Type of file system for the internal harddisc

  • poetting2001
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 15, 2005
      Trying to upgrade the harddisc of my Linkstation I was wondering, in
      which kind of file system the harddisc should be formated. My new
      harddisk already contains about 100 gigs of data(ext3-file system), so
      it would be nice if I could convert the disc to a matching file system
      without having to backup and restore all data.
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 15, 2005
        Try the program fix_ext2_magic that can be found in the files section.
        It will change a magic signature of the drive (or better partition) so
        that the linkstation recognizes the file system. If you plan to
        replace the internal hard disc you have to mimic the layout of the
        existing partition layout (three partitions, first boot, second swap,
        third data)

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "poetting2001"

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 15, 2005
          Hello balimbabullabe,
          at first I´d like to thank you for your quick answer. Is it only
          necessary to create those partitions mentioned or do I have to copy
          them from the original harddisk (with the help of an imaging tool
          like Norton Ghost or something like that)?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 16, 2005
            The first partition contains all the data / programs the Linkstation
            needs to start up (after the kernel has been loaded). So you should
            definitely copy it. The second partition is simply swap space so in my
            opinion it should be enough to simply create a partition with the
            correct type.

            But this is all theory, didn't try it myself. But I think there should
            have been others to change the internal disc so perhaps google will help.