New Hardware of Linkstation 250

  • balimbabullabe
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 7, 2005
      Hello,

      I'm the proud owner of a new Linkstation (bought today) which I hoped
      would offer the same hacking possibilities I found described here.
      Unfortunately it seems to have the new Mips hardware and a firmware
      2.00. Somewhere I read that there's a firmware 2.02 available but I
      can't find anything available for download. Any hints ?
      And I ask myself if there are any available root hacks for the new box
      (I searched some hours on the web but only found information for
      Firmware ~ 1.45)
    • Simon Middleton
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 7, 2005
        balimbabullabe wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm the proud owner of a new Linkstation (bought today) which I hoped
        > would offer the same hacking possibilities I found described here.
        > Unfortunately it seems to have the new Mips hardware and a firmware
        > 2.00. Somewhere I read that there's a firmware 2.02 available but I
        > can't find anything available for download. Any hints ?
        > And I ask myself if there are any available root hacks for the new box
        > (I searched some hours on the web but only found information for
        > Firmware ~ 1.45)

        There's a 2.04 available which adds PCast capability which is only of
        use if you have a Buffalo LinkTheatre (in which case I believe they give
        it to you on a CD anyway). If you want to download it it's available
        from the ftp site which has been mentioned a few times recently - sorry
        I don't have the details to hand. I installed 2.04 on my LS250 and I
        haven't had any problems with it - but like I said there's no great new
        features either. Definitely no telnet.

        As for hacking it's looking like the only thing to do is take it apart
        and stick the disk in another machine - assuming that would help of course.

        -- Simon.
      • balimbabullabe
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 7, 2005
          So I'm answering my own post ;-) (thanks for the info about firmware 2.04)

          It seems to me that Buffalo doesn't follow the GPL because there is
          only one source package on the webserver and they have two different
          hardware versions, one ppc, one mips.

          Anyway, tonight I disassembled my box (using the perfect howto in the
          link section) and this is what I found out about the hardware
          (pictures may follow later):

          CPU:
          IDT 72RC32-400
          http://www1.idt.com/pcms/tempDocs/79RC32365_DS_83620.pdf

          IDE-Controller:
          ITE IT8211
          http://groups.google.de/groups?q=ite+it8211&hl=de&lr=&selm=1lez0-7NC-13%40gated-at.bofh.it&rnum=4

          USB-Controller:
          NEC 720101
          http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=nec+720101&btnG=Suche&meta=

          NIC:
          REALTEK 8201CP

          harddisc:
          SAMSUNG HA250JC
          5400rpm, 2MB cache
        • balimbabullabe
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
            This was what I tried next and - yes - I had some success.

            As mentioned earlier I disassembled the box and was able to connect
            the hard disc to a normal x86 pc.
            I booted off a Knoppix cd and changed the magic signature of the first
            partition in order to make it mountable (using the great
            fix_ext2_magic.c that can be found under links or files).

            The hard disc is split into three partitions:

            hda1 Linux 394MB
            hda2 SWAP 271MB
            hda3 EXT3 249390MB

            I was able to mount hda, if someone's interested I have tared the
            whole partition in order to inspect what's on it ;-)
            Adopting one of the hints found here on the forum I put a new .pl-file
            into the cgi-bin directory which I'm now able to run over the web
            interface. Currently it only gives a "ls /", but as soon as I renew my
            perl knowledge (or find an already working example) I will use it to
            execute every command I enter over the web interface.

            Before I put the harddrive back into the Linkstation I changed the
            magic signature back because I was not sure if the changed kernel will
            accept both signatures.
            By the way: the original signature is 0xef53 and Buffalo changed it to
            0xef54.
            Because I didn't find out how to tell the fix tool how to change the
            signature back I made a small change to the source and compiled it
            again. I simply made the following two additions on top of the source

            #undef EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC
            #define EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC 0xEF54

            and changed the existing line to

            #define EXT2_SUPER_MAGIC_BUFFALO 0xEF53

            This is technically wrong but allowed me to change the signature back.
            Not nice but it works ;-)

            And the best thing is: the box still boots ;-)

            You will hear more from me as soon as I have found my old perl books
            and got the script running ...
          • Simon Middleton
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
              balimbabullabe wrote:

              > This was what I tried next and - yes - I had some success.
              >
              > As mentioned earlier I disassembled the box and was able to connect
              > the hard disc to a normal x86 pc.

              Hi, That's all great info. I'm very interested to hear how you get on
              and if you can get the box telnettable without too much hacking required

              Cheers,

              -- Simon.
            • jceklosk
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
                Here is the firmware location:

                ftp://206.135.38.243
                login: "public"
                password: "new stuff" (YES this is a space here!)

                Joe
              • balimbabullabe
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
                  It worked, I`m now able to run any command on the box I want to. No
                  interactive programs yet (only those that run and terminate without
                  any keyboard interaction) but I`m working on this.

                  I connected the hard drive to a x86 pc as mentioned in my earlier
                  post, went to /mnt/hda1/www/cgi-bin and copied the usb.pl to exec.pl.
                  Then I vi-ed the file and changed it to

                  #! /usr/bin/perl

                  print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

                  my( $dummy, $cmd ) = split( "=", $ENV{"QUERY_STRING"} );
                  $cmd =~ s/\%([A-Fa-f0-9]{2})/pack('C', hex($1))/seg;
                  # borrowed from
                  http://support.internetconnection.net/CODE_LIBRARY/Perl_URL_Encode_and_Decode.shtml

                  print "executing command: '" . $cmd . "'\n";
                  print `$cmd`;

                  This enables me to run any command from my browser e.g. using the url

                  http://192.168.0.3/cgi-bin/exec.pl?cmd=ls / -lR

                  (If your browser does not replace space automatically replace each
                  space character with %20)

                  This outputs the complete content of the root directory and all
                  directories beneath to the browser. The line breaks are not displayed
                  correctly but as soon as I display the html source I have a quite
                  readable form.

                  Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...
                • Jonathan Schott
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
                    balimbabullabe schrieb:

                    > Now I`m working on a crosscompiled version of a mips telnet or netcat ...

                    Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
                    distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
                    utilities very well.

                    Regards,
                    Jonathan
                  • balimbabullabe
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                      > Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
                      > distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
                      > utilities very well.

                      Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
                      think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

                      Anyway: I found a cross compiler I can use to compile programs for the
                      Linkstation. At least the hello world I compiled runs fine ;-)

                      What did I do ?

                      - Install Fedora core 3
                      - download the eldk iso for mips from www.denx.de (or better: one of
                      the mirrors listed in
                      http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKAvailability)
                      - install the eldk (see 3.4.3 from the wiki
                      http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/ELDKUsage)
                      - set up the eldk (see 3.5, use mips_4KCle for CROSS_COMPILE)
                      - compile the -static binary
                      - transfer the binary via ftp to the Linkstation
                      - chown to 777 the transferred file using the exec.pl mentioned earlier
                      - run the binary using exec.pl and saw the output in my browser

                      => so this was the first compiled binary for mips architecture on
                      Linkstation.

                      Let's see if can get more programs running ...
                    • Jonathan Schott
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                        balimbabullabe schrieb:

                        >>Perhaps you can try the telnet server from the stable Debian
                        >>distribution... worked for me on the old PowerPC platform for various
                        >>utilities very well.
                        >

                        > Tried it, but didn't get it to work. Tried multiple version but I
                        > think some of those I tried were for big endian MIPS.

                        Debian supports both, big and little endian MIPS. The first is
                        debian-mips and the second is debian-mipsel... (see
                        http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/index.en.html) You can get the binaries
                        for both architectures from www.debian.org.

                        But to have a working cross-build environment is of course always a good
                        thing... :-)

                        Regards,
                        Jonathan
                      • balimbabullabe
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                          Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                          on a MIPS cpu.

                          If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                          and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                          other things ;-)
                        • Jonathan Schott
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                            balimbabullabe schrieb:

                            > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                            > on a MIPS cpu.
                            >
                            > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                            > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                            > other things ;-)

                            No. 1

                            :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                            Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                            interested in your efforts!

                            Best regards,
                            Jonathan
                          • Scott Leighton
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                              On Sunday 10 April 2005 9:09 am, balimbabullabe wrote:
                              > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                              > on a MIPS cpu.
                              >
                              > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                              > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                              > other things ;-)

                              I don't even own the mips version of LS, but I know I'd like
                              to know how it's done. I'm sure there's at least 9 others
                              that want to know too.

                              Scott

                              --
                              POPFile, the OpenSource EMail Classifier
                              http://popfile.sourceforge.net/
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                No 2

                                Hello,

                                I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                                can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                                Many thanks

                                bmwbiker69

                                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "balimbabullabe"
                                <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                                > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                                > on a MIPS cpu.
                                >
                                > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                                > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                > other things ;-)
                              • Simon Middleton
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                  balimbabullabe wrote:

                                  > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                                  > on a MIPS cpu.
                                  >
                                  > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                                  > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                  > other things ;-)

                                  Well I have a new LS andn although it looks your previous posts have the
                                  important info required I'm sure I'd benefit from the detailed HOWTO.

                                  Ta.

                                  -- Simon.
                                • Jonathan Schott
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                    bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                                    > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany and I
                                    > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.

                                    Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                                    second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.

                                    Regards,
                                    Jonathan
                                  • balimbabullabe
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                      I'm German too and I got a Linkstation with firmware 2.02 just this week.

                                      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Jonathan Schott
                                      <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                                      > balimbabullabe schrieb:
                                      > >
                                      > > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's based
                                      > > on a MIPS cpu.
                                      > >
                                      > > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make one
                                      > > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                      > > other things ;-)
                                      >
                                      > No. 1
                                      >
                                      > :-) Right now, I only got Linkstations with the 1.xx firmware here in
                                      > Germany but for future purchases, perhaps with 2.xx firmware, I'm very
                                      > interested in your efforts!
                                      >
                                      > Best regards,
                                      > Jonathan
                                    • balimbabullabe
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                        I bought it last week in Germany from a company called mercateo. But I
                                        think they only deliver to business customers and not privateers.

                                        <jonathan@s...> wrote:
                                        > bmwbiker0569 schrieb:
                                        > > I want to know, how you get it to work, because I'm from Germany
                                        and I
                                        > > can get only LS with the 2.xx Firmware to buy.
                                        > >

                                        > Really? Where did you look/buy? I'v just (before 2 weeks) bought my
                                        > second LS at computeruniverse.net - still the old 1.xx hardware.
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        > Jonathan
                                      • whodiini3
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Apr 10, 2005
                                          I for one wouldlike to know.

                                          THX

                                          <balimbabullabe@y...> wrote:

                                          > Good news: I managed to put telnet on the new Linkstation that's
                                          based
                                          > on a MIPS cpu.
                                          >
                                          > If 10 posters tell me they need a detailed description I will make
                                          one
                                          > and put it online. Just to save me work, if noone needs this I can do
                                          > other things ;-)
                                        • cherrytreeproduction
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Apr 11, 2005
                                            I want to know how it works, too....

                                            i think there are enough who need this info...so please do a detailed
                                            descripton....

                                            THX

                                            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "whodiini3"