Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: New Hardware of Linkstation 250 - Hacking the box (hopefully)

  • Simon Middleton
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8 1:46 AM
      balimbabullabe wrote:

      > This was what I tried next and - yes - I had some success.
      >
      > As mentioned earlier I disassembled the box and was able to connect
      > the hard disc to a normal x86 pc.

      Hi, That's all great info. I'm very interested to hear how you get on
      and if you can get the box telnettable without too much hacking required

      Cheers,

      -- Simon.
    • jceklosk
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 8 5:48 AM
        Here is the firmware location:

        ftp://206.135.38.243
        login: "public"
        password: "new stuff" (YES this is a space here!)

        Joe
      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 8 11:18 AM
          It worked, I`m now able to run any command on the box I want to. No
          interactive programs yet (only those that run and terminate without
          any keyboard interaction) but I`m working on this.

          I connected the hard drive to a x86 pc as mentioned in my earlier
          post, went to /mnt/hda1/www/cgi-bin and copied the usb.pl to exec.pl.
          Then I vi-ed the file and changed it to

          #! /usr/bin/perl

          print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

          my( $dummy, $cmd ) = split( "=", $ENV{"QUERY_STRING"} );
          $cmd =~ s/\%([A-Fa-f0-9]{2})/pack('C', hex($1))/seg;
          # borrowed from
          http://support.internetconnection.net/CODE_LIBRARY/Perl_URL_Encode_and_Decode.shtml

          print "executing command: '" . $cmd . "'\n";
          print `$cmd`;

          This enables me to run any command from my browser e.g. using the url

          http://192.168.0.3/cgi-bin/exec.pl?cmd=ls / -lR

          (If your browser does not replace space automatically replace each
          space character with %20)

          This outputs the complete content of the root directory and all
          directories beneath to the browser. The line breaks are not displayed
          correctly but as soon as I display the html source I have a quite
          readable form.

          Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...
        • Jonathan Schott
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8 2:04 PM
            balimbabullabe schrieb:

            > Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...

            Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
            distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
            utilities very well.

            Regards,
            Jonathan
          • balimbabullabe
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 10 3:55 AM
              > Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
              > distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
              > utilities very well.

              Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
              think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

              Anyway: I found a cross compiler I can use to compile programs for the
              Linkstation. At least the hello world I compiled runs fine ;-)

              What did I do ?

              - Install Fedora core 3
              - download the eldk iso for mips from www.denx.de (or better: one of
              the mirrors listed in
              http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKAvailability)
              - install the eldk (see 3.4.3 from the wiki
              http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage)
              - set up the eldk (see 3.5, use mips_4KCle for CROSS_COMPILE)
              - compile the -static binary
              - transfer the binary via ftp to the Linkstation
              - chown to 777 the transferred file using the exec.pl mentioned earlier
              - run the binary using exec.pl and saw the output in my browser

              => so this was the first compiled binary for mips architecture on
              Linkstation.

              Let's see if can get more programs running ...
            • Jonathan Schott
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10 6:56 AM
                balimbabullabe schrieb:

                >>Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
                >>distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
                >>utilities very well.
                >

                > Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
                > think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

                Debian supports both, big and little endian MIPS. The first is
                debian-mips and the second is debian-mipsel... (see
                http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/index.en.html) You can get the binaries
                for both architectures from www.debian.org.

                But to have a working cross-build environment is of course always a good
                thing... :-)

                Regards,
                Jonathan
              • balimbabullabe
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10 9:09 AM
                  Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                  on a MIPS cpu.

                  If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                  and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                  other things ;-)
                • Jonathan Schott
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10 9:17 AM
                    balimbabullabe schrieb:

                    > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                    > on a MIPS cpu.
                    >
                    > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                    > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                    > other things ;-)

                    No. 1

                    :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                    Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                    interested in your efforts!

                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan
                  • Scott Leighton
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10 9:18 AM
                      On Sunday 10 April 2005 9:09 am, balimbabullabe wrote:
                      > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                      > on a MIPS cpu.
                      >
                      > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                      > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                      > other things ;-)

                      I don't even own the mips version of LS, but I know I'd like
                      to know how it's done. I'm sure there's at least 9 others
                      that want to know too.

                      Scott

                      --
                      POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
                      http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10 9:53 AM
                        No 2

                        Hello,

                        I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                        can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                        Many thanks

                        bmwbiker69

                        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                        <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                        > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                        > on a MIPS cpu.
                        >
                        > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                        > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                        > other things ;-)
                      • Simon Middleton
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10 9:54 AM
                          balimbabullabe wrote:

                          > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                          > on a MIPS cpu.
                          >
                          > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                          > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                          > other things ;-)

                          Well I have a new LS andn although it looks your previous posts have the
                          important info required I'm sure I'd benefit from the detailed HOWTO.

                          Ta.

                          -- Simon.
                        • Jonathan Schott
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10 9:59 AM
                            bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                            > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                            > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                            Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                            second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.

                            Regards,
                            Jonathan
                          • balimbabullabe
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10 10:26 AM
                              I'm German too and I got a Linkstation with firmware 2.02 just this week.

                              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                              <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                              > balimbabullabe schrieb:
                              > >
                              > > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                              > > on a MIPS cpu.
                              > >
                              > > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                              > > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                              > > other things ;-)
                              >
                              > No. 1
                              >
                              > :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                              > Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                              > interested in your efforts!
                              >
                              > Best regards,
                              > Jonathan
                            • balimbabullabe
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10 10:27 AM
                                I bought it last week in Germany from a company called mercateo. But I
                                think they only deliver to business customers and not privateers.

                                <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                                > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                                > > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany
                                and I
                                > > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.
                                > >

                                > Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                                > second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.
                                >
                                > Regards,
                                > Jonathan
                              • whodiini3
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10 12:25 PM
                                  I for one wouldlike to know.

                                  THX

                                  <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                                  > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's
                                  based
                                  > on a MIPS cpu.
                                  >
                                  > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make
                                  one
                                  > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                  > other things ;-)
                                • cherrytreeproduction
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 11 12:07 AM
                                    I want to know how it works, too....

                                    i think there are enough who need this info...so please do a detailed
                                    descripton....

                                    THX

                                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"