Twonky server 2.71 hogs 100% CPU + FansSpeed web settings

  • Frenchy
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 20, 2005
      CAUTION!!!!
      For you fans out there how run the Twonky server, make sure your LS
      is properly cooled (set the internal fan speed to run on high)
      because there is a bug that causes the CPU to max out.

      The server works okay but hours after hours this can't be good for
      our fileserver /hardisk + motherboard

      Type: "top" at the telnet prompt to see what the MediasServer 2.7.1
      is doing to your CPU!
      I have loged a bug already at www.Twonkymedia.de
      LS CANDY:
      If you would like to set the LS fan speed there is a nice but hidden
      option on the Maintenance web page that let's you set it.
      Basically you have to trace the files ./includes to get to the Melco
      file where most options are enabled/disabled.

      I mention this tweak because my 3rd LS already developed the
      unmistakeable sound of a busted fan.
      In normal condition it is well worth setting the fan on low speed
      (keep an eye on CPU hogs as well) if not your fan won't outlive your
      disk
    • born_daniel
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 20, 2005
        Frenchy,

        I'm sure Twonkyvision isn't any worse than Slimserver! ;-)

        I've enabled that hidden fan setting myself but it only seems to
        allow setting between "normal" (which it is already set at) or "low
        speed". I don't see any "high speed" setting!?

        Daniel

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
        <glasseron@y...> wrote:

        > CAUTION!!!!
        > For you fans out there how run the Twonky server, make sure your LS
        > is properly cooled (set the internal fan speed to run on high)
        > because there is a bug that causes the CPU to max out.
        >
        > The server works okay but hours after hours this can't be good for
        > our fileserver /hardisk + motherboard
        >
        > Type: "top" at the telnet prompt to see what the MediasServer 2.7.1
        > is doing to your CPU!
        > I have loged a bug already at www.Twonkymedia.de
        > LS CANDY:
        > If you would like to set the LS fan speed there is a nice but
        hidden
        > option on the Maintenance web page that let's you set it.
        > Basically you have to trace the files ./includes to get to the
        Melco
        > file where most options are enabled/disabled.
        >
        > I mention this tweak because my 3rd LS already developed the
        > unmistakeable sound of a busted fan.
        > In normal condition it is well worth setting the fan on low speed
        > (keep an eye on CPU hogs as well) if not your fan won't outlive
        your
        > disk
      • pcplob
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 20, 2005
          Hi Frenchy,

          I think some others ran into this - it seemed to be caused by the odd
          file/playlist that twonky disliked - take a look at this thread over
          on media-servers:

          http://www.media-servers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=725

          I rarely see total CPU use over a few percent & thats running the
          current twonky & a wizd daemon to serve video at the same time.

          Is that fan a fairly standard (and replacable) item (I've not actually
          had the need to dissemble my box yet...)?

          ~Plob~
        • Frenchy
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 20, 2005
            That is exactly right: there are some issues with Playlist that caused
            the CPU to go into a 100%useage loop.

            To troubleshoot your installation:
            - see if your cpu runs high: "top"
            - Kill the server deamon and start it like so:
            "mediaserver -v 128 > Error_List.log"
            Go through the log to help you locate your bad playlists.

            Once my CPU was back to normal (98% idle), Samba became more
            responsive during large directory browsing!

            I have loged a bug for TServer deals with errors conditions more
            appropriately (like try to locate lost files twice and abort...)

            About the LS fan , they must cheap but good luck finding one for
            replacement. The best thing would be to get fans with ball bearing
            just like the ones for CPU cooling. The LS fan runs at much slower RPM
            than a CPU fans ...

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "pcplob" <pcplob@y...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Frenchy,
            >
            > I think some others ran into this - it seemed to be caused by the odd
            > file/playlist that twonky disliked - take a look at this thread over
            > on media-servers:
            >
            > http://www.media-servers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=725
            >
            > I rarely see total CPU use over a few percent & thats running the
            > current twonky & a wizd daemon to serve video at the same time.
            >
            > Is that fan a fairly standard (and replacable) item (I've not
            actually
            > had the need to dissemble my box yet...)?
            >
            > ~Plob~
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 21, 2005
              which adress do i have to navigate to see this options?

              or how do i activate it?

              regards
              mindbender

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
              <born_daniel@y...> wrote:

              > Frenchy,
              >
              > I'm sure Twonkyvision isn't any worse than Slimserver! ;-)
              >
              > I've enabled that hidden fan setting myself but it only seems to
              > allow setting between "normal" (which it is already set at) or "low
              > speed". I don't see any "high speed" setting!?
              >
              > Daniel
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
              > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > CAUTION!!!!
              > > For you fans out there how run the Twonky server, make sure your LS
              > > is properly cooled (set the internal fan speed to run on high)
              > > because there is a bug that causes the CPU to max out.
              > >
              > > The server works okay but hours after hours this can't be good for
              > > our fileserver /hardisk + motherboard
              > >
              > > Type: "top" at the telnet prompt to see what the MediasServer 2.7.1
              > > is doing to your CPU!
              > > I have loged a bug already at www.Twonkymedia.de
              > > LS CANDY:
              > > If you would like to set the LS fan speed there is a nice but
              > hidden
              > > option on the Maintenance web page that let's you set it.
              > > Basically you have to trace the files ./includes to get to the
              > Melco
              > > file where most options are enabled/disabled.
              > >
              > > I mention this tweak because my 3rd LS already developed the
              > > unmistakeable sound of a busted fan.
              > > In normal condition it is well worth setting the fan on low speed
              > > (keep an eye on CPU hogs as well) if not your fan won't outlive
              > your
              > > disk
            • Frenchy
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 21, 2005
                It may or may not be trivial to access the web page for fan
                settings. Try to plug this link in your browser:

                http://YOUR_LS_IP_ADDRESS/cgi-bin/setup-fan.cgi

                If it the page does not open then your in for a journey...
                You have to set a variable in a melco ./include file so the option
                will show up when you pull up the Maintenance page.

                How ...
                - dig in the Maintenance page and go through the ./include files to
                find the option that enables the fan option.
                - Set the fan option to enable
                - save
                - reopen the maintenance page.

                While you there you will see that you can turn off the PCAST web
                page option or better yet, you may decide to high-jack the PCAST
                hook and create your own web page right there.
                Sam.

                <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:

                > which adress do i have to navigate to see this options?
                >
                > or how do i activate it?
                >
                > regards
                > mindbender
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Frenchy,
                > >
                > > I'm sure Twonkyvision isn't any worse than Slimserver! ;-)
                > >
                > > I've enabled that hidden fan setting myself but it only seems to
                > > allow setting between "normal" (which it is already set at)
                or "low
                > > speed". I don't see any "high speed" setting!?
                > >
                > > Daniel
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "
                > > <glasseron@y...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > CAUTION!!!!
                > > > For you fans out there how run the Twonky server, make sure
                your LS
                > > > is properly cooled (set the internal fan speed to run on high)
                > > > because there is a bug that causes the CPU to max out.
                > > >
                > > > The server works okay but hours after hours this can't be good
                for
                > > > our fileserver /hardisk + motherboard
                > > >
                > > > Type: "top" at the telnet prompt to see what the MediasServer
                2.7.1
                > > > is doing to your CPU!
                > > > I have loged a bug already at www.Twonkymedia.de
                > > > ========================================================
                > > > LS CANDY:
                > > > If you would like to set the LS fan speed there is a nice but
                > > hidden
                > > > option on the Maintenance web page that let's you set it.
                > > > Basically you have to trace the files ./includes to get to the
                > > Melco
                > > > file where most options are enabled/disabled.
                > > >
                > > > I mention this tweak because my 3rd LS already developed the
                > > > unmistakeable sound of a busted fan.
                > > > In normal condition it is well worth setting the fan on low
                speed
                > > > (keep an eye on CPU hogs as well) if not your fan won't
                outlive
                > > your
                > > > disk
                > > > ========================================================
              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 22, 2005
                  thanks.....found everything....

                  but i havent recognized a difference of the noise between slow and
                  normal speed....the usb-drive next to my Linkstation is much louder ;)

                  regards
                  mindbender

                  <glasseron@y...> wrote:

                  > It may or may not be trivial to access the web page for fan
                  > settings. Try to plug this link in your browser:
                  >
                  > http://YOUR_LS_IP_ADDRESS/cgi-bin/setup-fan.cgi
                  >
                  > If it the page does not open then your in for a journey...
                  > You have to set a variable in a melco ./include file so the option
                  > will show up when you pull up the Maintenance page.
                  >
                  > How ...
                  > - dig in the Maintenance page and go through the ./include files to
                  > find the option that enables the fan option.
                  > - Set the fan option to enable
                  > - save
                  > - reopen the maintenance page.
                  >
                  > While you there you will see that you can turn off the PCAST web
                  > page option or better yet, you may decide to high-jack the PCAST
                  > hook and create your own web page right there.
                  > Sam.
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
                  > <cherrytreeproduction@y...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > which adress do i have to navigate to see this options?
                  > >
                  > > or how do i activate it?
                  > >
                  > > regards
                  > > mindbender
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"
                  > > <born_daniel@y...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Frenchy,
                  > > >
                  > > > I'm sure Twonkyvision isn't any worse than Slimserver! ;-)
                  > > >
                  > > > I've enabled that hidden fan setting myself but it only seems to
                  > > > allow setting between "normal" (which it is already set at)
                  > or "low
                  > > > speed". I don't see any "high speed" setting!?
                  > > >
                  > > > Daniel
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Frenchy "

                  > your LS

                  > for

                  > 2.7.1
                  > > > hidden
                  > > > Melco

                  > speed
                  > outlive
                  > > > your
                • balimbabullabe
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 22, 2005
                    Do you have telnet access to the Linkstation ?

                    If yes try

                    echo -n "\\\\" > /dev/ttyS1

                    (on a linkstation with firmware >= 2.x give /dev/ttyS0

                    On my Linkstation this command makes a biiiiig difference !