Is it worth all the effort !!!

  • douglas_shand
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
      Hi Folks,

      I am currently very p1$$3d off. I bought the Linkstation 250GB and
      thought all I had to do was plug it into my network (mac only) and
      copy over my MP3's and other files and hey presto etc.. etc...

      Now I find out after purchase (my fault for bad research or Buffalo's
      fault for not telling the whole truth...) that the O/S can't handle
      long file names in a way that is similar to OSX.

      Is it worth all of the hassle of installing the Netatalk upgrade or
      Buffalo likely to release an upgrade soon ?

      I am so disillusioned with tech products......
    • Marc Bizer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
        On 4/26/05 at 12:20 PM +0000, douglas_shand wrote:
        >Now I find out after purchase (my fault for bad research or
        >Buffalo's fault for not telling the whole truth...) that the O/S
        >can't handle long file names in a way that is similar to OSX.
        >
        >Is it worth all of the hassle of installing the Netatalk upgrade or
        >Buffalo likely to release an upgrade soon ?

        You can update the Netatalk, or you can mount a volume using the
        built-in smb, which supports long file names.

        --Marc
      • douglas_shand
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Marc Bizer <mbizer@m...>
          wrote:
          > On 4/26/05 at 12:20 PM +0000, douglas_shand wrote:
          > >Now I find out after purchase (my fault for bad research or
          > >Buffalo's fault for not telling the whole truth...) that the O/S
          > >can't handle long file names in a way that is similar to OSX.
          > >
          > >Is it worth all of the hassle of installing the Netatalk upgrade or
          > >Buffalo likely to release an upgrade soon ?
          >
          > You can update the Netatalk, or you can mount a volume using the
          > built-in smb, which supports long file names.
          >
          > --Marc

          I tried this and the SMB connection seemed a little flaky.

          It is also very, very slow.

          Also does using SMB mean that there are some filename characters that
          cannot be used which could be used in OSX ?
        • Marc Bizer
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
            On 4/26/05 at 12:37 PM +0000, douglas_shand wrote:
            >Also does using SMB mean that there are some filename characters that
            >cannot be used which could be used in OSX ?

            Yes :-(

            --Marc
          • douglas_shand
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
              wrote:
              > On 4/26/05 at 12:37 PM +0000, douglas_shand wrote:
              > >Also does using SMB mean that there are some filename characters that
              > >cannot be used which could be used in OSX ?
              >
              > Yes :-(
              >
              > --Marc

              So either way I have to rename files ?

              What about throughput ? It does seem very very slow.....
            • Marc Bizer
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 26, 2005
                On 4/26/05 at 12:48 PM +0000, douglas_shand wrote:
                >So either way I have to rename files ?
                >

                >What about throughput ? It does seem very very slow.....

                You don't have to rename files with Netatalk 2, and throughput seems
                fine. But the update isn't foolproof.

                --Marc