Measure network performance of your Linkstation

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 11, 2005
      Hi,

      today I had problems with the network speed of my Linkstation II. I
      wanted to measure the network throughput between my windows station
      and the Linkstation II. I didn't want to do a ftp transfer and wait
      for the statistics at the end of the transmission and thus remembered
      the good old "Netio". Unfortunately I found no precompiled version for
      a mips-based Linux so I started my crosscompiler.

      You can find the result in the zip file at
      http://www.geishuettner.de/docs/Linkstation/. By the way: I found that
      my network transmission didn't go higher than ~500KB/s. I found out
      that my old hub didn't like the Linkstation and somehow it's auto
      detect went wrong. After changing the hub everything works fine and I
      have a maximum of >10000KB/s using netio and about 5MB/s when
      transferring files via Samba (this is below the theoretical maximum:
      but what can I do, the cpu obviously doesn't allow more than this.