New Linkstation 160 GB and Slimserver

  • manuel_rathmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 10 4:32 AM

      after my harddrive just went up in smoke most probaply because I left
      my computer running for too long due to my Squeezebox I am thinking of
      buying a Linkstation to get around this issue.

      I have seen several posts that it is possible to get the slimserver
      software running on a Linkstation. I just wanted to double check that
      this is also possible with the latest Linkstations as I am just about
      to buy one. I seem to remember having read somewhere that the new
      firmware does not allow this anymore...

      Anyone any idea?

      Thanks for your help,
      Manuel
    • Doug LaRue
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 12 3:46 PM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "manuel_rathmann"
        <manuel_rathmann@y...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > after my harddrive just went up in smoke most probaply because I left
        > my computer running for too long due to my Squeezebox I am thinking of
        > buying a Linkstation to get around this issue.
        >
        > I have seen several posts that it is possible to get the slimserver
        > software running on a Linkstation. I just wanted to double check that
        > this is also possible with the latest Linkstations as I am just about
        > to buy one. I seem to remember having read somewhere that the new
        > firmware does not allow this anymore...
        >
        > Anyone any idea?
        >
        > Thanks for your help,
        > Manuel

        I think the issue was/is with the new models being MIPS based and not
        PowerPC based. v1.xx firmware means PPC, while v2.xx means MIPS. FWIW,
        I just received a 160GB LS from Buy.com and it has v1.44 firmware.