Re: New Hardware of Linkstation 250 - Hacking the box (hopefully)

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
      This was what I tried next and - yes - I had some success.

      As mentioned earlier I disassembled the box and was able to connect
      the hard disc to a normal x86 pc.
      I booted off a Knoppix cd and changed the magic signature of the first
      partition in order to make it mountable (using the great
      fix_ext2_magic.c that can be found under links or files).

      The hard disc is split into three partitions:

      hda1 Linux 394MB
      hda2 SWAP 271MB
      hda3 EXT3 249390MB

      I was able to mount hda, if someone's interested I have tared the
      whole partition in order to inspect what's on it ;-)
      Adopting one of the hints found here on the forum I put a new .pl-file
      into the cgi-bin directory which I'm now able to run over the web
      interface. Currently it only gives a "ls /", but as soon as I renew my
      perl knowledge (or find an already working example) I will use it to
      execute every command I enter over the web interface.

      Before I put the harddrive back into the Linkstation I changed the
      magic signature back because I was not sure if the changed kernel will
      accept both signatures.
      By the way: the original signature is 0xef53 and Buffalo changed it to
      0xef54.
      Because I didn't find out how to tell the fix tool how to change the
      signature back I made a small change to the source and compiled it
      again. I simply made the following two additions on top of the source

      #undef EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC
      #define EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC 0xEF54

      and changed the existing line to

      #define EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC_BUFFALO 0xEF53

      This is technically wrong but allowed me to change the signature back.
      Not nice but it works ;-)

      And the best thing is: the box still boots ;-)

      You will hear more from me as soon as I have found my old perl books
      and got the script running ...
    • Simon Middleton
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
        balimbabullabe wrote:

        > This was what I tried next and - yes - I had some success.
        >
        > As mentioned earlier I disassembled the box and was able to connect
        > the hard disc to a normal x86 pc.

        Hi, That's all great info. I'm very interested to hear how you get on
        and if you can get the box telnettable without too much hacking required

        Cheers,

        -- Simon.
      • jceklosk
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
          Here is the firmware location:

          ftp://206.135.38.243
          login: "public"
          password: "new stuff" (YES this is a space here!)

          Joe
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
            It worked, I`m now able to run any command on the box I want to. No
            interactive programs yet (only those that run and terminate without
            any keyboard interaction) but I`m working on this.

            I connected the hard drive to a x86 pc as mentioned in my earlier
            post, went to /mnt/hda1/www/cgi-bin and copied the usb.pl to exec.pl.
            Then I vi-ed the file and changed it to

            #! /usr/bin/perl

            print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

            my( $dummy, $cmd ) = split( "=", $ENV{"QUERY_STRING"} );
            $cmd =~ s/\%([A-Fa-f0-9]{2})/pack('C', hex($1))/seg;
            # borrowed from
            http://support.internetconnection.net/CODE_LIBRARY/Perl_URL_Encode_and_Decode.shtml

            print "executing command: '" . $cmd . "'\n";
            print `$cmd`;

            This enables me to run any command from my browser e.g. using the url

            http://192.168.0.3/cgi-bin/exec.pl?cmd=ls / -lR

            (If your browser does not replace space automatically replace each
            space character with %20)

            This outputs the complete content of the root directory and all
            directories beneath to the browser. The line breaks are not displayed
            correctly but as soon as I display the html source I have a quite
            readable form.

            Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...
          • Jonathan Schott
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
              balimbabullabe schrieb:

              > Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...

              Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
              distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
              utilities very well.

              Regards,
              Jonathan
            • balimbabullabe
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                > Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
                > distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
                > utilities very well.

                Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
                think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

                Anyway: I found a cross compiler I can use to compile programs for the
                Linkstation. At least the hello world I compiled runs fine ;-)

                What did I do ?

                - Install Fedora core 3
                - download the eldk iso for mips from www.denx.de (or better: one of
                the mirrors listed in
                http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKAvailability)
                - install the eldk (see 3.4.3 from the wiki
                http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage)
                - set up the eldk (see 3.5, use mips_4KCle for CROSS_COMPILE)
                - compile the -static binary
                - transfer the binary via ftp to the Linkstation
                - chown to 777 the transferred file using the exec.pl mentioned earlier
                - run the binary using exec.pl and saw the output in my browser

                => so this was the first compiled binary for mips architecture on
                Linkstation.

                Let's see if can get more programs running ...
              • Jonathan Schott
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                  balimbabullabe schrieb:

                  >>Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
                  >>distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
                  >>utilities very well.
                  >

                  > Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
                  > think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

                  Debian supports both, big and little endian MIPS. The first is
                  debian-mips and the second is debian-mipsel... (see
                  http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/index.en.html) You can get the binaries
                  for both architectures from www.debian.org.

                  But to have a working cross-build environment is of course always a good
                  thing... :-)

                  Regards,
                  Jonathan
                • balimbabullabe
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                    Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                    on a MIPS cpu.

                    If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                    and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                    other things ;-)
                  • Jonathan Schott
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                      balimbabullabe schrieb:

                      > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                      > on a MIPS cpu.
                      >
                      > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                      > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                      > other things ;-)

                      No. 1

                      :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                      Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                      interested in your efforts!

                      Best regards,
                      Jonathan
                    • Scott Leighton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                        On Sunday 10 April 2005 9:09 am, balimbabullabe wrote:
                        > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                        > on a MIPS cpu.
                        >
                        > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                        > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                        > other things ;-)

                        I don't even own the mips version of LS, but I know I'd like
                        to know how it's done. I'm sure there's at least 9 others
                        that want to know too.

                        Scott

                        --
                        POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
                        http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                          No 2

                          Hello,

                          I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                          can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                          Many thanks

                          bmwbiker69

                          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                          > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                          > on a MIPS cpu.
                          >
                          > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                          > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                          > other things ;-)
                        • Simon Middleton
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                            balimbabullabe wrote:

                            > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                            > on a MIPS cpu.
                            >
                            > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                            > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                            > other things ;-)

                            Well I have a new LS andn although it looks your previous posts have the
                            important info required I'm sure I'd benefit from the detailed HOWTO.

                            Ta.

                            -- Simon.
                          • Jonathan Schott
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                              bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                              > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                              > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                              Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                              second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.

                              Regards,
                              Jonathan
                            • balimbabullabe
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                I'm German too and I got a Linkstation with firmware 2.02 just this week.

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                                <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                                > balimbabullabe schrieb:
                                > >
                                > > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                                > > on a MIPS cpu.
                                > >
                                > > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                                > > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                > > other things ;-)
                                >
                                > No. 1
                                >
                                > :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                                > Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                                > interested in your efforts!
                                >
                                > Best regards,
                                > Jonathan
                              • balimbabullabe
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                  I bought it last week in Germany from a company called mercateo. But I
                                  think they only deliver to business customers and not privateers.

                                  <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                                  > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                                  > > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany
                                  and I
                                  > > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.
                                  > >

                                  > Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                                  > second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  > Jonathan
                                • whodiini3
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                    I for one wouldlike to know.

                                    THX

                                    <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                                    > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's
                                    based
                                    > on a MIPS cpu.
                                    >
                                    > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make
                                    one
                                    > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                    > other things ;-)
                                  • cherrytreeproduction
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                                      I want to know how it works, too....

                                      i think there are enough who need this info...so please do a detailed
                                      descripton....

                                      THX

                                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"