rsync binaries anyone / SSH without password as root INTO LinkStation?

  • s_herzog30
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
      Hello, together,

      I must simply tell you: THIS GROUP ROCKS!

      I finally set up my Linkstation with ssh and nfs just to my liking and
      I am now looking for what I may need more:

      I found a HowTo about rsync in the files section, but I cannot get
      this f*cking shit to compile. Compiler is set up correctly but spits
      out "cannot find 32 Bit integer" when trying to compile 2.6.4, 2.6.3
      fails on another weird message, google found no really working
      solution, so I try this as my last chance:

      - Does anyone have a working rsync binary?

      - Does anyone have been able to set up ssh for no-password login INTO
      the LinkStation? OpenSSH seems not to use /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
      folder :-/
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
        > I found a HowTo about rsync in the files section, but I cannot get
        > this f*cking shit to compile.

        Perhaps it will help if you try to compile code and not excrements
        which are having sex ...
      • s_herzog30
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

          > > I found a HowTo about rsync in the files section, but I cannot get
          > > this f*cking shit to compile.
          >
          > Perhaps it will help if you try to compile code and not excrements
          > which are having sex ...

          I agree, this could be a start ;-)

          Sorry for that bad verbalism but I was really angry with my little
          white box for the last 2 hours :-/
        • Jonathan Schott
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 18, 2005
            s_herzog30 schrieb:

            > - Does anyone have a working rsync binary?

            Hi!

            I have version 2.5.5 right here for download:

            http://ls.jcedata.net/rsync

            I've taken it from the stable Debian PPC Distribution and it works fine
            out of the box.

            Good luck,
            Jonathan
          • haberschnasel
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 19, 2005
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
              <jonathan@s...> wrote:
              > s_herzog30 schrieb:
              > >
              > > - Does anyone have a working rsync binary?
              >
              > Hi!
              >
              > I have version 2.5.5 right here for download:
              >
              > http://ls.jcedata.net/rsync
              >
              > I've taken it from the stable Debian PPC Distribution and it works
              fine
              > out of the box.

              These binaries have worked fine an my LS as well (fw 1.45_13), thanks
              Jonathan! I run a very useful backup script every morning (after LS
              auto-wakeup) that takes 5 min. and not 3 hours as the built-in backup
              function and it keeps earlier versions of files (my main reason to
              hack was the rsync backup...).

              SSH is still a problem to me, since the Kuro binaries install fine
              but have an unresolved security issues (see my post no. 1916 here).
              For the german users here, please read what heise.de said about this
              and other vulnerable SSH versions:
              http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/40331

              If you expose this SSH installation to the internet, others may get
              root access quite easily!!
              Is there anybody running a SSH >=3.7 on a more or less original
              LS? s_herzog, which version of SSH do you run?

              I would be very happy to hear about solutions that are secure but work
              as easily as the rsync binaries. Any help still appreciated!
            • s_herzog30
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 19, 2005
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                <haberschnasel@y...> wrote:

                > SSH is still a problem to me, since the Kuro binaries install fine
                > but have an unresolved security issues (see my post no. 1916 here).
                > For the german users here, please read what heise.de said about this
                > and other vulnerable SSH versions:
                > http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/40331
                >
                > If you expose this SSH installation to the internet, others may get
                > root access quite easily!!
                > Is there anybody running a SSH >=3.7 on a more or less original
                > LS? s_herzog, which version of SSH do you run?
                >
                > I would be very happy to hear about solutions that are secure but work
                > as easily as the rsync binaries. Any help still appreciated!

                Na, running Kurobox binaries, too :-(

                _Maybe_ we could use the newest Debian Woody SSH? The usually backport
                fixes to Woody? Though I don't know what Dependencies have to be met
                for SSH :-/
              • infobupkis
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
                  <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                  > <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                  > > s_herzog30 schrieb:
                  > > >
                  > > > - Does anyone have a working rsync binary?
                  > >
                  > > Hi!
                  > >
                  > > I have version 2.5.5 right here for download:
                  > >
                  > > http://ls.jcedata.net/rsync
                  > >
                  > > I've taken it from the stable Debian PPC Distribution and it works
                  > fine
                  > > out of the box.
                  >
                  > These binaries have worked fine an my LS as well (fw 1.45_13), thanks
                  > Jonathan! I run a very useful backup script every morning (after LS
                  > auto-wakeup) that takes 5 min. and not 3 hours as the built-in backup
                  > function and it keeps earlier versions of files (my main reason to
                  > hack was the rsync backup...).

                  N00B question: What's the best location for the rsync binary in the
                  LS filesystem?
                • cherrytreeproduction
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 3, 2006
                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "infobupkis" <public@...>
                    wrote:

                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
                    > <haberschnasel@> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                    > > <jonathan@s...> wrote:

                    > > > Hi!
                    > > >
                    > > > I have version 2.5.5 right here for download:
                    > > >
                    > > > http://ls.jcedata.net/rsync
                    > > >
                    > > > I've taken it from the stable Debian PPC Distribution and it works
                    > > fine
                    > > > out of the box.
                    > >
                    > > These binaries have worked fine an my LS as well (fw 1.45_13), thanks
                    > > Jonathan! I run a very useful backup script every morning (after LS
                    > > auto-wakeup) that takes 5 min. and not 3 hours as the built-in backup
                    > > function and it keeps earlier versions of files (my main reason to
                    > > hack was the rsync backup...).
                    >
                    > N00B question: What's the best location for the rsync binary in the
                    > LS filesystem?

                    if you want to be able to use it with any user you created (and not
                    only root) then put it to /bin or /usr/bin