Re: Using an USB disk with a NTFS partition on it

  • Jonathan Schott
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 10, 2005
      sluderitz wrote:
      > I am not a linux expert, but am I getting this right: After
      > installing
      > things the way you suggest I will not be able to write to the NTFS
      > USB-drive? Would there be a secure way to do this? Would one have to
      > upgrade the kernal on the Linkstation?

      Hi Stephan,

      first of all, please direct your mails on this topic to the LS-group
      mailing list or add a CC so that others can profit from our discussion. :-)

      The LS Kernel in general isn't capable of (safely) writing to a NTFS
      partition because this feature is still experimental in 2.4.xx. However,
      the default scripts on the LS mount every partition on a USB disk as rw
      and - this is the main cause for my mod - they mount them without
      Unicode (utf8) support. The problem is that modern NTFS versions always
      use Unicode and without specifying it at the time of mount you see
      nothing on the disk at all. By fixing this I also changed the default
      mode to ro for NTFS partitions because of the facts mentioned at the
      beginning. So, in fact I don't disable the write support - there is no
      (safe) NTFS write support out of the box.

      If you want to write to a NTFS partition you should e.g. use the captive
      file system drivers (http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/).
      They use the original Microsoft drivers an can so guarantee a safe
      access to NTFS partitions. Unfortunately, I don't have any experiences
      with them.

      Good luck and bes regards,
      Jonathan