Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: is there a Install & Config guide for fluxbox or icewm ?

  • Ross Burton
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 25, 2005
      On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 00:49 +0000, James Stewart wrote:
      > No, I'm sure that isn't common knowledge anymore (the client/server
      > design of X). Actually I'll have to look into X from cygwin (thanks
      > for the tip) because it has been a few years since I've played with
      > remoting X and at that time the best I could find were a couple of
      > "begger-ware" Windows versions.
      >
      > VNC (free edition) is also free, but that version isn't secure. You
      > can fix that by then running it through a ssh tunnel as well. VNC
      > also features packet compression for low-bandwidth connections, and I
      > find the whole thing very easy to set up and use. The viewer programs
      > are simple small-ish single-file binaries that don't need to be
      > "installed" on the host computers, just click-and-run.

      If you use SSH to tunnel from the LinkServer to your desktop, then you
      can turn on protocol compression (-c). As different data flies across
      the network a X-over-SSH session can be quite low bandwidth.

      The main advantage to remote X compared to remote VNC is that with
      remote X you can run single applications on your desktop, with VNC you
      export an entire desktop, which needs more setting up and doesn't
      integrate as easily.

      However I've not tried Cygwin/X for a long time, so I hope it still
      works. :) Or try WeirdX (http://www.jcraft.com/weirdx/index.html), a
      free Java X server which will probably be good enough for a
      configuration tool.

      Ross
      --
      Ross Burton mail: ross@...