Re: New Hardware of Linkstation 250 - Hacking the box (first step to success)

  • Jonathan Schott
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
      balimbabullabe schrieb:

      > Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...

      Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
      distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
      utilities very well.

      Regards,
      Jonathan
    • balimbabullabe
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
        > Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
        > distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
        > utilities very well.

        Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
        think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

        Anyway: I found a cross compiler I can use to compile programs for the
        Linkstation. At least the hello world I compiled runs fine ;-)

        What did I do ?

        - Install Fedora core 3
        - download the eldk iso for mips from www.denx.de (or better: one of
        the mirrors listed in
        http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKAvailability)
        - install the eldk (see 3.4.3 from the wiki
        http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage)
        - set up the eldk (see 3.5, use mips_4KCle for CROSS_COMPILE)
        - compile the -static binary
        - transfer the binary via ftp to the Linkstation
        - chown to 777 the transferred file using the exec.pl mentioned earlier
        - run the binary using exec.pl and saw the output in my browser

        => so this was the first compiled binary for mips architecture on
        Linkstation.

        Let's see if can get more programs running ...
      • Jonathan Schott
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
          balimbabullabe schrieb:

          >>Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
          >>distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
          >>utilities very well.
          >

          > Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
          > think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

          Debian supports both, big and little endian MIPS. The first is
          debian-mips and the second is debian-mipsel... (see
          http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/index.en.html) You can get the binaries
          for both architectures from www.debian.org.

          But to have a working cross-build environment is of course always a good
          thing... :-)

          Regards,
          Jonathan
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
            Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
            on a MIPS cpu.

            If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
            and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
            other things ;-)
          • Jonathan Schott
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
              balimbabullabe schrieb:

              > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
              > on a MIPS cpu.
              >
              > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
              > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
              > other things ;-)

              No. 1

              :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
              Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
              interested in your efforts!

              Best regards,
              Jonathan
            • Scott Leighton
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                On Sunday 10 April 2005 9:09 am, balimbabullabe wrote:
                > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                > on a MIPS cpu.
                >
                > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                > other things ;-)

                I don't even own the mips version of LS, but I know I'd like
                to know how it's done. I'm sure there's at least 9 others
                that want to know too.

                Scott

                --
                POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
                http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                  No 2

                  Hello,

                  I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                  can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                  Many thanks

                  bmwbiker69

                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                  <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                  > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                  > on a MIPS cpu.
                  >
                  > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                  > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                  > other things ;-)
                • Simon Middleton
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                    balimbabullabe wrote:

                    > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                    > on a MIPS cpu.
                    >
                    > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                    > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                    > other things ;-)

                    Well I have a new LS andn although it looks your previous posts have the
                    important info required I'm sure I'd benefit from the detailed HOWTO.

                    Ta.

                    -- Simon.
                  • Jonathan Schott
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                      bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                      > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                      > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                      Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                      second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.

                      Regards,
                      Jonathan
                    • balimbabullabe
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                        I'm German too and I got a Linkstation with firmware 2.02 just this week.

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                        <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                        > balimbabullabe schrieb:
                        > >
                        > > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                        > > on a MIPS cpu.
                        > >
                        > > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                        > > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                        > > other things ;-)
                        >
                        > No. 1
                        >
                        > :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                        > Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                        > interested in your efforts!
                        >
                        > Best regards,
                        > Jonathan
                      • balimbabullabe
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                          I bought it last week in Germany from a company called mercateo. But I
                          think they only deliver to business customers and not privateers.

                          <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                          > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                          > > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany
                          and I
                          > > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.
                          > >

                          > Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                          > second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.
                          >
                          > Regards,
                          > Jonathan
                        • whodiini3
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                            I for one wouldlike to know.

                            THX

                            <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                            > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's
                            based
                            > on a MIPS cpu.
                            >
                            > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make
                            one
                            > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                            > other things ;-)
                          • cherrytreeproduction
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                              I want to know how it works, too....

                              i think there are enough who need this info...so please do a detailed
                              descripton....

                              THX

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"