Re: Finally, Debian install instructions

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 23, 2005
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "kinsnet" <kinsnet@y...>
      wrote:

      > I guess what I'm missing is the Samba,

      apt-get install samba swat

      I can't remember, but then I think you have to uncomment the swat line
      in /etc/inetd.conf then restart inetd.conf (/etc/init.d/inetd restart)

      Just bring up http://<linkstation-IP>:901 in a web browser and have fun!

      > webmin

      Pick it and the modules for the systems you want to control out of
      aptitude.

      > and the DHCP part...

      Here is the one I haven't figured out. It seems to me that you didn't
      used to need port filtering turned on in the kernel to run the DHCP
      client. Maybe the is an option to run it without in the config of the
      client. There are also several other DHCP clients to choose from.

      > Samba is probably the most important one as I use the box for
      > backup.

      Notice that there are several network backup packages in the
      repository, some are very fancy/sophisticated (and hard to learn).

      > (I forgot that swat is the admin tool for Samba!) I'll give it a
      > go and see how it all works out.

      It's the way to do Samba IMHO.

      > Webmin would be good to replace the lost functionality of the web
      > interface, but I'm not really sure what I need it for right now as I
      > do most Debian changes from the command line anyway. Maybe just
      > good for Debian newbies. I usually forget the damn port for webmin
      > after I install it anyway ;)

      Maybe you and James Ronald can report back to us how Webmin works out.
      I never messed around with it myself. My idea of GUI based
      administration was the remote x-desktop via VNC I got running. It's NICE!

      > I think I'll leave the box as static, don't want it to become a
      > brick.

      I think there is a way to have it default to a static IP if a DHCP
      server fails. It would be a nice feature.

      > One thing I forgot to mention, that I would like to do is the
      > ability to have the hard drive spin down. Looking through some
      > Debian stuff, it looks a little tricky too. I worry about the drive
      > spinning in there all day.

      apt-get install noflushd

      and it will spin down promptly! A little too promptly for me, So no I
      need to learn how to configure it a little. The package
      "laptop-mode-tools" will probably work too (works great on my laptop),
      but I think it tries to do more than just spin down the hard drive.

      > I agree that everyone will have different needs for their
      > Linkstations

      That is what is so great about putting something like Debian on it
      with over 16,000 packages, everyone should be able to easily customize
      their Linkstations to their own needs.

      > and would be best not to clutter your document with all the extra
      > stuff.

      That is why I made a separate directory in this group for
      Debian-on-Linkstation related stuff. Please write about how you are
      using your linkstation and put it in there! Other's are afraid too,
      and would like to see some success stories as well as some application
      ideas.

      > The dist-upgrade was pretty clear to me. I think my box is a sid
      > distribution now after changing my sources and doing apt-get
      > dist-upgrade.

      Yea, that whole process is usually too uneventful considering you just
      completely replaced your OS! I'm quickly convinced once I start
      smoothly installing software that doesn't exist in Woody. Woody's
      repository is much smaller. When a Debian "testing" gets ready to go
      "stable" Debian issues a critical bug report and then an ultimatum to
      software maintainers to fix these bugs or your software will get axed
      from "stable". Then they follow through with the threat.

      Oh yea, all those downloaded updates pile up in
      /etc/cache/apt/archives. If you want to get rid of them, do an
      "apt-get clean"

      PS: If someone would like to put some of my ramblings into organized
      docs, it would sure be appreciated.