TeraStation ? Has anybody a TeraStation

  • stefan9113
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
      Hello,
      i have a Buffalo TeraStation. With the same Problems like the new
      LinkStation. No way to get in, no telnet. Is there a TeraStation Group
      here?
      Can somebody help me? My Linux Basics are bad.
      Greetings from Bavaria Stefan
    • T Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
        Stefan, I just got one HD-H1.0TGL/R5 for work, but the standard
        linkstation OS www/cgi-bin share holes are not there. I can't figure
        out how to get in. All the sites on hacking the TeraStation are in
        Japanese. The one good Japanese site is:
        http://www.geocities.jp/trstat/

        From what I could babelfish from those pages is that you can re-wire
        (jumper) the external DB-9 UPS serial connector on the motherboard to
        act as the serial console instead of the UPS comm.

        http://www.geocities.jp/trstat/cons_ssh.html#cons

        Once you have access to the serial console, you are root. I can't
        figure out what steps they are explaining to jumper the motherboard
        though. Mobo hacking is a very scary operation on a $1000 box even
        when done in english.

        I am anxious to get working on this as I want NFS, sshd and rsync to
        work for my backup purposes. That's all I need out of the Terastation
        at this time.

        ./ted

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stefan9113"
        <stefan9113@f...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > i have a Buffalo TeraStation. With the same Problems like the new
        > LinkStation. No way to get in, no telnet. Is there a TeraStation
        Group
        > here?
        > Can somebody help me? My Linux Basics are bad.
        > Greetings from Bavaria Stefan
      • Anthony Migliore
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
          Does anybody know the TeraStation hardware specs?

          Processor looks like a PPC from the Japanese sites, what speed?

          How much RAM?

          What are the 'real life' transfer speeds via ethernet?
        • stefan9113
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 12, 2005
            OK, thanks very much for your answer. I think I will wait for some
            hacks in english. I can translate the japanese site in english. But
            the picture on this site I can not see. I think it needs 4 weeks more
            and some Linuxkings have an idear to get in the TeraStation.
            by Stefan

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "T Smith" <tedyahoo@o...>
            wrote:

            > Stefan, I just got one HD-H1.0TGL/R5 for work, but the standard
            > linkstation OS www/cgi-bin share holes are not there. I can't
            figure
            > out how to get in. All the sites on hacking the TeraStation are in
            > Japanese. The one good Japanese site is:
            > http://www.geocities.jp/trstat/
            >
            > From what I could babelfish from those pages is that you can re-wire
            > (jumper) the external DB-9 UPS serial connector on the motherboard
            > act as the serial console instead of the UPS comm.
            >
            > http://www.geocities.jp/trstat/cons_ssh.html#cons
            >
            > Once you have access to the serial console, you are root. I can't
            > figure out what steps they are explaining to jumper the motherboard
            > though. Mobo hacking is a very scary operation on a $1000 box even
            > when done in english.
            >
            > I am anxious to get working on this as I want NFS, sshd and rsync to
            > work for my backup purposes. That's all I need out of the
            Terastation
            > at this time.
            >
            > ./ted
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "stefan9113"
            > <stefan9113@f...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello,
            > > i have a Buffalo TeraStation. With the same Problems like the new
            > > LinkStation. No way to get in, no telnet. Is there a TeraStation
            > Group
            > > here?
            > > Can somebody help me? My Linux Basics are bad.
            > > Greetings from Bavaria Stefan
          • balimbabullabe
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 13, 2005
              > Stefan, I just got one HD-H1.0TGL/R5 for work, but the standard
              > linkstation OS www/cgi-bin share holes are not there. I can't figure
              > out how to get in.

              Hi Ted,

              after I hacked my Linkstation II on the very "low level" (by opening
              the box) I tried to find some holes in the cgi's they provide. I found
              some places where programs are called via the system call directly
              followed by a perl variable. But none of those cgi's I tried allowed
              me to "inject" other commands because they were recognized and
              filtered out.
              Could you point me to a web site where they "old" holes are described ?

              Regards,
              Markus
            • Paul Milligan
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005

                I’ve just had a look at the Japanese site. One of their options is to modify the firmimg.bin file. The Terastation is more like a big KuroBox, it does not rely on a pre-installed OS image on the hard drive (it can’t because they are available as a raid array). Those familiar with hacking the kurobox know it is possible to regenerate firmimg.bin with a modified initrd, and in this it is possible to setup a telnet daemon. Unlike the Linkstation where this file is encrypted, on the Kuro amd TeraStation it is not, so mods are possible.

                I’m fairly certain on the Kuro forum some brave souls have changed firming.bin and lived to tell the tale; I suspect the real blocker here is the fear of creating a $1000 doorstop.

                > Stefan, I just got one HD-H1.0TGL/R5 for work, but the standard
                > linkstation OS www/cgi-bin share holes are not there.  I can't figure
                > out how to get in.

                Hi Ted,

                after I hacked my Linkstation II on the very "low level" (by opening
                the box) I tried to find some holes in the cgi's they provide. I found
                some places where programs are called via the system call directly
                followed by a perl variable. But none of those cgi's I tried allowed
                me to "inject" other commands because they were recognized and
                filtered out.
                Could you point me to a web site where they "old" holes are described ?

                Regards,
                Markus

              • Trevor
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30, 2005
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Milligan"
                  <paul_t_milligan@y...> wrote:
                  > The Terastation is more like a big KuroBox, it does
                  > not rely on a pre-installed OS image on the hard drive (it can't because
                  > they are available as a raid array).

                  I've got a TeraStation and it does use part of the HD for the root FS.
                  If you replace all 4 drives then you're going to have to preinstall
                  those files first.

                  md0 : active raid1 hdg1[3] hde1[2] hdc1[1] hda1[0]
                  385408 blocks [4/4] [UUUU]

                  md1 : active raid5 hdg3[3] hde3[2] hdc3[1] hda3[0]
                  730443072 blocks level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]

                  md0 is / and md1 is the actual user portion.

                  It uses 128MB on each drive for swap as well.

                  I've modified mine to give me a serial console on the UPS serial port
                  and installed SSH so I can connect remotely. It's actually very
                  similar to the new Kuro Box.
                • Roger Richards
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 2, 2005
                    Does the TeraStation support NFS?
                  • Paul Milligan
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 3, 2005

                      As far as I know the TeraStation is a big Linkstation with a 266Mhz Processor, 512Mb Ram, 1GB Ethernet and 4 USB ports. The kernel boot message reports the kernel name as linkstation, so once you hack it, it should do everything the linkstation does but with added pzazz. However all my knowledge is based on reading Japanese hacker websites with a better translator than Bablefish (it still translates “serial port” as “cereal port”, maybe in Japan they give them away as prizes in cornflakes packets!)

                      I’m currently struggling with my conscience to justify buying one for home use!

                        > As far as I know the TeraStation is a big Linkstation with a 266Mhz
                        > Processor, 512Mb Ram, 1GB Ethernet and 4 USB ports.

                        It's only 128MB of RAM. The reviews out there which say 512MB are
                        wrong. No clue where they got 512MB from as from visual inspection of
                        the board you'll see 4x 32MB and it shows only 128MB from within Linux
                        as well.

                        > The kernel boot message
                        > reports the kernel name as linkstation, so once you hack it, it
                        should do
                        > everything the linkstation does but with added pzazz. However all my
                        > knowledge is based on reading Japanese hacker websites with a better
                        > translator than Bablefish (it still translates "serial port" as "cereal
                        > port", maybe in Japan they give them away as prizes in cornflakes
                        packets!)

                        Yeah. Hardwarewise it's very similar to the KuroBox HG except that
                        it's got an extra IDE controller and some extra LEDs. Most stuff
                        compiled for a KuroBox/LinkStation should run without any problems.
                        Before I compiled a newer version myself, I used the OpenSSH tarball
                        for the KuroBox.
                      • Trevor
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 3, 2005
                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Roger Richards"
                          <roger_richards@h...> wrote:
                          > Does the TeraStation support NFS?

                          Nope. Not by default. The standard firmware for it only supports
                          Samba, AppleTalk and FTP.