Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Hacking the Linkstation II (MIPS-based)

  • Simon Middleton
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 12, 2005
      pretzel_munster wrote:

      > Hi Markus,
      >
      > as you seem to be one of the first ones with the new LinkStation, some
      > questions for you:
      > 1. How can you tell without voiding the warranty, which CPU the LS
      > uses?

      If your software version is 1.X then it is a PowerPC if it is a 2.X then
      it is a MIPS. Whilst this is not guaranteed - Buffalo could change their
      numbering scheme in the future - I think it will be a reliable indicator,

      > 3. Will Twonkyvision's MediaServer run on the box?

      The existing binary they provide is for the 1.X series so it won't run
      in the 2.X. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to get them to do a MIPS
      version given the other NAS boxes they support - but obviously there
      would be a delay I imagine depending on their commitments.

      (Note for those who don't know about Twonkyvision they do a commercial -
      but cheap - media server with binaries for LS1, NSLU2 and the usual
      platforms).

      -- Simon.