Problem Replacing the HD

  • jamy1975
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
      Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
      it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
      attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"

      Any help is appreciated.

      Thanks

      Jamy
    • jpneflim
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
        I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
        Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
        Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
        At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
        J Watson

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

        > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
        > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
        > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
        >
        > Any help is appreciated.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Jamy
      • Rick Flower
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
          Do you need to setup the initial partitions first perhaps? I know you
          need at least 3 partitions

          /dev/hda1 -- main root partition, can be just about any size.. Mine is
          ~2Gb now
          /dev/hda2 -- swap sized accordingly -- I'd suggest a few hundred megs
          to be safe
          /dev/hda3 -- this is the "big" partition and could/should be the rest
          of the available space.

          -- Rick

          On Nov 6, 2004, at 6:17 PM, jpneflim wrote:

          > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
          > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
          > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
          > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
          > J Watson
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
          > wrote:
          >>
          >> Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
          >> it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
          >> attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
          >>
          >> Any help is appreciated.
          >>
          >> Thanks
          >>
          >> Jamy
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jpneflim
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
            I didnt do any partitioning. I took the new drive out of the box put
            it in the Linkstation and ran the firmware upgrade. If any
            partitioning was done the firmware upgrade did it. I am not familiar
            with Linux commands so most of the posts on this group are unfamiliar.
            I did a HD upgrade from a Windows perspective.
            J Watson

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rick Flower <rickf@c...>
            wrote:
            > Do you need to setup the initial partitions first perhaps? I know you
            > need at least 3 partitions
            >
            > /dev/hda1 -- main root partition, can be just about any size.. Mine is
            > ~2Gb now
            > /dev/hda2 -- swap sized accordingly -- I'd suggest a few hundred megs
            > to be safe
            > /dev/hda3 -- this is the "big" partition and could/should be the rest
            > of the available space.
            >
            > -- Rick
            >
            > On Nov 6, 2004, at 6:17 PM, jpneflim wrote:
            >

            > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
            did:
            > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
            router.
            > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
            > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
            > > J Watson
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
            > > wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I
            took
            > >> it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
            > >> attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
            > >>
            > >> Any help is appreciated.
            > >>
            > >> Thanks
            > >>
            > >> Jamy
            > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • jamy1975
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
              How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.

              Thanks

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
              wrote:

              > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I did:
              > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a router.
              > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
              > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
              > J Watson
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
              wrote:

              > > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation? I took
              > > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
              > > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
              > >
              > > Any help is appreciated.
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > Jamy
            • jpneflim
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
                I also set mine to Master. I wanted to write a how to document when I
                was done but I needed to transfer 120GB of data to my new drive so I
                forgot some of the steps. Did you enter you adminastrator password
                when you upgraded the firmware?
                J Watson

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...> wrote:

                > How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.
                >
                > Thanks
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
                did:
                > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
                router.
                > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
                > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
                > > J Watson
                > >
                > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                > wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Anyone have a tutorial for replacing the HD on the linkstation?
                I took
                > > > it apart and installed a 250 GB maxtor. The 1.44 flash utility
                > > > attmepts to run and says "firmware upgrade failed"
                > > >
                > > > Any help is appreciated.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks
                > > >
                > > > Jamy
              • jamy1975
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 6, 2004
                  I got it work. I finally had to use your method of conencting the
                  linkstation directly to my pc, no hubs or switches between. The
                  firmware upgrade succeeded and all is well. Now I just need to go back
                  in and hack the new drive for root, and get everything running the way
                  I had it on the original 160GB disk.

                  Thanks for the assistance.

                  Jamy

                  wrote:

                  > I also set mine to Master. I wanted to write a how to document when I
                  > was done but I needed to transfer 120GB of data to my new drive so I
                  > forgot some of the steps. Did you enter you adminastrator password
                  > when you upgraded the firmware?
                  > J Watson
                  >
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>
                  wrote:

                  > > How did you setup the jumpers on the HD? I have mine set to master.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jpneflim" <jpneflim@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I've just installed a Maxtor 300GB in my Linkstation. Heres what I
                  > did:
                  > > > Plug the Linkstation directly into your PC. Do not go through a
                  > router.
                  > > > Disable all firewalls you have running including windows.
                  > > > At that point do what youve been doing all should be well.
                  > > > J Watson
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jamy1975" <jamy@b...>

                  > I took

                • lehkui_ong
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
                    Congrats! Would you mind posting a step-by-step "how-ro" on what you
                    have done?

                    LK