Linkstation + Slimserver - WinXP (Idiots) Guide

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
      Ok, it has taken up far too much time of my day today but I have
      finally got Slimserver working on my Linkstation! Many thanks go out
      to Jamy1975 and my mate Neil for the baptism of fire into Linux (I
      am sooo glad I am old enough to remember DOS).

      As good as Jamy1975's idiot guide is, I am going to do my own which
      really will be a step by step guide into getting Slimserver working
      on a Linkstation and it will be from a WinXP point of view because I
      think, for better or worse most people will be using WinXP.

      Of course as soon as it is finished I will upload it here for all to
      use (and abuse).

      Many thanks again to all those who have helped.

      Paul
    • James S Stubbs
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
        Paul wrote:

        > Ok, it has taken up far too much time of my day today but I have
        > finally got Slimserver working on my Linkstation! Many thanks go out
        > to Jamy1975 and my mate Neil for the baptism of fire into Linux (I
        > am sooo glad I am old enough to remember DOS).
        >
        > As good as Jamy1975's idiot guide is, I am going to do my own which
        > really will be a step by step guide into getting Slimserver working
        > on a Linkstation and it will be from a WinXP point of view because I
        > think, for better or worse most people will be using WinXP.
        >
        > Of course as soon as it is finished I will upload it here for all to
        > use (and abuse).
        >
        > Many thanks again to all those who have helped.
        >
        > Paul

        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/O7EolB/TM

        Hi Paul,

        I await in real anticipation, I too am an XP user and most of this is
        double dutch, despite how much I try read up on it. I guess what I need
        is a real world example and then I may understand a bit more.

        I can't wait to get my Slimserver running on the LinkStation. My Slimp3
        is the best gadget I have ever bought, hope the LinkStation is my second .

        Best wishes.

        James.
      • jamy1975
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2004
          For winxp the only thing that really changes is the need for a tool
          like winrar that can work with tar files, and a clean text editor that
          will not add any extraneous characters to text files. A good text
          editor for this purpose is www.editpad.net/editpadlite.html

          Jamy