Re: Slimserver Tar help needed

  • Jonathan Schott
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
      Hi there!

      scottnasello schrieb:
      > I sent this command:
      >
      > :/# tar -zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar usr/local/slimserver
      >
      > with this response:
      >
      > tar: usr/local/slimserver: Not found in archive
      >
      > I am following the how tos, and this worked for the old version of
      > slimserver...
      >
      > my thinking is that it is thinking that "usr/local/slimserver" is not
      > being intepreted as the path I want to extract to. Any help would be
      > excellent

      The problem is, that tar doesn't work this way. You can't specify a
      target folder this way. To unpack the files in the right place simply cd
      into the target dir and then run "tar -xvzf <path/to/your/file>".

      Regards,
      Jonathan
    • Marc D. Field
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 5, 2005
        On 04/05/2005 01:11 AM, scottnasello wrote:
        > :/# tar -zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar usr/local/slimserver
        >
        > with this response:
        >
        > tar: usr/local/slimserver: Not found in archive

        Another option:

        Remove the empty /usr/local/slimserver you just created (rm -r
        /usr/local/slimserver).

        Extract the Slimserver download wherever it stands (cd to the directory
        that has the downloaded file, then tar zxvf SlimServer_v6.0.tar.tar).

        Move the extracted directory where you want it to go (mv SlimServer6
        /usr/local/slimserver).

        BTW, if you do let tar put the files into place for you, note that you
        probably want to add the / at the start of usr/local/slimserver.

        Marc