Re: New Hardware of Linkstation 250 - Hacking the box (second step to success)

  • Jonathan Schott
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
      balimbabullabe schrieb:

      >>Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
      >>distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
      >>utilities very well.
      >

      > Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
      > think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

      Debian supports both, big and little endian MIPS. The first is
      debian-mips and the second is debian-mipsel... (see
      http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/index.en.html) You can get the binaries
      for both architectures from www.debian.org.

      But to have a working cross-build environment is of course always a good
      thing... :-)

      Regards,
      Jonathan
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
        Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
        on a MIPS cpu.

        If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
        and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
        other things ;-)
      • Jonathan Schott
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
          balimbabullabe schrieb:

          > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
          > on a MIPS cpu.
          >
          > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
          > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
          > other things ;-)

          No. 1

          :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
          Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
          interested in your efforts!

          Best regards,
          Jonathan
        • Scott Leighton
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
            On Sunday 10 April 2005 9:09 am, balimbabullabe wrote:
            > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
            > on a MIPS cpu.
            >
            > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
            > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
            > other things ;-)

            I don't even own the mips version of LS, but I know I'd like
            to know how it's done. I'm sure there's at least 9 others
            that want to know too.

            Scott

            --
            POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
            http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
              No 2

              Hello,

              I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
              can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

              Many thanks

              bmwbiker69

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
              <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

              > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
              > on a MIPS cpu.
              >
              > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
              > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
              > other things ;-)
            • Simon Middleton
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                balimbabullabe wrote:

                > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                > on a MIPS cpu.
                >
                > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                > other things ;-)

                Well I have a new LS andn although it looks your previous posts have the
                important info required I'm sure I'd benefit from the detailed HOWTO.

                Ta.

                -- Simon.
              • Jonathan Schott
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                  bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                  > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                  > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                  Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                  second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.

                  Regards,
                  Jonathan
                • balimbabullabe
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                    I'm German too and I got a Linkstation with firmware 2.02 just this week.

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                    <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                    > balimbabullabe schrieb:
                    > >
                    > > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                    > > on a MIPS cpu.
                    > >
                    > > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                    > > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                    > > other things ;-)
                    >
                    > No. 1
                    >
                    > :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                    > Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                    > interested in your efforts!
                    >
                    > Best regards,
                    > Jonathan
                  • balimbabullabe
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                      I bought it last week in Germany from a company called mercateo. But I
                      think they only deliver to business customers and not privateers.

                      <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                      > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                      > > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany
                      and I
                      > > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.
                      > >

                      > Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                      > second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Jonathan
                    • whodiini3
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                        I for one wouldlike to know.

                        THX

                        <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                        > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's
                        based
                        > on a MIPS cpu.
                        >
                        > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make
                        one
                        > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                        > other things ;-)
                      • cherrytreeproduction
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                          I want to know how it works, too....

                          i think there are enough who need this info...so please do a detailed
                          descripton....

                          THX

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"