Re: Problem Replacing the HD

  • jpneflim
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
      I didnt do any partitioning. I took the new drive out of the box put
      it in the Linkstation and ran the firmware upgrade. If any
      partitioning was done the firmware upgrade did it. I am not familiar
      with Linux commands so most of the posts on this group are unfamiliar.
      I did a HD upgrade from a Windows perspective.
      J Watson

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
      wrote:
      > Do you need to setup the initial partitions first perhaps? I know you
      > need at least 3 partitions
      >
      > /dev/hda1 -- main root partition, can be just about any size.. Mine is
      > ~2Gb now
      > /dev/hda2 -- swap sized accordingly -- I'd suggest a few hundred megs
      > to be safe
      > /dev/hda3 -- this is the "big" partition and could/should be the rest
      > of the available space.
      >
      > -- Rick
      >
      > On Nov 6, 2004, at 6:17 PM, jpneflim wrote:
      >

      > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
      did:
      > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
      router.
      > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
      > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
      > > J Watson
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
      > > wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I
      took
      > >> it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
      > >> attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
      > >>
      > >> Any help is appreciated.
      > >>
      > >> Thanks
      > >>
      > >> Jamy
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jamy1975
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
        How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.

        Thanks

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
        wrote:

        > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
        > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
        > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
        > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
        > J Watson
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
        wrote:

        > > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
        > > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
        > > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
        > >
        > > Any help is appreciated.
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Jamy
      • jpneflim
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
          I also set mine to Master. I wanted to write a how to document when I
          was done but I needed to transfer 120GB of data to my new drive so I
          forgot some of the steps. Did you enter you adminastrator password
          when you upgraded the firmware?
          J Watson

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

          > How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.
          >
          > Thanks
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
          did:
          > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
          router.
          > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
          > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
          > > J Watson
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
          > wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation?
          I took
          > > > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
          > > > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
          > > >
          > > > Any help is appreciated.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks
          > > >
          > > > Jamy
        • jamy1975
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
            I got it work. I finally had to use your method of conencting the
            linkstation directly to my pc, no hubs or switches between. The
            firmware upgrade succeeded and all is well. Now I just need to go back
            in and hack the new drive for root, and get everything running the way
            I had it on the original 160GB disk.

            Thanks for the assistance.

            Jamy

            wrote:

            > I also set mine to Master. I wanted to write a how to document when I
            > was done but I needed to transfer 120GB of data to my new drive so I
            > forgot some of the steps. Did you enter you adminastrator password
            > when you upgraded the firmware?
            > J Watson
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
            wrote:

            > > How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
            > did:
            > > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
            > router.
            > > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
            > > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
            > > > J Watson
            > > >
            > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>

            > I took

          • lehkui_ong
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
              Congrats! Would you mind posting a step-by-step "how-ro" on what you
              have done?

              LK