          > be renamed to make room for the MacIntosh version of fdisk (writes
          > Mac style partition tables) that probably has the same name (package
          > name is mac-fdisk).
          >
          > How are you liking "webmin" so far? I've never used it.

          This is the really the first time I've spent much time playing around with
          webmin. It's a little slow but it does look promising. I have not done too
          much with it except to view logs, view samba configuration, hardware and
          such. So far all of the configuration I have done has been from the command
          line. I did manage to get the Webmin upgrade that I installed via Webmin
          instead of aptitude removed and reinstalled via aptitude.

          JR
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 27 8:32 PM
            <jronald@c...> wrote:

            > This is the really the first time I've spent much time playing
            > around with webmin. It's a little slow but it does look
            > promising. I have not done too much with it except to view logs,
            > view samba configuration, hardware and such. So far all of the
            > configuration I have done has been from the command line.

            I think the hope is that for people less Linux savvy, webmin might
            be a more capable replacement for the web interface of the original
            LS OS. Maybe once a configuration that seems to work for the LS is
            figured out, then those file(s) could be simply copied over after
            the default installation is done with help from simple instructions
            so that most people out there could do it?

            As far as Samba configureation is concerned, have you ever run swat?
            It is very good in my opinion except there are actually too many
            options even in the "basic" mode. A swat setup-for-the-Linkstation
            instruction page is probably a good future project.

            > I did manage to get the Webmin upgrade that I installed via Webmin
            > instead of aptitude removed and reinstalled via aptitude.

            I forgot, what version of Debian are you running now (Woody, Sarge,
            Sid)? I was wondering so I can be thinking of the vintage of all
            this software you are running is.
          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 28 9:13 AM
              From: "James Stewart" <wartstew@...>
              To: <LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com>

              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
              > <jronald@c...> wrote:
              >
              >> This is the really the first time I've spent much time playing
              >> around with webmin. It's a little slow but it does look
              >> promising. I have not done too much with it except to view logs,
              >> view samba configuration, hardware and such. So far all of the
              >> configuration I have done has been from the command line.
              >
              > I think the hope is that for people less Linux savvy, webmin might
              > be a more capable replacement for the web interface of the original
              > LS OS. Maybe once a configuration that seems to work for the LS is
              > figured out, then those file(s) could be simply copied over after
              > the default installation is done with help from simple instructions
              > so that most people out there could do it?
              >
              > As far as Samba configureation is concerned, have you ever run swat?
              > It is very good in my opinion except there are actually too many
              > options even in the "basic" mode. A swat setup-for-the-Linkstation
              > instruction page is probably a good future project.

              Yes, I've used SWAT. It seems that the Webmin SAMBA module can do everything
              SWAT can do. Additionally modules for the most popular software and
              functions are available and development seems to be very active. SWAT does
              SAMBA well enough but Webmin is a more useful tool over all IMO.

              >> I did manage to get the Webmin upgrade that I installed via Webmin
              >> instead of aptitude removed and reinstalled via aptitude.
              >
              > I forgot, what version of Debian are you running now (Woody, Sarge,
              > Sid)? I was wondering so I can be thinking of the vintage of all
              > this software you are running is.

              I'm running SID (Unstable) which seems to be stable for me. In fact for
              Webmin it seems to be lagging a bit.
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 28 10:38 AM
                <jronald@c...> wrote:

                > Yes, I've used SWAT. It seems that the Webmin SAMBA module can do
                > everything SWAT can do. Additionally modules for the most popular
                > software and functions are available and development seems to be
                > very active. SWAT does SAMBA well enough but Webmin is a more
                > useful tool over all IMO.

                Ah, this is just the kind of information I (and probably others too)
                were looking for. Thanks.

                > I'm running SID (Unstable) which seems to be stable for me. In fact
                > for Webmin it seems to be lagging a bit.

                Probably once Debian releases Sarge, (I've heard rumors of "by June"),
                then they can get Sid caught up a little bit. There always is a
                little delay with new stuff because there seems to be an honest
                attempt to make sure things work and integrate well into Sid before
                they put it in.