open new linkstation without any traces - possible?

  • thekugelblitz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2005
      bought my linkstation few days ago - nice thing!

      BUT: firmware is v2.0, so i don´t have the possibility for access via
      telnet.

      i think the only way to custimize the box is to boot the hd in a pc
      (please correct me, if i´m wrong)... so i have to dissassemble it.

      but i don´t want to loose my warranty - is there a way to disassemble
      the linkstation traceless?

      thanks
      kb
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25, 2005
        give the hacking howto in the links section a try.
        But I think someone at Buffalo who really is investigative will always
        find out that you opened the box. But not at first sight ... ;-)

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "thekugelblitz"
        <Kugelblitz@g...> wrote:

        > bought my linkstation few days ago - nice thing!
        >
        > BUT: firmware is v2.0, so i don´t have the possibility for access via
        > telnet.
        >
        > i think the only way to custimize the box is to boot the hd in a pc
        > (please correct me, if i´m wrong)... so i have to dissassemble it.
        >
        > but i don´t want to loose my warranty - is there a way to disassemble
        > the linkstation traceless?
        >
        > thanks
        > kb
      • edgranville
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 26, 2005
          <Kugelblitz@g...> wrote:

          > bought my linkstation few days ago - nice thing!
          >
          > BUT: firmware is v2.0, so i don´t have the possibility for access
          via
          > telnet.
          >
          > i think the only way to custimize the box is to boot the hd in a
          pc
          > (please correct me, if i´m wrong)... so i have to dissassemble it.
          >
          > but i don´t want to loose my warranty - is there a way to
          disassemble
          > the linkstation traceless?
          >
          > thanks
          > kb

          I managed to get into mine in a very clean fashion. The only issue
          with the how-to guide in the links section is it recommends just
          shredding the thread on the tiny screws that retain the front facia.
          You can actually get these screws by removing the metallic looking
          strip on the facia. This is clear plastic. It is stuck onto the
          facia using double sided sticky tape (yeah, yeah, very Blue Peter) -
          which is how they create that mirrored finish. Just make sure that
          when you try to prise off the plastic strip that the tape comes away
          with the strip. If you don't the finish will never be the same
          again. The facia retaining screws are then accessible. The tape
          retained its tackiness sufficiently well to bond the strip back
          again when I was finished although I didn't replace the screws
          because I figured I'd be in and out of the case more than once.

          I've done this with mine and it looks untouched (except for where I
          burred the screws using a badly fitting screwdriver).

          As ever though, if you want in you can never be sure not to void the
          warranty.

          Regards,

          Ed
        • Paul Milligan
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2005

            I used a very flexible kitchen-knife my wife uses to fillet fish to remove the fascia, take your time and do it gently, Otherwise there is a danger you will kink it.

            The grub screws are tiny; you’ll need a jeweller’s screwdriver to take them out cleanly.