Finally, Debian install instructions

    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 14, 2005
      Okay, I finally wrote some instructions for how I installed Debian on
      my Linkstation. This is certainly not my best writing so I'll
      probably be making lots of changes to it as time goes on, so be sure
      you grab the absolute latest version before you try any of this.

      It's in the files section under "HowTo files", then in a new folder
      for debian-on-the-linkstation related files.

      James
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 21 , Apr 14, 2005
        James,

        Could you please save it in rtf format and repost it. In the txt format you
        can read it online but if you download it it's just a mess.

        Looking forward to the read and giving it a try in the next couple weeks.

        Thanks!!
        JR

        > Okay, I finally wrote some instructions for how I installed Debian on
        > my Linkstation. This is certainly not my best writing so I'll
        > probably be making lots of changes to it as time goes on, so be sure
        > you grab the absolute latest version before you try any of this.
        >
        > It's in the files section under "HowTo files", then in a new folder
        > for debian-on-the-linkstation related files.
        >
        > James
      • James Ronald
        Message 3 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005
          James,

          I completed the Debian install on a fresh 250GB WD disk saving the original
          disk just in case. Following your instructions the process went smoothly,
          perhaps too smoothly. The drive is now connected to my LinkStation and
          seems to boot and shutdown correctly using the front panel button. I did
          change the static IP address to 192.168.1.99 as well as the network octet of
          the network broadcast and gateway addresses. The LinkStation is responding
          to pings to the 192.168.1.99 address. However, when I try to telnet to the
          192.168.1.99 address it seems that there is software running on the
          LinkStation that will not allow it. I am using a more recent Debian image
          dated 04/09/05 from the same site you list in your instructions. I ran out
          of time last night so I have not done any real trouble shooting or even
          going back to make sure I didn't fat finger something. Anything come to
          mind??

          I'm also thinking about changing my LinkStation to a Kuro Box so please keep
          us posted on what you find.

          Thanks,
          JR

          Message 4 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005
            <jronald@c...> wrote:
            > James,
            >
            > However, when I try to telnet to the
            > 192.168.1.99 address it seems that there is software running on the
            > LinkStation that will not allow it.

            Remember, root logins are not allowed with telnet to protect you from
            yourself. Log in as tmp-kun instead (same password), then you can
            "su" to root once you are in. I think Secure Shell runs on that base
            install as well which does allow root logins get the free Windows
            "putty.exe" if you need to.
          • James Ronald
            Message 5 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005
              >> 192.168.1.99 address it seems that there is software running on the
              >> LinkStation that will not allow it.
              >
              > Remember, root logins are not allowed with telnet to protect you from
              > yourself. Log in as tmp-kun instead (same password), then you can
              > "su" to root once you are in. I think Secure Shell runs on that base
              > install as well which does allow root logins get the free Windows
              > "putty.exe" if you need to.

              James,

              I'm not getting a logon prompt and after a few seconds the telnet putty
              session returns a message box saying "Network error: Software caused
              connection abort." A SSH putty session return "Network error: Connection
              Refused". Yet I can ping the address just fine. You didn't need to change
              any firewall rules or access lists? Tonight I'll try setting the IP address
              back to 192.168.0.100 and change one of my other boxes to something on that
              subnet and see what happens.

              Thanks
              JR
            • James Ronald
              Message 6 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005

                James,
                I figured out my problem. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the Debian
                image you installed but I also had to make the changes to /etc/hosts.allow
                to allow hosts from the 192.168.1.0 network that I use. You may want to add
                that to your "How To".

                Thanks for your help I'm sure I'll have other questions as I progress...
                JR
                Message 7 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005
                  <jronald@c...> wrote:
                  > I figured out my problem. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the
                  > Debian image you installed but I also had to make the changes to
                  > /etc/hosts.allow to allow hosts from the 192.168.1.0 network that I
                  > use. You may want to add that to your "How To".

                  Oh yea, My local LAN is 192.168.0.0 so in my case it all just worked
                  out. So I guess I'll have to add that to the instructions.

                  Also, was there sshd running? I can't remember if there was or that
                  was one of the first things I installed.

                  > Thanks for your help I'm sure I'll have other questions as I
                  > progress...

                  No problem. I get the feeling that people on this forum would like to
                  see more people try this conversion out before they consider it. I
                  know I'm sure happy with it. Are you very familiar with Debian? If
                  not, what "full sized" Linux distributions (if any) are you familiar
                  with? This way I can try to answer questions from that perspective.
                • James Ronald
                  Message 8 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005
                    > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Ronald"
                    > <jronald@c...> wrote:
                    >> I figured out my problem. I'm not sure if it was an issue with the
                    >> Debian image you installed but I also had to make the changes to
                    >> /etc/hosts.allow to allow hosts from the 192.168.1.0 network that I
                    >> use. You may want to add that to your "How To".
                    >
                    > Oh yea, My local LAN is 192.168.0.0 so in my case it all just worked
                    > out. So I guess I'll have to add that to the instructions.
                    >
                    > Also, was there sshd running? I can't remember if there was or that
                    > was one of the first things I installed.

                    No sshd. Only telnet and proftpd. Of course I updated the time zone with
                    the tzconfig, created a new user and changed the passwords for root and
                    tmp-kun as well.

                    >> Thanks for your help I'm sure I'll have other questions as I
                    >> progress...
                    >
                    > No problem. I get the feeling that people on this forum would like to
                    > see more people try this conversion out before they consider it. I
                    > know I'm sure happy with it. Are you very familiar with Debian? If
                    > not, what "full sized" Linux distributions (if any) are you familiar
                    > with? This way I can try to answer questions from that perspective.

                    I thought it went very smooth and considered it very low risk since I was
                    not updating the flash and was replacing the hard drive with a different
                    drive keeping the LinkStation drive in tack making it easy to reverse the
                    change. I was able to pull back the mirrored plate a bit with a finger nail
                    to remove the tiny screws and push the mirrored back without damage or
                    blemish.

                    I have a machine dedicated for learning and playing with Linux. I have
                    Fedora Core 3, Fedora Core Test 2, Debian, SUSE 9.2 installed on hard drives
                    which I switch out of the machine. I also have knoppix on CD and DSL
                    installed on a USB memory stick. However, I would still consider myself a
                    noob since I don't have as much time to play as I'd like and Linux is not
                    what I do for a living.

                    I am interested in learning the advantages of using the Kuro kernel and/or
                    if you have researched the Debian standalone option also available at that
                    site. I assume by standalone they're putting something in flash.

                    JR
                    Message 9 of 21 , Apr 19, 2005
                      <jronald@c...> wrote:

                      > No sshd. Only telnet and proftpd.

                      Thanks, I often install stuff so quickly that I forget that I did.
                      Proftpd might also be configured to only allow public "anonymous"
                      access as well, but then the secure-ftp that is built into ssh works
                      well for overall access.

                      > Of course I updated the time zone with the tzconfig,

                      Oh yea, probably something else to add to the instructions unless you
                      happen to live in Japan. Remember "ntpd" is just an "apt-get install"
                      away! You'll need to put an entry like "pool.ntp.org" into it's
                      config file though.

                      > I was able to pull back the mirrored plate a bit with a finger nail
                      > to remove the tiny screws and push the mirrored back without damage
                      > or blemish.

                      Yea, that is how most people do it. I guess I also need to update
                      that webpage too. At the time I did mine I was just putting pressure
                      on it with a small screw driver and it popped free stripping out the
                      screw before I knew what was going on.

                      > I have a machine dedicated for learning and playing with Linux. I
                      > have Fedora Core 3, Fedora Core Test 2, Debian, SUSE 9.2 installed
                      > on hard drives which I switch out of the machine. I also have
                      > knoppix on CD and DSL installed on a USB memory stick.

                      Looks good to me. What you might want to do is anytime you do a major
                      upgrade of Debian on you LS, try it on your other Debian machine first
                      in case something happens an you lose network access. It would
                      certainly be easier to troubleshoot on your workstation first. Debian
                      "unstable" is very stable right now, but as soon as Sarge is totally
                      frozen, we may start seeing some very scary updates.

                      > However, I would still consider myself a noob since I don't have as
                      > much time to play as I'd like and Linux is not what I do for a
                      > living.

                      I'm mostly in the same boat, except I might have a few years head
                      start on you. It sure seems like there is a lot to learn, but it has
                      all been well worth it.

                      > I am interested in learning the advantages of using the Kuro kernel

                      I think I found the kernel config file, but you can also an idea by
                      browsing the /lib/modules/2.4.17_kurobox/kernel directories on the
                      KuroBox software. There is modules for a lot of stuff that I can't
                      see how you could use on the LS (or KuroBox), but basically there is
                      CDROM support, better USB support (serial devices, mice, scanners,
                      audio, etc), and support for a more file systems.

                      > and/or if you have researched the Debian standalone option also
                      > available at that site.

                      No, I didn't notice if there was a kernel replacement as part of the
                      procedure.

                      > I assume by standalone they're putting something in flash.

                      I'm thinking it was *not* running it in a chroot environment like I
                      was doing some time ago. The Kurobox forums have a few projects where
                      people have compiled their own kernels, a few people have "bricked"
                      their boxes by trying, and some people trying to develop safer methods
                      of "testing" new kernels, such as a better bootloader, or a kernel
                      module that then executes an alternative "test" kernel. Kernel
                      replacement will be the next big project that I'll work on for the
                      Linkstation because even the Kurobox kernel is pissing me off (see my
                      post about not getting true USB 2.0 speed out of it) because it still
                      lacks some usb hardware support for some things I have, plus there are
                      some real security problems with this vintage of kernel.
                    • s_herzog30
                      Message 10 of 21 , Apr 20, 2005
                        > > Thanks for your help I'm sure I'll have other questions as I
                        > > progress...
                        >
                        > No problem. I get the feeling that people on this forum would
                        like to
                        > see more people try this conversion out before they consider it.
                        > know I'm sure happy with it. Are you very familiar with Debian?
                        If
                        > not, what "full sized" Linux distributions (if any) are you
                        familiar
                        > with? This way I can try to answer questions from that
                        perspective.

                        Hm, I am actually too considering this "full conversion", but I
                        think most people are scared from repartitioning their hard drive
                        and thus not being able to revert on a unKuro'ed LinkStation (no EM
                        mode..).

                        Maybe it could help, if a "nice guy" out there could do a full image
                        of an empty untouched drive, so who fails in installing Debian could
                        reset it to its previous state.

                        An image off an "empty" LinkStation drive should also not be that
                        big, or am I mistaken?
                      • jceklosk
                        Message 11 of 21 , Apr 20, 2005
                          I have a saved off copy of a pretty clean Linkstation 160 1.44
                          original root file system. The only change is to the passwd file for
                          a hacked root account.

                          Joe

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "s_herzog30"

                          Message 12 of 21 , Apr 20, 2005
                            <thomas.herzog@g...> wrote:

                            > Maybe it could help, if a "nice guy" out there could do a full
                            > image of an empty untouched drive, so who fails in installing
                            > Debian could reset it to its previous state.

                            Since with the present procedure, you are going to have the drive in
                            a Linux workstation anyway, simply do something like this: "dd
                            if=/dev/hdc1 of=LS-OS.img bs=1k" (assuming the LS drive is hdc) and
                            it will copy the whole partition to a file. You can do the same
                            thing to the 3rd partition too if you like. You can compress them
                            and burn them to a CDROM if you wish. Then just reverse the two
                            "if" & "of" terms if you need to put it all back. You also have to
                            remember your partition sizes so to partition the drive with empty
                            partitions to dump the images on to.

                            I know, I was scared too, which is why I tried it on a separate
                            surplus (and dying) 20 Gig hard drive first, and was running it in a
                            "chrooted" environment on hda3 before that. The "chrooted"
                            environment is recommended if you aren't sure if you are going to
                            like it anyway because it gives you an easy way to test drive it
                            first.

                            > An image off an "empty" LinkStation drive should also not be that
                            > big, or am I mistaken?

                            About the size of the firmware updates, assuming you compress it the
                            same way.
                          • jens72m
                            Message 13 of 21 , Apr 21, 2005
                              Hi Joe,

                              is it possible to make the image downloadable? I'm just in a situation
                              where I'm searching a clean LS image and would be pretty pleased if
                              you or somebody else could help me out.

                              Jens

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
                              wrote:

                              > I have a saved off copy of a pretty clean Linkstation 160 1.44
                              > original root file system. The only change is to the passwd file for
                              > a hacked root account.
                              >

                              > Joe

                            • jceklosk
                              Message 14 of 21 , Apr 21, 2005
                                Jens,

                                Sure I can do this...do you have a place I can FTP the file to?

                                The file is about 37 Megs, tar.bz2'ed.

                                Joe

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jens72m" <solerogt@w...>
                                wrote:

                                > Hi Joe,
                                >
                                > is it possible to make the image downloadable? I'm just in a situation
                                > where I'm searching a clean LS image and would be pretty pleased if
                                > you or somebody else could help me out.
                                >
                                > Jens
                                >
                                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jceklosk" <jceklosk@y...>
                                > wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I have a saved off copy of a pretty clean Linkstation 160 1.44
                                > > original root file system. The only change is to the passwd file for
                                > > a hacked root account.
                                > >

                                > > Joe

                              • kinsnet
                                Message 15 of 21 , Apr 22, 2005
                                  James,

                                  Thanks for the install instructions, they worked great.

                                  After going through the install I have some feedback for the second
                                  version of the document.

                                  *** PRE-INSTALL ***
                                  1. Partioning information is a little unclear. Maybe something like
                                  this would make it more clear:

                                  Partition 1: 2 gig type 83
                                  Partition 2: 256mb swap type 82
                                  Partition 3: rest of disk, type 83

                                  2. Link to your dissamebly instructions:
                                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstewart228368/links
                                  tation/Disassembly.html

                                  3. After copying over tar file and extracting it, making changes to
                                  /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts, /etc/network/interfaces to set your own
                                  IP address.

                                  *** POST-INSTALL ***
                                  4. Changing the box from a static IP to DHCP
                                  5. Setting up webmin (and use it to admin samba below??)
                                  6. Setting up samba and how to use it with partition 3

                                  *** MORE TOOLS ***
                                  7. daapd, slimp3, twonky, javaHMO (for tivo), etc.

                                  Thanks again for the doc!
                                  Ryan
                                • Andrew M King
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 22, 2005
                                    Hi Everyone,

                                    I have TwonkyVision on my LinkStation. That was the reason I bought the
                                    LinkStation - to have a nearly silent computer to serve as a NAS, Print
                                    Server and Media Server. The LinkStation is awesome like that!

                                    But, I have noticed that every once in a while, the LinkStation disappears
                                    on the network. I cannot ping it, cannot telnet to it, cannot access its
                                    web interface etc.

                                    Has anyone else seen this? Does anyone know what would cause this? I am
                                    running DHCP on my local network. I have a TV Tuner card in another
                                    computer which records shows onto the LinkStation - my NAS does not make a
                                    good TIVO if it becomes unavailable - even though this seems to be very
                                    rare.

                                    Thanks,

                                    Andrew
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 22, 2005
                                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "kinsnet" <kinsnet@y...>
                                      wrote:

                                      > After going through the install I have some feedback for the
                                      > second version of the document.

                                      Great! Thanks for the recomendations. I'll try to get these and
                                      others put in soon.

                                      > *** PRE-INSTALL ***
                                      > 1. Partioning information is a little unclear. Maybe something
                                      > like this would make it more clear:
                                      >
                                      > Partition 1: 2 gig type 83
                                      > Partition 2: 256mb swap type 82
                                      > Partition 3: rest of disk, type 83
                                      >
                                      > 2. Link to your dissamebly instructions:
                                      > http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstewart228368/links
                                      > tation/Disassembly.html
                                      >
                                      > 3. After copying over tar file and extracting it, making changes
                                      > to /etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts, /etc/network/interfaces to set
                                      > your own IP address.
                                      >
                                      > *** POST-INSTALL ***
                                      > 4. Changing the box from a static IP to DHCP

                                      Were you able to do this? I got an error about port forwarding not
                                      enabled in the kernel when installing dhcpclient. Of course I could
                                      try "pump" or others to see what happens. I'm just a little afraid
                                      of losing network connectivity and having to pull my hard drive out
                                      again since I blew up my LS doing this once already.

                                      > 5. Setting up webmin (and use it to admin samba below??)

                                      For Samba, I use "swat" which gives you more control than you would
                                      ever want! It's actually a problem (confusing), but it also
                                      includes tons of documentation for each function/option. I've never
                                      used webmin, but it with a bunch of optional modules are in the
                                      Debian repositories so they should install and setup easily. In
                                      "aptitude" enter "/webmin" then start pushing "\" to search through
                                      pages of webmin modules. "+" will select them to install and then a
                                      couple of "g"s will actually do it (or do the VNC+icewm+synaptic
                                      combo install like I did if aptitude is to hard to figure out)

                                      > 6. Setting up samba and how to use it with partition 3

                                      Yes. It is a little tricky because of all the options and that the
                                      defaults aren't very sensible.

                                      > *** MORE TOOLS ***
                                      > 7. daapd, slimp3, twonky, javaHMO (for tivo), etc.

                                      Well here is where you people come in because I don't have any
                                      interest in some of this (I'm currently trying to get the caching
                                      web proxy "squid" configured on my LS so to speed things up around
                                      the house a little, but it is another case of too many options!).
                                      So write a doc on anything you figure out and put it in the "Debian
                                      on Linkstation" folder. I noticed that daapd and slimp3 are in the
                                      "sid" repository. So "apt-get install daapd slimp3" will install
                                      both quickly, which is a good place to start.

                                      I guess I need to explain how to change the repository from "woody"
                                      to "sid". Basically it is changing the word "stable" to "unstable"
                                      in /etc/apt/sources.list, then doing an "apt-get update". After
                                      this if you want to upgrade your whole system, do an "apt-get
                                      dist-upgrade".
                                    • kinsnet
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 22, 2005
                                        Thanks for the extra info. I'm really excited about Debian on the
                                        Linkstation. I should have put in the feedback that my main concern
                                        is getting my Debian Linkstation in the same state as how my
                                        Linkstation came from the factory. (I did use a 200GB drive instead
                                        of the factory drive for safety)

                                        I guess what I'm missing is the Samba, webmin and the DHCP part... I
                                        haven't given them a try to get them going.

                                        Samba is probably the most important one as I use the box for backup.
                                        (I forgot that swat is the admin tool for Samba!) I'll give it a go
                                        and see how it all works out.

                                        Webmin would be good to replace the lost functionality of the web
                                        interface, but I'm not really sure what I need it for right now as I
                                        do most Debian changes from the command line anyway. Maybe just good
                                        for Debian newbies. I usually forget the damn port for webmin after I
                                        install it anyway ;)

                                        I think I'll leave the box as static, don't want it to become a brick.

                                        One thing I forgot to mention, that I would like to do is the ability
                                        to have the hard drive spin down. Looking through some Debian stuff,
                                        it looks a little tricky too. I worry about the drive spinning in
                                        there all day.

                                        I agree that everyone will have different needs for their Linkstations
                                        and would be best not to clutter your document with all the extra stuff.

                                        The dist-upgrade was pretty clear to me. I think my box is a sid
                                        distribution now after changing my sources and doing apt-get
                                        dist-upgrade.

                                        Thanks!

                                        <wartstew@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        >
                                        > > *** MORE TOOLS ***
                                        > > 7. daapd, slimp3, twonky, javaHMO (for tivo), etc.
                                        >
                                        > Well here is where you people come in because I don't have any
                                        > interest in some of this (I'm currently trying to get the caching
                                        > web proxy "squid" configured on my LS so to speed things up around
                                        > the house a little, but it is another case of too many options!).
                                        > So write a doc on anything you figure out and put it in the "Debian
                                        > on Linkstation" folder. I noticed that daapd and slimp3 are in the
                                        > "sid" repository. So "apt-get install daapd slimp3" will install
                                        > both quickly, which is a good place to start.
                                        >
                                        > I guess I need to explain how to change the repository from "woody"
                                        > to "sid". Basically it is changing the word "stable" to "unstable"
                                        > in /etc/apt/sources.list, then doing an "apt-get update". After
                                        > this if you want to upgrade your whole system, do an "apt-get
                                      • James Ronald
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 22, 2005

> [...]
                                          >
                                          >> *** MORE TOOLS ***
                                          >> 7. daapd, slimp3, twonky, javaHMO (for tivo), etc.
                                          >
                                          > Well here is where you people come in because I don't have any
                                          > interest in some of this (I'm currently trying to get the caching
                                          > web proxy "squid" configured on my LS so to speed things up around
                                          > the house a little, but it is another case of too many options!).
                                          > So write a doc on anything you figure out and put it in the "Debian
                                          > on Linkstation" folder. I noticed that daapd and slimp3 are in the
                                          > "sid" repository. So "apt-get install daapd slimp3" will install
                                          > both quickly, which is a good place to start.
                                          >
                                          > I guess I need to explain how to change the repository from "woody"
                                          > to "sid". Basically it is changing the word "stable" to "unstable"
                                          > in /etc/apt/sources.list, then doing an "apt-get update". After
                                          > this if you want to upgrade your whole system, do an "apt-get

                                          Good point on installing the modules for Webmin via aptitude. When I
                                          installed Webmin I noticed that the Samba Module was not installed so I
                                          tried to install it using Webmin Module Config which told me that I needed
                                          to upgraded to Webmin v1.20 (I think). So I used the upgrade Webmin button
                                          which upgraded Webmin just fine. I was then able to install the Samba
                                          module which does work fine by the way. However, now I find that smartmon
                                          tools installed via aptitude don't want to work with the Webmin installed
                                          SMART module and aptitude now has no idea what Webmin module install and
                                          upgrade did. In fact it aptitude thinks version 1.18 is installed. Oh
                                          well, I'm sure it will take me sometime to fix that mess.

                                          On a positive note, I'm liking the switch to a full debian distribution. The
                                          newer version of Samba 3.0.14 is much more responsive (Very quick) when
                                          connecting to and working with shares. Although, actual throughput seems
                                          about the same. Ditto on getting the DHCP client to work.

                                          JR
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 22, 2005
                                            <jronald@c...> wrote:

                                            > So I used the upgrade Webmin button which upgraded Webmin just fine.
                                            > I was then able to install the Samba module which does work fine by
                                            > the way.

                                            It *is* a bad idea to go around a Linux distribution's package manager
                                            when installing and deleting software (just like it's a bad idea on
                                            Windows), you *will* end up with a mess unless you are very good.
                                            Also, there might be a good reason that Debian "sid" is only at 1.183,
                                            maybe there there are problems with some of the modules not working
                                            yet with the later versions, or compatibility issues with the current
                                            shared library set Debian is using. My advice is to do an uninstall
                                            (if not a "purge") using a package management tool (apt-get, aptitude,
                                            synaptic, etc) then re-install, it's kind of like OS management under
                                            Windows! If Debian "Sid" isn't "bleeding" edge, up-to-date enough for
                                            you, then you might look into the Gentoo distro, but it will be more
                                            painful to deal with. "Sid" will probably start getting caught up
                                            soon, you can also check the "../experimental" Debian repository and
                                            see if a newer version is in there, which would be a little safer.

                                            > The newer version of Samba 3.0.14 is much more responsive (Very
                                            > quick) when connecting to and working with shares.

                                            Also more stable and secure.
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 23, 2005
                                              wrote:

                                              > I guess what I'm missing is the Samba,

                                              apt-get install samba swat

                                              I can't remember, but then I think you have to uncomment the swat line
                                              in /etc/inetd.conf then restart inetd.conf (/etc/init.d/inetd restart)

                                              Just bring up http://<linkstation-IP>:901 in a web browser and have fun!

                                              > webmin

                                              Pick it and the modules for the systems you want to control out of
                                              aptitude.

                                              > and the DHCP part...

                                              Here is the one I haven't figured out. It seems to me that you didn't
                                              used to need port filtering turned on in the kernel to run the DHCP
                                              client. Maybe the is an option to run it without in the config of the
                                              client. There are also several other DHCP clients to choose from.

                                              > Samba is probably the most important one as I use the box for
                                              > backup.

                                              Notice that there are several network backup packages in the
                                              repository, some are very fancy/sophisticated (and hard to learn).

                                              > (I forgot that swat is the admin tool for Samba!) I'll give it a
                                              > go and see how it all works out.

                                              It's the way to do Samba IMHO.

                                              > Webmin would be good to replace the lost functionality of the web
                                              > interface, but I'm not really sure what I need it for right now as I
                                              > do most Debian changes from the command line anyway. Maybe just
                                              > good for Debian newbies. I usually forget the damn port for webmin
                                              > after I install it anyway ;)

                                              Maybe you and James Ronald can report back to us how Webmin works out.
                                              I never messed around with it myself. My idea of GUI based
                                              administration was the remote x-desktop via VNC I got running. It's NICE!

                                              > I think I'll leave the box as static, don't want it to become a
                                              > brick.

                                              I think there is a way to have it default to a static IP if a DHCP
                                              server fails. It would be a nice feature.

                                              > One thing I forgot to mention, that I would like to do is the
                                              > ability to have the hard drive spin down. Looking through some
                                              > Debian stuff, it looks a little tricky too. I worry about the drive
                                              > spinning in there all day.

                                              apt-get install noflushd

                                              and it will spin down promptly! A little too promptly for me, So no I
                                              need to learn how to configure it a little. The package
                                              "laptop-mode-tools" will probably work too (works great on my laptop),
                                              but I think it tries to do more than just spin down the hard drive.

                                              > I agree that everyone will have different needs for their
                                              > Linkstations

                                              That is what is so great about putting something like Debian on it
                                              with over 16,000 packages, everyone should be able to easily customize
                                              their Linkstations to their own needs.

                                              > and would be best not to clutter your document with all the extra
                                              > stuff.

                                              That is why I made a separate directory in this group for
                                              Debian-on-Linkstation related stuff. Please write about how you are
                                              using your linkstation and put it in there! Other's are afraid too,
                                              and would like to see some success stories as well as some application
                                              ideas.

                                              > The dist-upgrade was pretty clear to me. I think my box is a sid
                                              > distribution now after changing my sources and doing apt-get
                                              > dist-upgrade.

                                              Yea, that whole process is usually too uneventful considering you just
                                              completely replaced your OS! I'm quickly convinced once I start
                                              smoothly installing software that doesn't exist in Woody. Woody's
                                              repository is much smaller. When a Debian "testing" gets ready to go
                                              "stable" Debian issues a critical bug report and then an ultimatum to
                                              software maintainers to fix these bugs or your software will get axed
                                              from "stable". Then they follow through with the threat.

                                              Oh yea, all those downloaded updates pile up in
                                              /etc/cache/apt/archives. If you want to get rid of them, do an
                                              "apt-get clean"

                                              PS: If someone would like to put some of my ramblings into organized
                                              docs, it would sure be appreciated.