Re: Problem Replacing the HD

  • jpneflim
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
      I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
      Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
      Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
      At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
      J Watson

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

      > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
      > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
      > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
      >
      > Any help is appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Jamy
    • Rick Flower
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
        Do you need to setup the initial partitions first perhaps? I know you
        need at least 3 partitions

        /dev/hda1 -- main root partition, can be just about any size.. Mine is
        ~2Gb now
        /dev/hda2 -- swap sized accordingly -- I'd suggest a few hundred megs
        to be safe
        /dev/hda3 -- this is the "big" partition and could/should be the rest
        of the available space.

        -- Rick

        On Nov 6, 2004, at 6:17 PM, jpneflim wrote:

        > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
        > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
        > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
        > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
        > J Watson
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
        > wrote:
        >>
        >> Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
        >> it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
        >> attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
        >>
        >> Any help is appreciated.
        >>
        >> Thanks
        >>
        >> Jamy
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • jpneflim
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
          I didnt do any partitioning. I took the new drive out of the box put
          it in the Linkstation and ran the firmware upgrade. If any
          partitioning was done the firmware upgrade did it. I am not familiar
          with Linux commands so most of the posts on this group are unfamiliar.
          I did a HD upgrade from a Windows perspective.
          J Watson

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
          wrote:
          > Do you need to setup the initial partitions first perhaps? I know you
          > need at least 3 partitions
          >
          > /dev/hda1 -- main root partition, can be just about any size.. Mine is
          > ~2Gb now
          > /dev/hda2 -- swap sized accordingly -- I'd suggest a few hundred megs
          > to be safe
          > /dev/hda3 -- this is the "big" partition and could/should be the rest
          > of the available space.
          >
          > -- Rick
          >
          > On Nov 6, 2004, at 6:17 PM, jpneflim wrote:
          >

          > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
          did:
          > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
          router.
          > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
          > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
          > > J Watson
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
          > > wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I
          took
          > >> it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
          > >> attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
          > >>
          > >> Any help is appreciated.
          > >>
          > >> Thanks
          > >>
          > >> Jamy
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jamy1975
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
            How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.

            Thanks

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
            wrote:

            > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
            > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
            > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
            > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
            > J Watson
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
            wrote:

            > > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
            > > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
            > > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
            > >
            > > Any help is appreciated.
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Jamy
          • jpneflim
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
              I also set mine to Master. I wanted to write a how to document when I
              was done but I needed to transfer 120GB of data to my new drive so I
              forgot some of the steps. Did you enter you adminastrator password
              when you upgraded the firmware?
              J Watson

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

              > How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
              did:
              > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
              router.
              > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
              > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
              > > J Watson
              > >
              > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
              > wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation?
              I took
              > > > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
              > > > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
              > > >
              > > > Any help is appreciated.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > >
              > > > Jamy
            • jamy1975
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
                I got it work. I finally had to use your method of conencting the
                linkstation directly to my pc, no hubs or switches between. The
                firmware upgrade succeeded and all is well. Now I just need to go back
                in and hack the new drive for root, and get everything running the way
                I had it on the original 160GB disk.

                Thanks for the assistance.

                Jamy

                wrote:

                > I also set mine to Master. I wanted to write a how to document when I
                > was done but I needed to transfer 120GB of data to my new drive so I
                > forgot some of the steps. Did you enter you adminastrator password
                > when you upgraded the firmware?
                > J Watson
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                wrote:

                > > How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.
                > >
                > > Thanks
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
                > did:
                > > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
                > router.
                > > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
                > > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
                > > > J Watson
                > > >
                > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>

                > I took

              • lehkui_ong
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                  Congrats! Would you mind posting a step-by-step "how-ro" on what you
                  have done?

                  LK