Re: New Hardware of Linkstation 250 - Hacking the box (second step to success)

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
      > Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
      > distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
      > utilities very well.

      Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
      think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

      Anyway: I found a cross compiler I can use to compile programs for the
      Linkstation. At least the hello world I compiled runs fine ;-)

      What did I do ?

      - Install Fedora core 3
      - download the eldk iso for mips from www.denx.de (or better: one of
      the mirrors listed in
      http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKAvailability)
      - install the eldk (see 3.4.3 from the wiki
      http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage)
      - set up the eldk (see 3.5, use mips_4KCle for CROSS_COMPILE)
      - compile the -static binary
      - transfer the binary via ftp to the Linkstation
      - chown to 777 the transferred file using the exec.pl mentioned earlier
      - run the binary using exec.pl and saw the output in my browser

      => so this was the first compiled binary for mips architecture on
      Linkstation.

      Let's see if can get more programs running ...
    • Jonathan Schott
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
        balimbabullabe schrieb:

        >>Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
        >>distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
        >>utilities very well.
        >

        > Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
        > think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

        Debian supports both, big and little endian MIPS. The first is
        debian-mips and the second is debian-mipsel... (see
        http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/index.en.html) You can get the binaries
        for both architectures from www.debian.org.

        But to have a working cross-build environment is of course always a good
        thing... :-)

        Regards,
        Jonathan
      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
          Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
          on a MIPS cpu.

          If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
          and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
          other things ;-)
        • Jonathan Schott
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
            balimbabullabe schrieb:

            > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
            > on a MIPS cpu.
            >
            > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
            > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
            > other things ;-)

            No. 1

            :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
            Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
            interested in your efforts!

            Best regards,
            Jonathan
          • Scott Leighton
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
              On Sunday 10 April 2005 9:09 am, balimbabullabe wrote:
              > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
              > on a MIPS cpu.
              >
              > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
              > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
              > other things ;-)

              I don't even own the mips version of LS, but I know I'd like
              to know how it's done. I'm sure there's at least 9 others
              that want to know too.

              Scott

              --
              POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
              http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                No 2

                Hello,

                I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                Many thanks

                bmwbiker69

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                > on a MIPS cpu.
                >
                > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                > other things ;-)
              • Simon Middleton
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                  balimbabullabe wrote:

                  > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                  > on a MIPS cpu.
                  >
                  > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                  > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                  > other things ;-)

                  Well I have a new LS andn although it looks your previous posts have the
                  important info required I'm sure I'd benefit from the detailed HOWTO.

                  Ta.

                  -- Simon.
                • Jonathan Schott
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                    bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                    > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                    > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                    Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                    second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.

                    Regards,
                    Jonathan
                  • balimbabullabe
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                      I'm German too and I got a Linkstation with firmware 2.02 just this week.

                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                      <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                      > balimbabullabe schrieb:
                      > >
                      > > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                      > > on a MIPS cpu.
                      > >
                      > > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                      > > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                      > > other things ;-)
                      >
                      > No. 1
                      >
                      > :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                      > Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                      > interested in your efforts!
                      >
                      > Best regards,
                      > Jonathan
                    • balimbabullabe
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                        I bought it last week in Germany from a company called mercateo. But I
                        think they only deliver to business customers and not privateers.

                        <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                        > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                        > > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany
                        and I
                        > > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.
                        > >

                        > Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                        > second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Jonathan
                      • whodiini3
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                          I for one wouldlike to know.

                          THX

                          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                          > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's
                          based
                          > on a MIPS cpu.
                          >
                          > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make
                          one
                          > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                          > other things ;-)
                        • cherrytreeproduction
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                            I want to know how it works, too....

                            i think there are enough who need this info...so please do a detailed
                            descripton....

                            THX

                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"