Re: Help - Broken telnet (and web access)

  • Gareth Evans
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 5 2:24 AM
      You're right. I'm not sure how I managed that as I THOUGHT I had
      copied it exactly. (The moral apart from being more careful, is not to
      close down the existing telnet after you play with the passwd file,
      open a new one to test the root access!) At some silly time last
      night, I finally found out how the reset works (for those of you like
      me who didn't fully read the manual, you have to press it for over 3
      seconds until the red led's light), and that reset the box into a
      state where I could start again, now I have root access, so probably
      more silly questions to follow :-)

      Thanks

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
      <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:

      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gareth Evans" <mail@l...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Oops.
      > > Sorry if it's already been mentioned (as I can't believe that I'm the
      > > first) but I can't find any help on this problem.
      > >
      > > I've been trying to get root access to put mt-daapd onto my
      > > linkstation, so followed some instructions and got to the stage of
      > > copying over the password from my account (user1) onto the root
      > > password and then saving the file. Unfortunatly then I closed my
      > > working telnet access and tried to open a new root access, BUT cannot
      > > now even open a telnet window. I also cannot open web access, but I
      > > can ping it and change the ip address with the supplied utility, so
      > > there is some hope....
      >
      > Just a guess: It sounds like you overwrote the /etc/password file in
      > such a way that you lost *all* your accounts.
      >
      > I think you can recover by reloading the firmware, which restores the
      > operating system but (I think) does not trash the shares on the disk.
      > You'll have to recreate your accounts, though. And when you try to
      > set up the root password, be *real* careful!
      >
      > Dave Kristol
    • irvine_stock
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 5 9:55 PM
        Gareth,
        You got a manual with yours?
        I only got a pdf file on a cd with a bunch of useless pictures that
        show how a power plug works. :-( Then of course plug the network
        here.
        You are so lucky!
        Rich
        <mail@l...> wrote:

        > You're right. I'm not sure how I managed that as I THOUGHT I had
        > copied it exactly. (The moral apart from being more careful, is
        not to
        > close down the existing telnet after you play with the passwd file,
        > open a new one to test the root access!) At some silly time last
        > night, I finally found out how the reset works (for those of you
        like
        > me who didn't fully read the manual, you have to press it for over
        3
        > seconds until the red led's light), and that reset the box into a
        > state where I could start again, now I have root access, so
        probably
        > more silly questions to follow :-)
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
        > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gareth Evans"
        <mail@l...>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Oops.
        > > > Sorry if it's already been mentioned (as I can't believe that
        I'm the
        > > > first) but I can't find any help on this problem.
        > > >
        > > > I've been trying to get root access to put mt-daapd onto my
        > > > linkstation, so followed some instructions and got to the
        stage of
        > > > copying over the password from my account (user1) onto the root
        > > > password and then saving the file. Unfortunatly then I closed
        my
        > > > working telnet access and tried to open a new root access, BUT
        cannot
        > > > now even open a telnet window. I also cannot open web access,
        but I
        > > > can ping it and change the ip address with the supplied
        utility, so
        > > > there is some hope....
        > >
        > > Just a guess: It sounds like you overwrote the /etc/password
        file in
        > > such a way that you lost *all* your accounts.
        > >
        > > I think you can recover by reloading the firmware, which
        restores the
        > > operating system but (I think) does not trash the shares on the
        disk.
        > > You'll have to recreate your accounts, though. And when you
        try to
        > > set up the root password, be *real* careful!
        > >
        > > Dave Kristol
      • born_daniel
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6 3:55 AM
          Rich,

          I got a manual with mine too but it wasn't much better than what you
          got... :-) Only useful for people who are not computer-savvy and very
          firmware-version-dependent.

          Daniel

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "irvine_stock"
          <r_obermeyer@p...> wrote:

          > Gareth,
          > You got a manual with yours?
          > I only got a pdf file on a cd with a bunch of useless pictures that
          > show how a power plug works. :-( Then of course plug the network
          > here.
          > You are so lucky!
          > Rich
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gareth Evans"
          > <mail@l...> wrote:
          > >
          > > You're right. I'm not sure how I managed that as I THOUGHT I had
          > > copied it exactly. (The moral apart from being more careful, is
          > not to
          > > close down the existing telnet after you play with the passwd
          file,
          > > open a new one to test the root access!) At some silly time last
          > > night, I finally found out how the reset works (for those of you
          > like
          > > me who didn't fully read the manual, you have to press it for
          over
          > 3
          > > seconds until the red led's light), and that reset the box into a
          > > state where I could start again, now I have root access, so
          > probably
          > > more silly questions to follow :-)
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Kristol"
          > > <o8l4febh@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Gareth Evans"
          > <mail@l...>

          > I'm the

          > stage of
          > my
          BUT
          > cannot
          > but I
          > utility, so
          > > >
          > > > Just a guess: It sounds like you overwrote the /etc/password
          > file in
          > > > such a way that you lost *all* your accounts.
          > > >
          > > > I think you can recover by reloading the firmware, which
          > restores the
          > > > operating system but (I think) does not trash the shares on the
          > disk.
          > > > You'll have to recreate your accounts, though. And when you
          > try to
          > > > set up the root password, be *real* careful!
          > > >
          > > > Dave Kristol
        • Gareth Evans
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 7 1:09 AM
            I use the word manual in the loosest sense of the word :-) It was the
            pdf tucked away on the CD, not referred to at all in the leaflety
            thing that came with it, as you say not that much use to most people.
            But I suppose most people don't really need that info, as a NAS it did
            just plug in and work....
            But it is all working now as an iTunses server (mt-daapd) and NAS and
            a lot quicker than the NSLU-2 that it replaces so I'm happy.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "born_daniel"